St Mirren V Dundee Utd, 26Th Dec 2013

faraway saint

I know it was a long time ago, but anything to do with it being against his old club - and the one which gave him his chance?

Maybe he still has a soft spot for them, so didn't rub it in with the celebrations... while still putting in a fantastic performance for his true love :-)

good point... I hadn't considered that one.

I know when Higdon had a low-key celebration in front of us at Fir Park he went up in my estimation, so you might just have something there.

McNamara seems, by accident or design, seems to have deflected any discourse on the actual football and turned it in to a debate on how St Mirren's team of thugs tried to kick his young and gifted footballers out of the game.

Disappointed, but not surprised as most managers tend to try to deflect blame away from themselves and their players whenever they suffer a bad result.

What is galling though is that the media are starting to buy in to this, and instead of talking about a great game of football they seem to be concentrating on Goodwin in particular, and Saints 'roughhouse' treatment in general. With comments like "Saints were again lucky to escape a red card as Marc McAusland slid in hard on Gary-Mackay Steven at the start of the half.", and calling it 'ironic' that it was United that went down to 10 men. (I'm sure if that HAD been a red card tackle, United would have a multi-pass slow mo of it on YouTube by now).

What is 'ironic' is that there was only one player ordered to leave the field for a blood injury after a 'coming together' - which he got booked for complaining about - and it wasn't a United player.

In our last two home games (against ICT and Hibs) we saw systematic roughhouse treatment on McGowan and McGinn which was miles worse than anything Goodwin or anyone else in black and white did yesterday, but despite winning neither of those games Danny didn't come out and moan about it.

Sometimes I wish Lennon would highlight these things, but I guess being petulant and partisan should be more of a 'fan' than club approach.

So, as Ron Burgundy would say... "Stay classy Danny!"

Considering how concerned all our pundits and journos seem to be about Goodwin's leading arm, they either missed or choose to omit the Utd centre half doing the very same in the first half. Conveniently left on the cutting room floor that one.

Shame that such a really good football match from both sides has been overshadowed by pandering to their boss who can't take the inevitable defeat after a great run.

Spoiled also by some honking officials who gave us so little up to the red card that they got a massive ironic cheer for an offside. Main stand side assistant was truly shocking.

This seems to be the in thing now, managers deflecting away from a bad the at the office, instead of highlighting their own teams performance, saying well done the the opposition team. They concentrate on what the ref didn't do concerning the other teams players. I'm not the biggest DL fan but at least when we get beat he puts it down to bad day. Missed game due to work as in this sunday, bummer. Just wish we be a bit more consistent, where would we be sitting, I think we have the players.

After seeing the highlights on TV I have to admit that Goodie was lucky to stay on the park after the ugly challenge early doors.

This said. I think Utd committed just as bad, if not worse, offences which also went unpunished.

If Lunny is to look into the incident, as is being suggested, I hope he goes through the whole game and not just the part so only highlighted on Sportscene.

The red card is in the highlights, I'm sure you know where to find them.

Aye but David you sure highlighted the Goodwin incident, yeh he did use elbow BUT there were plenty other incidents in the game. Just wish our other midfielders showed some of the same commitment. When do you ever see Mclean, McGowan ect putting in tackles? Goodwin a bit reckless at times but he's needed. Someone highlighted earlier he's been sent of twice in his career. Some of the bookings he receives are not needed. I've been at game where player commit 3 or four fouls and are just spoken to, then Goodwin puts tackle in and gets booked. Says it all.

McNamara seems, by accident or design, seems to have deflected any discourse on the actual football and turned it in to a debate on how St Mirren's team of thugs tried to kick his young and gifted footballers out of the game.

Disappointed, but not surprised as most managers tend to try to deflect blame away from themselves and their players whenever they suffer a bad result.

What is galling though is that the media are starting to buy in to this, and instead of talking about a great game of football they seem to be concentrating on Goodwin in particular, and Saints 'roughhouse' treatment in general. With comments like "Saints were again lucky to escape a red card as Marc McAusland slid in hard on Gary-Mackay Steven at the start of the half.", and calling it 'ironic' that it was United that went down to 10 men. (I'm sure if that HAD been a red card tackle, United would have a multi-pass slow mo of it on YouTube by now).

What is 'ironic' is that there was only one player ordered to leave the field for a blood injury after a 'coming together' - which he got booked for complaining about - and it wasn't a United player.

In our last two home games (against ICT and Hibs) we saw systematic roughhouse treatment on McGowan and McGinn which was miles worse than anything Goodwin or anyone else in black and white did yesterday, but despite winning neither of those games Danny didn't come out and moan about it.

Sometimes I wish Lennon would highlight these things, but I guess being petulant and partisan should be more of a 'fan' than club approach.

So, as Ron Burgundy would say... "Stay classy Danny!"

Maybe McNamara's going down the wrong road and every SPFL team will try to unsettle United's gifted babes.

This seems to be the in thing now, managers deflecting away from a bad the at the office, instead of highlighting their own teams performance, saying well done the the opposition team. They concentrate on what the ref didn't do concerning the other teams players. I'm not the biggest DL fan but at least when we get beat he puts it down to bad day. Missed game due to work as in this sunday, bummer. Just wish we be a bit more consistent, where would we be sitting, I think we have the players.

Maybe he shouldn't, maybe he should question every debatable decision that goes against us.

Looking back to last season and Isma's dive against Celtic - Thompson practically forced the SPL to take action when he admitted it was a dive on Sportscene whereas if he'd taken the usual option and said "there doesn't look much in it, but Isma's an honest lad he wouldn't go down without some contact" I reckon Isma would have got away without a ban.

When in Rome, don't be a Corinthian!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Love the young players reactions, they're so hungry for it. Wee McGinn going wild when Jason scores :D

my thoughts too, he's genuinely loving having his team mates join him with the big boys.

Plus everyone's talking about United and P thistles wing backs ours have found their feet, now watch them.

aye aye, watched the highlihts again there and noticed Goodwin using his strength, experience and cunning stopping Cifki getting on to the rebound when Kello spilled his shot. Thankgoodness Goodwin was playing or it would have been 2-2 at half time.

at 1m 40secs or so.

Edited by farmer john

A bit disappointed that Jim is being hounded by dundee utd and that they felt the need to put it on their website.

Last season I caught Lewis Guy's sending off on my mobile and the SFA declined this as evidence as it was "not broadcast footage".

Yet jim is all over the bbc scotland website and the daily record without any hiding place, he is definitely at fault, it doesn't look good,

hope the SFA take this extra adverse publicity into account when punishing him..

A bit disappointed that Jim is being hounded by dundee utd and that they felt the need to put it on their website.

Last season I caught Lewis Guy's sending off on my mobile and the SFA declined this as evidence as it was "not broadcast footage".

Yet jim is all over the bbc scotland website and the daily record without any hiding place, he is definitely at fault, it doesn't look good,

hope the SFA take this extra adverse publicity into account when punishing him..

You should have broadcast it on YouTube.