Craig Slater Slates St Mirren

billyg

Who?

ETA: aha....just another cock with an arm tattoodry.png

Craig Slater ! MOM in in our defeat at Kilmarnock , and he's their own player , unlike the guy that we're fawning over for extending his loan , who was hiding in said match !

Craig Slater ! MOM in in our defeat at Kilmarnock , and he's their own player , unlike the guy that we're fawning over for extending his loan , who was hiding in said match !

Fawning over? I must have missed that.

Anyway, back to this lad Slater, is he better than John McGinn, do you reckon?

I reckon there will be a few more come back to haunt St Mirren at some point. We've certainly got two out of the three that were there for trials who look as though they may well be moving from their pro youth clubs to Manchester City and Fulham when they turn 16. That's not to say that they'll break through there but the two lads are excellent prospects and they both have the right attitude.

It's just one of those things though. Pro Youth football is like that. It's not the first time that I've heard that clubs have certain players that they expect to make it and they regard the rest as shirt fillers. Slater is probably right that he needed to get out and be a fresh face somewhere else as it seems pretty obvious that a lot of attention at St Mirren was being put on the likes of Thomas Reilly and John Scullion as first team prospects.

I reckon there will be a few more come back to haunt St Mirren at some point. We've certainly got two out of the three that were there for trials who look as though they may well be moving from their pro youth clubs to Manchester City and Fulham when they turn 16. That's not to say that they'll break through there but the two lads are excellent prospects and they both have the right attitude.

It's just one of those things though. Pro Youth football is like that. It's not the first time that I've heard that clubs have certain players that they expect to make it and they regard the rest as shirt fillers. Slater is probably right that he needed to get out and be a fresh face somewhere else as it seems pretty obvious that a lot of attention at St Mirren was being put on the likes of Thomas Reilly and John Scullion as first team prospects.

Er, and John McGinn....and Sean Kelly...and Jason Naismith.

FFS, Stuart. Must try harder.

Wee Scullion and a few others were told they could leave for free if a club wanted them last summer. Contract is up in June, be interesting to see who gets offered a new deal.

I said it on another thread, if Slater does well then he will be one of the very few (if any) in last few years that we will have let slip through the net.

Good luck to boy, we have brought through Kelly, Naismith, McGinn and Mclean recently. Letting one boy go who may or may not go on to better things doesnt mean our youth policy isnt working.

I also wish Slater good luck.

He's managed to dig himself out of a hole that so many other young footballing talents find it hard to do.

I don't read the piece as him Slating St Mirren (LOVE the title, mind ye... :) ) but as just him telling the story as he was perceiving it, living through the depressing times.... He'd been there a long time, nothing was happening, so he reinvented himself.

Good for him. Especially from Pollok.

It'll be interesting to see how he further develops.

I said it on another thread, if Slater does well then he will be one of the very few (if any) in last few years that we will have let slip through the net.

Good luck to boy, we have brought through Kelly, Naismith, McGinn and Mclean recently. Letting one boy go who may or may not go on to better things doesnt mean our youth policy isnt working.

Correct, and as I alluded to earlier, should he have been given priority in the central mid position ahead of McGinn in terms of youngsters coming through?

As you say, good luck to the lad, though it demonstrates a lack of class deriding your former club to some degree. Just take it on the chin, son, and move on.

I also wish Slater good luck.

He's managed to dig himself out of a hole that so many other young footballing talents find it hard to do.

I don't read the piece as him Slating St Mirren (LOVE the title, mind ye... smile.png ) but as just him telling the story as he was perceiving it, living through the depressing times.... He'd been there a long time, nothing was happening, so he reinvented himself.

Good for him. Especially from Pollok.

It'll be interesting to see how he further develops.

Aye. The only section where he suggests he wasn't supported is here:

“Going into training every day just wasn’t enjoyable any more and I felt as if I wasn’t going anywhere with the club."

Even then, it is probably stretching it to even suggest that this - as I referred to in my last post - could even be considered as deriding the club, in fairness.

Anyway, a bit of a non-story.

Edited by Drew

Here's a wee thought.... promising youngster asks to quit mediocre team, a short time later

he starts training with the rangers, a tax dodging, transfer fee dodging, cheating scumbag

of a club that wont pay debts or fees to no one, then things go tits up, administration, transfer and

signing bans, liquidation (death), youngster then joins another mediocre team.... was he on a promise?.....

How many 17year old kids would ask for a pro contract to be cancelled...

I would like to hear Davie Longwells side of the story.......

Edited by scrappy coco