Saints V Celtic Lunchtime Sun 5 Jan

Agreed he has been playing well. 

Is he not the grandson of one of their former chairmen? Surely that means they can get him for buttons. After all he is one of the family.

I'm led to believe they have tried to sign him a few times before, when he was a kid, but his parents/family didn't want him to sign for them as they wanted him to be able to play for his school team which I don't think Celtic allow, whereas Saints would.

It's a rumour I've heard whether true or not? I can't confirm.

The highlights just showed how poor we were at the back positional wise.

Naismith out of position for two goals, McGregor too deep or getting dragged over the place and so on. Other things like Newton being over on the left when he's playing right mid.

Just seems to be a lack of discipline creeping in.

Naismith out of position for two goals, McGregor too deep or getting dragged over the place and so on. Other things like Newton being over on the left when he's playing right mid.

. .or a bit of panic. .

Good half from us so far. Carried a bit of luck with the two strikes off the post, but you need that when you're playing a team with a budget 20 times your own.

Think Cheesy is doing well at the back, he's been barking orders at Kello and the young full backs all game. Definitely a future captain.

Priority in these matches is always to hang in there till half time and take it from there. We've managed to do the first bit and now, who knows?

cheesy is pish

Edited by buddiecat

Good half from us so far. Carried a bit of luck with the two strikes off the post, but you need that when you're playing a team with a budget 20 times your own.

Think Cheesy is doing well at the back, he's been barking orders at Kello and the young full backs all game. Definitely a future captain.

Priority in these matches is always to hang in there till half time and take it from there. We've managed to do the first bit and now, who knows?

oh dear - the blinkered cheesy brigade strike again, he is awful, he backs off players all the time, the man is a massive liability

Good post but could do with more Cheesy bashing

Thank f%%$* somebody else watches the same game as me.

I think Conor has become an easy target for criticism...

It's as if not that McLean isn't in the team to take unwarranted abuse, people are now saying what a great player McLean is and how much we miss him, but having a go at Newton instead.

Lack of effort... chucked it... etc?

What a load of tosh... the lad has burst a gut in our last two matches and taken a lot of stick for doing so when there were much more culpable players imo.

I wouldn't blame the lad if he did bugger off... I truly wonder if we as a fanbase know how to support and encourage young players! bangin.gif

I thought it was quite hard to tell what position Newton was supposed to be playing... my guess was he was probably right midfield as usual... rarely saw him helping Naismith out or linking with him much as he drifted into centre midfield and even out left leaving lots of runners unmarked in his position. I can hardly remember him winning more than 1 or 2 balls in either half. Where he did OK in the 2nd half was when he was given the ball and he did still keep driving forward (without much success) but the flip side of that was when Celtic were all over us he didn't ever seem to be in position to win the ball back or break up play... and yet his favoured position is a holding midfielder?

Since the second half of the Hearts game, Newton has not looked interested in playing football for us.

He's reguarly failed to track runners, make tackles or even generate some form of counter attack. I don't know if he's carrying an injury or just not too interested anymore but he/Danny needs to change it and quick as we cannot afford to carry passengers in our team, especially in the midfield.

Since the second half of the Hearts game, Newton has not looked interested in playing football for us.

He's reguarly failed to track runners, make tackles or even generate some form of counter attack. I don't know if he's carrying an injury or just not too interested anymore but he/Danny needs to change it and quick as we cannot afford to carry passengers in our team, especially in the midfield.

we had two months of hearing how McLean wasn't interested; wasn't working off the ball; was lazy; and was just working his ticket... but now that he is out and missed he is the golden child and Newton is being subjected to the self same criticisms. How long till it is McGinn's turn?

Could it maybe just be part of the price we have to play when playing young players? They will have good spells and not so good spells... when encouragement as opposed to unsubstantiated allegations and criticism would be of more benefit.

(SV...not directed at you in particular bud)

I thought Cheesy played the best I've seen him all season to be honest (edit: definitely an exaggeration reading that back but he did have a good game in my opinion). Was anyone else pissing themselves in the first half though when he found himself leading the attack in the Celtic box? Afterwards when it went out for a Celtic goal kick he had a look of complete bemusement on his face and Kelly ran past him laughing.

Edited by Smeato

we had two months of hearing how McLean wasn't interested; wasn't working off the ball; was lazy; and was just working his ticket... but now that he is out and missed he is the golden child and Newton is being subjected to the self same criticisms. How long till it is McGinn's turn?

Could it maybe just be part of the price we have to play when playing young players? They will have good spells and not so good spells... when encouragement as opposed to unsubstantiated allegations and criticism would be of more benefit.

(SV...not directed at you in particular bud)

I don't think it'll ever be John McGinns 'turn' as even when he's not having a particularly good game - which is a rare occurrence - he's still applying 100% effort. A few of our boys could learn from him.

I like Newton and McLean for that matter but when their body language doesn't show that they're too interested, it's hard to remain on their side. If it's not going your way then it's understandable, it happens from time to time but all we're looking for is a bit of desire and fight when it's needed.

I don't think it'll ever be John McGinns 'turn' as even when he's not having a particularly good game - which is a rare occurrence - he's still applying 100% effort. A few of our boys could learn from him.

I like Newton and McLean for that matter but when their body language doesn't show that they're too interested, it's hard to remain on their side. If it's not going your way then it's understandable, it happens from time to time but all we're looking for is a bit of desire and fight when it's needed.

that's the thing... against Killie... and even against Celtic... when things were not going well, Newton was still at least looking for the ball. Nothing was coming off for him but he never once hid.

This St Mirren team are lazy, and the manager is negligent and unambitious in allowing them to be so. This so called SPFL is there for the taking for any team that wants to work hard enough in training. At the moment all you can say is that Celtic work the hardest, and that is shameful.

A bit unfair mate. Given that we had exactly the same personnel on show as we did 3 days before and that Celtic had both an extra recovery day and were able to rotate their squad, don't you think that a part of the reason for apparent lethargy in the second half might have been due to fatigue?

Edited by stlucifer

A bit unfair mate. Given that we had exactly the same personnel on show as we did 3 days before and that Celtic had both an extra recovery day and were able to rotate their squad, don't you think that a part of the reason for apparent lethargy in the second half might have been due to fatigue?

Their laziness is evidenced by their performance in the entire season so far, not just the second half on Sunday. I am certain that if St Mirren had an arse-biter on the staff, rather than a psychologist, then we might get somewhere. Celtic train harder, that's why they win.