Best St Mirren Manager In Last 25 Years

But that's the thing Hendrie almost kept us up, it wouldn't have taken much of an investment from the board to keep us up, they basically took the gamble that Dundee Utd wouldn't catch us. I reckon if we'd stayed up that season Hendrie would have possibly taken us to Europe, maybe won a major piece of silverware and would be managing at a higher level now, possibly the premiership. I maintain he was let down by the board that season.

But that's the thing Hendrie almost kept us up, it wouldn't have taken much of an investment from the board to keep us up, they basically took the gamble that Dundee Utd wouldn't catch us. I reckon if we'd stayed up that season Hendrie would have possibly taken us to Europe, maybe won a major piece of silverware and would be managing at a higher level now, possibly the premiership. I maintain he was let down by the board that season.

An awful lot of "If's and mibbies". lol.giflol.giflol.gif Except for the "would be" managing at a higher level, that's SOME assumption.

Have you been on the sherry? whistling.gif

It as a £30k profit. Inconsequential in the grand scheme of things when up against club's who were literally spending £ millions in wages and transfer fees more than us. St. Johnstone were the next lowest wage spenders and yet they spent DOUBLE what we did.

As I have pointed out in my last post. Look at St. Mirren now and look at Dunfermline now.

You wanted us to go down the Dunfermline route*. How wrong you were.

* Not that it would have possible as we had no line of extra credit.

It's not often you're correct.

So have a "like".flipa.gif

I've highlighted the last sentence to stop people posting along the lines of, "it wouldn't have taken much spending...............".

No - in Tom Hendries first season St Mirren sold two players for a total of £600,000. In their season in the SPL St Mirren went on to make a profit of around £90,000. There was no summer and winter transfer windows back then but the board were slow to release funds especially when it became obvious that Dundee United were going to claw back most of that 10 point lead St Mirren had assimilated.

And the following season Hendrie was left hamstrung as the board interfered in the dressing room first putting in place a bonus scheme that senior players didn't like and then in their refusal to sack Coughlin after his relationship with Hendrie broke down. Compare that with how quickly Iain Jenkins was removed from his post when Danny Lennon decided that relationship wasn't working. The board let Hendrie down big time and then grossly mishandled his sacking as they attempted to get out of paying him the compensation he was due.

At the time we received the money for McNamee & O'Brien we were £3M in debt, this was less than a year after Gilmour had become Chairman in the wake of the failed Brealey takeover. I still remember (as a shareholder) getting a letter from Barr Construction saying if we didn't accept the offer they would issue a winding up order on the club. Like ID my recollection is that our profit in Hendrie's SPL season was less than your figure - £23k IIRC.

Um, why shouldn't the BoD be the ones to decide what the player's bonus structure should be? Anyway, again IIRC, the players got their way with improved bonus payments to kick in as long as we were in the Top 3! lol.gif

Hendrie's sacking was a messy affair and nobody came out of it looking well, did he offer his resignation verbally, who knows - nobody who'll be posting the answer on this forum. In the end he did get his compensation in full due to us being drawn against Celtic in the cup.

I don't know this for sure but instinct tells me that Coughlin would have gone at the same time as Hendrie if we'd had enough cash, but no reasonable person (I realize this doesn't include you tongue.png ) can fault the BoD for giving Coughlin a chance.

Luther, Ferguson was let down by the board and went on to bigger things. Tom was so good health was sacked by Alloa

How many times are we going to have to listen to this pish?

1978 - Celtic sack Jock Stein & poach Billy McNeill from Aberdeen who then decide they want Ferguson as their manager. Ferguson wanted the move to a bigger club & behaved in an unconstructive manner. He was sacked and subsequently took us to an Industrial Tribunal which he lost - the only mistake our then BoD made was in not accepting the inevitable and getting whatever compensation we could from Aberdeen.

What a load of utter shite, Goodwin is hopeless and I would swap him for a Keith Lasley at the drop of a hat.

Think it would cost a lot more than a dropped hat to swop Goodwin and Lasley may as well say you'd swop Goodwin for Ledley or Brown. Not going to happen we can't afford him.

Leaving that aside not sure Lasley would be worth the extra money anyway.

got to say I remember the hendrie era well . 6-0 against raith, 8-0 Clydebank and we were shouting we want 9 what a day., beating Morton 4-1 I loved the football we played at times . just a shame the way it ended I think hendrie did actually feel at home at love street. he made mistakes but hey who hasn't . some of the quality of goals we scored under hendrie were first class. we did have some of our worst results also but I was at ibrox watching the seven they put by us and we were still singing to the gers fans we can see you sneeking out . stmirren fans are the best in the Scotland. look at the teams down south who have stole our songs as well , like the Liverpool fans singing oh when the reds go marchin in get a grip .

Like Luther says he was badly let down by the board in a time period when clubs in the SPL were raking up debt. Dundee United spent £1m in transfer fees alone to reel St Mirren into the relegation spot that year and despite the fact that St Mirren really did have the lowest wage budget in the SPL that season by some distance Hendrie managed to take it to the 2nd last game of the season IIRC.

Is this the same St Mirren who were in so much debt that we lost our own ground?

And you think they should have gambled MORE money?Just as well the club isn't in your hands.

No - in Tom Hendries first season St Mirren sold two players for a total of £600,000. In their season in the SPL St Mirren went on to make a profit of around £90,000. There was no summer and winter transfer windows back then but the board were slow to release funds especially when it became obvious that Dundee United were going to claw back most of that 10 point lead St Mirren had assimilated.

And the following season Hendrie was left hamstrung as the board interfered in the dressing room first putting in place a bonus scheme that senior players didn't like and then in their refusal to sack Coughlin after his relationship with Hendrie broke down. Compare that with how quickly Iain Jenkins was removed from his post when Danny Lennon decided that relationship wasn't working. The board let Hendrie down big time and then grossly mishandled his sacking as they attempted to get out of paying him the compensation he was due.

FFS now you are confusing debt and profit.

You really couldn't make it up.

You are financially illiterate.

BTW for all of you Xmas lovers out there, there's a f**k of a lot of you on here posting today.

It's just another day for me but you guys keep telling me how special Christmas is.

Has the hype and fakery of it all got too much for you already? It's not even 4pm. lol.gif

We're all busy enjoying family, afraid you really don't get that.

Enjoy your dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. bye1.gif

blink.png 78-79 you mean ? Another 10 years ? =35

Billy dont you think that back in the day (ahem) we didnt think or care who was the manager at the time

all that mattered was turning up on a Saturday and being very very hopeful...

infact sometimes when we turned up we "expected to win" (that will shock a few)

even so....it was great and i loved it,just a young boy supporting his team ( bragging rights came on a Monday at school)

from era to era we have seen and enjoyed some amazing times....some never to be seen again(europe)

still....tomorrow we will hope and be full of enthusiasm as we always do

(its only after the game that we as supporters moan and look to blame someone)

Danny is doing mighty fine.........can we judge managers on how many hangovers they inflict???