Mackems Foot In The Final

Stuart Dickson

Last time Sunderland were at a major final in Wembley I was there in amongst their fans.

Brilliant fans and brilliant experience.

Last time I was at a Sunderland game they cuffed Chelsea 4-0 at the Stadium of Light. Great fans, great stadium.

Moyes must stay!

What a shocking performance from Man Utd.

Defence is like a ship without a rudder, no leadership, no finesse.

Midfield has no flair and nothing to threaten any other team.

Up front, well, weak.

The amount of misplaced passes, loss of control and absolute panic was in abundance.

United need 4 class players and need Rooney & Van Persie into the mix.

Tough times ahead and I hope Moyes can ride this storm.

PS The penalties just reflected the lack of class all round I'm afraid.

Edited by faraway saint

What a shocking performance from Man Utd.

Defence is like a ship without a rudder, no leadership, no finesse.

Midfield has no flair and nothing to threaten any other team.

Up front, well, weak.

The amount of misplaced passes, loss of control and absolute panic was in abundance.

United need 4 class players and need Rooney & Van Persie into the mix.

Tough times ahead and I hope Moyes can ride this storm.

PS The penalties just reflected the lack of class all round I'm afraid.

Pretty good summary, FS. I'm not sure you could have picked a good team out of the 22 that started last night. No doubt Sunderland was the hungrier team and in extra time looked slightly the fitter team. If United get Mata and Van Persie and Rooney get fit they will improve but like St.Mirren they need a right good CH/Stopper. They need to get back to rotating the squad as City do, not rotating out of desperation to get a result.

The penalties were a joke. Exciting but pathetic. I would love to see Sunderland win the cup but if City treat it seriously and play more or less a full team they will win it.

Gus's (Poyet) knees have gone all trem-bley

he's on his way to Wem-bley

Ha' Way The lads

Ha' Way the lads.......

What no fantasy road trip diary from Dicko this time..? sweet!

Couldn't get tickets for this one. The 9.000 allocation was scooped up really quickly. I'll be at Wembley though - at least I hope I will be.

Can only see it being a procession I'm afraid.

No chance. Out of the last five games, which includes Manchester City's league winning season and this season, Sunderland have only been beaten once. They've won three and drawn one. This is far for a foregone conclusion.

I'd agree with your summary of the game but I think the fact that it was a rather nervy two legged semi final came into play. It was heavily tactical. Sunderland were set up not to lose a goal and when they did Poyet didn't change it to go chasing, they just pushed the defensive line up higher. I thought Sunderland were by far the better team in the second half and then in extra time. They were pretty much camped in the Man U half with Man U looking to play on the break. The problem was that Buttner was doing a good man marking job on Johnson, Fletcher was struggling up front on his own, and when Borini went off with the dreadful Altidore coming on they really were light on goalscoring threat.

I thought Smalling and Buttner played really well for Man U and it was noticeable that Bardsley and Johnson only really came into the game once Buttner had been replaced by Evra. From Sunderlands point of view I was disappointed with Jack Colback as he's usually a terrier in midfield chasing players down, but for some reason lack night he stood off the play too much. I was also surprised when Gardner and not Larsson came on for Cattermole - Larsson's set pieces are usually far more threatening, and playing Altidore wide on the left for Borini seemed strange when Giacherrini would have offered more mobility and flair up front against a tiring Man U defence.

Anyway it doesn't matter. We got there in the end.

Best mate is a Mackem and he was in a fantastic mood last night, being down here i've regularly gone to both St James and Stadium of Light but much prefer the latter although both stadiums are like perpetual motion...people never seem to stay in their seats, perhaps trying to avoid the footy on offer. Still it would be great if the Sunderland could win it but I fear Man City will score a few!!!

Best mate is a Mackem and he was in a fantastic mood last night, being down here i've regularly gone to both St James and Stadium of Light but much prefer the latter although both stadiums are like perpetual motion...people never seem to stay in their seats, perhaps trying to avoid the footy on offer. Still it would be great if the Sunderland could win it but I fear Man City will score a few!!!

The perpetual motion thing - is that not just a feature of English matches? I've been to a fair number of English grounds over the years and there always seems to be a lot of fans moving around. I've always assumed it's because you can get a lager at the match. It was certainly true of Old Trafford, the Reebok and of Eastlands

On Saturday they showed pictures on BT Sport of Sunderland fans supposedly walking out the stadium after 30 minutes with the side trailing 2-0 but anyone who knows the stadium would know that what was probably happening was those fans who had "had enough" were probably just heading to the concourse for an early pre half time beer while keeping their eye on the match on the countless TV screens in there.