Best St Mirren Manager In Last 25 Years

For all the abuse he receives from a minority of our supporters I firmly believe that Danny Lennon is our best manager in the 25 years arguably 30 years.

The reasoning behind me saying that is he steered us to our best top flight position in that time and winning the league cup in his three and a half season stewardship. Puts some people's criticism into perspective.

Can you name a better one in the 25 years?

For all the abuse he receives from a minority of our supporters I firmly believe that Danny Lennon is our best manager in the 25 years arguably 30 years.

The reasoning behind me saying that is he steered us to our best top flight position in that time and winning the league cup in his three and a half season stewardship. Puts some people's criticism into perspective.

I still wouldn't give him a new contract.

That's only half the story, three cup exits to lower league opposition, two 11th place league finishes - last season only an underprepared Dundee finished below us. The reality is it's been a bit of a mixed bag, if it was a tale of unfettered success then he'd have been poached by a bigger club by now.

Tom Hendrie for me. In my opinion badly let down by the board when he won us promotion.

Tom Hendrie I liked especially after steering us to promotion in the manner we did but he did only give us one season in the top flight. I would put Danny & even Gus in front of him am afraid

Tom Hendrie I liked especially after steering us to promotion in the manner we did but he did only give us one season in the top flight. I would put Danny & even Gus in front of him am afraid

Like Luther says he was badly let down by the board in a time period when clubs in the SPL were raking up debt. Dundee United spent £1m in transfer fees alone to reel St Mirren into the relegation spot that year and despite the fact that St Mirren really did have the lowest wage budget in the SPL that season by some distance Hendrie managed to take it to the 2nd last game of the season IIRC.

Like Luther says he was badly let down by the board in a time period when clubs in the SPL were raking up debt. Dundee United spent £1m in transfer fees alone to reel St Mirren into the relegation spot that year and despite the fact that St Mirren really did have the lowest wage budget in the SPL that season by some distance Hendrie managed to take it to the 2nd last game of the season IIRC.

Would you have had the BoD increase the debt inherited from the previous regime?

Hendrie did a great job winning Division 1 and coming close to keeping us in the SPL, but he was a bit of a one trick pony and his record back in Division 1 was unimpressive.

If he was badly served by the BoD it was in their eagerness to get rid of him at the start of the 2002/03 season, by that point a vocal segment of the support cool.png had turned against him - it was a messy ending!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Tom Hendrie for me. In my opinion badly let down by the board when he won us promotion.

Tom Hendrie wasn't let down by the board, the board lived within their means and rewarded him a 5 year contract, a decision that they would later regret. Tom was so good he went on to be sacked by Alloa.

Gus McPherson had the same budget and was more successful in gaining promotion and keeping us in the top flight. However the standard of football was dire at times. Gus was so good he went on to be sacked by QOS

Danny has also had the same type of budget and won the cup and highest position in the league and tried to entertain with good football. The one advantage Danny has that the other managers didn't have is he is on a much more even playing field. The others had to compete with clubs that were living way out of their means and we were competing against International players that most SPL clubs had.

When it's all said and Danny is probably our best manager in the last 25 years, he has won a major trophy and guided us to our highest position in the league while trying to entertain the fans and also having an excellent relationship with them. The picture of him turning to watch the fans as the 3rd goal was being celebrated by us in the magical cup final will remain with me until I die and earn Danny legend status.

However he has lost his way a bit and the past doesn't guarantee the future, if he doesn't sort out our current shortage of squad options then he could lose his job just as the other managers did.

League cup winners (also beating one of the ugly sisters on the way to the final)

4 yes FOUR outstanding youngsters playing in the top league and playing brilliantly

a legend up front and a dynamic play maker playing just behind

top class goal keeper albeit on loan if not then another outstanding youngster in waiting

a captain i would NOT swap for anyone(we have been crying out for an Aber type player for YEARSSSSSSSS)

When the above does not click the whole package is massively disfunctional !!!!!!!

How can you blame the manager???????

we are not the complete package,

we are not Barcelona

we are not scum from Glasgow

we are not super wealthy

we do not have the devine right to win every week

what we do have is black and white blood whether we win or lose because thats what saints do

WINNING IS A BONUS with our budget

a least we will have a club to support every season

League cup winners (also beating one of the ugly sisters on the way to the final)

4 yes FOUR outstanding youngsters playing in the top league and playing brilliantly

top class goal keeper albeit on loan if not then another outstanding youngster in waiting

a captain i would NOT swap for anyone(we have been crying out for an Aber type player for YEARSSSSSSSS)

When the above does not click the whole package is massively disfunctional !!!!!!!

we are not Barcelona

we are not super wealthy

what we do have is black and white blood whether we win or lose because thats what saints do

Could someone please help this man to his bed,,whistling.gif

only joking every st mirren manager gets my full support..(except davie hay of course)...

we are not Barcelona

we are not super wealthy

What a load of utter shite, Goodwin is hopeless and I would swap him for a Keith Lasley at the drop of a hat.

Would you have had the BoD increase the debt inherited from the previous regime?

No - in Tom Hendries first season St Mirren sold two players for a total of £600,000. In their season in the SPL St Mirren went on to make a profit of around £90,000. There was no summer and winter transfer windows back then but the board were slow to release funds especially when it became obvious that Dundee United were going to claw back most of that 10 point lead St Mirren had assimilated.

And the following season Hendrie was left hamstrung as the board interfered in the dressing room first putting in place a bonus scheme that senior players didn't like and then in their refusal to sack Coughlin after his relationship with Hendrie broke down. Compare that with how quickly Iain Jenkins was removed from his post when Danny Lennon decided that relationship wasn't working. The board let Hendrie down big time and then grossly mishandled his sacking as they attempted to get out of paying him the compensation he was due.

On the contrary, St. Mirren spent every penny of income we received that season in the SPL.

We were the ONLY club in the SPL that season that spent within our means while the rest were living far outwith their means.

Dunfermline for example had roughly the same income as St. Mirren that season yet their wage bill was THREE times ours.

The St. Mirren BoD played the long game. Look at where St. Mirren are today and where Dunfermline are.

Dunfermline got what they deserved. They are now in the Second Division while we are in the SPL for the 8th season with a major trophy in the cabinet.

I say well done to the St. Mirren BoD.

And by the way, I loved Tom Hendrie. 99/00 was by far my favourite season of the past 25 years.

No - in Tom Hendries first season St Mirren sold two players for a total of £600,000. In their season in the SPL St Mirren went on to make a profit of around £90,000. There was no summer and winter transfer windows back then but the board were slow to release funds especially when it became obvious that Dundee United were going to claw back most of that 10 point lead St Mirren had assimilated.

And the following season Hendrie was left hamstrung as the board interfered in the dressing room first putting in place a bonus scheme that senior players didn't like and then in their refusal to sack Coughlin after his relationship with Hendrie broke down. Compare that with how quickly Iain Jenkins was removed from his post when Danny Lennon decided that relationship wasn't working. The board let Hendrie down big time and then grossly mishandled his sacking as they attempted to get out of paying him the compensation he was due.

It as a £30k profit. Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things when up against club's who were literally spending £ millions in wages and transfer fees more than us. St. Johnstone were the next lowest wage spenders and yet they spent DOUBLE what we did.

As I have pointed out in my last post. Look at St. Mirren now and look at Dunfermline now.

You wanted us to go down the Dunfermline route*. How wrong you were.

* Not that it would have possible as we had no line of extra credit.