Mackems Foot In The Final

Stuart Dickson

No chance. Out of the last five games, which includes Manchester City's league winning season and this season, Sunderland have only been beaten once. They've won three and drawn one. This is far for a foregone conclusion.

I'd agree with your summary of the game but I think the fact that it was a rather nervy two legged semi final came into play. It was heavily tactical. Sunderland were set up not to lose a goal and when they did Poyet didn't change it to go chasing, they just pushed the defensive line up higher. I thought Sunderland were by far the better team in the second half and then in extra time. They were pretty much camped in the Man U half with Man U looking to play on the break. The problem was that Buttner was doing a good man marking job on Johnson, Fletcher was struggling up front on his own, and when Borini went off with the dreadful Altidore coming on they really were light on goalscoring threat.

I thought Smalling and Buttner played really well for Man U and it was noticeable that Bardsley and Johnson only really came into the game once Buttner had been replaced by Evra. From Sunderlands point of view I was disappointed with Jack Colback as he's usually a terrier in midfield chasing players down, but for some reason lack night he stood off the play too much. I was also surprised when Gardner and not Larsson came on for Cattermole - Larsson's set pieces are usually far more threatening, and playing Altidore wide on the left for Borini seemed strange when Giacherrini would have offered more mobility and flair up front against a tiring Man U defence.

Anyway it doesn't matter. We got there in the end.

TBF Stu, my "summary" was more on Man Utd but I agree Sunderland set out their stall to be stubborn and done that reasonably well, albeit aided and abetted by a shit Man Utd team.

I'd never deny they deserved it, you mostly get what you deserve and the final is just rewards for winning the tie over 2 legs, not a one game fluke.

If Sunderland can keep it tight early doors, well, stranger things have happened but if City get their tails up I fear ot could be 3 or more.

Time will tell.

Edited by faraway saint

Couldn't get tickets be arsed to concoct a story for this one. The 9.000 allocation was scooped up really quickly. I'll be at spinning a line about Wembley though - at least I hope I will be.

FIFY

I'll be at Wember-lee

Just like the school Assem-berlee

Where Manuel's team will kick on Ear-liree

But the Black Cats will pinch it Two to Three!

TBF Stu, my "summary" was more on Man Utd but I agree Sunderland set out their stall to be stubborn and done that reasonably well, albeit aided and abetted by a shit Man Utd team.

I'd never deny they deserved it, you mostly get what you deserve and the final is just rewards for winning the tie over 2 legs, not a one game fluke.

If Sunderland can keep it tight (lord knows my arse aint) early doors, well, stranger things have happened but if City get their tails up I fear ot could be 3 or more.

Time will tell.

FIFY

Couldn't get tickets for this one. The 9.000 allocation was scooped up really quickly. I'll be at Wembley though - at least I hope I will be.

I'd have thought you'd be one of the first to get a ticket with all your Sunderland connections.

Couldn't get tickets for this one. The 9.000 allocation was scooped up really quickly. I'll be at Wembley though - at least I hope I will be.

you'll have to battle it out with all those others who couldn't be bothered to attend previous ties and now claim to be the worlds greatest fans. Fair play to Sunderland though. They did what they needed to do. Probably got man utd at a good time, minus RVP and Rooney but that's not sunderlands fault. Incredible drama last night. Fairytale stuff for the mackems. I must say I went upstairs to bed after the game cursing like I had tourettess though. Angry at Sunderland for managing to reach a final as an ordinary/poor side. Angry at man utds non performance when for once I'd have liked them to succeed. Also angry at the fact that every club other than Newcastle actually strives to succeed and not simply exist.

you'll have to battle it out with all those others who couldn't be bothered to attend previous ties and now claim to be the worlds greatest fans. Fair play to Sunderland though. They did what they needed to do. Probably got man utd at a good time, minus RVP and Rooney but that's not sunderlands fault. Incredible drama last night. Fairytale stuff for the mackems. I must say I went upstairs to bed after the game cursing like I had tourettess though. Angry at Sunderland for managing to reach a final as an ordinary/poor side. Angry at man utds non performance when for once I'd have liked them to succeed. Also angry at the fact that every club other than Newcastle actually strives to succeed and not simply exist.

I love this post but I'm not actually sure why. I do get the feeling that Sunderland might just be one of your least favourite sides.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say see ya there (Wem-Ber-Lee) Dicko...

But as you are not crowing from the rooftops one can only assume you are in 'Ticket Poverty'..? no doubt as a direct result of the SNP controlled scottish government, and those seventeen-year-old chargehands you abuse (not in a 70's DJ stylee) at Argos...

Although you could be correct about the double? as in me going to two Wem-Ber-Lee cup finals... Ha'way the Lads..!

I would say see ya there (Wem-Ber-Lee) Dicko...

But as you are not crowing from the rooftops one can only assume you are in 'Ticket Poverty'..? no doubt as a direct result of the SNP controlled scottish government, and those seventeen-year-old chargehands you abuse (not in a 70's DJ stylee) at Argos...

Although you could be correct about the double? as in me going to two Wem-Ber-Lee cup finals... Ha'way the Lads..!

Yep, well at the moment anyway. To be honest I'm quite impressed you've got one. None of my contacts have had any spare and I include the ticket office manager in that list. I even tried the City end but they're like gold dust.

Not sure I'd take a risk buying from agencies given the amount of forgeries doing the rounds.

Yep, well at the moment anyway. To be honest I'm quite impressed you've got one. None of my contacts have had any spare and I include the ticket office manager in that list. I even tried the City end but they're like gold dust.

Not sure I'd take a risk buying from agencies given the amount of forgeries doing the rounds.

Five of us going, and we turned up eight tickets between us seven in club wembley.... (the other three already earmarked before you ask)

You see there are contacts and contacts... wanna a selfie from the big day?

Five of us going, and we turned up eight tickets between us seven in club wembley.... (the other three already earmarked before you ask)

You see there are contacts and contacts... wanna a selfie from the big day?

club Wembley is worth the extra money, went to Everton v Liverpool FA cup semi last season, great seats.