Telly Programmes

shull

I watched a documentary on BBC3 this week. Yes....you did read that right. A documentary (as opposed to reality show) on BBC3!

It was about two young men on death row in the US. Very powerful and well made programme, that deserved a higher profile. It is certainly worth catching on the iPlayer if you missed it - I'll try to get more details on the title etc. when I get home later.

I have always been vehemently opposed to capital punishment, and this didn't change my position, but it was most certainly food for thought for those on both sides of the debate.

I watched a documentary on BBC3 this week. Yes....you did read that right. A documentary (as opposed to reality show) on BBC3!

It was about two young men on death row in the US. Very powerful and well made programme, that deserved a higher profile. It is certainly worth catching on the iPlayer if you missed it - I'll try to get more details on the title etc. when I get home later.

I have always been vehemently opposed to capital punishment, and this didn't change my position, but it was most certainly food for thought for those on both sides of the debate.

Isn't BBC3 being taken off air, only available on IPlayer in the near future?

Seems a pity, suppose cost cutting taking it's toll.

Isn't BBC3 being taken off air, only available on IPlayer in the near future?

Seems a pity, suppose cost cutting taking it's toll.

Apparently so.

After watching the programme, I stumbled across an online review (Independent or Telegraph maybe?) and the writer actually suggested that the programme was reason in itself for the BBC to reconsider its position on BBC3. There is a fair amount of shite on there (a subjective view, I know), but it is aimed at a certain age-range, and evidently produces some more than decent material from time to time.

Tonight, channel 4, 9:00pm, Inside Rolls-Royce.

A look into making these machines.

Looks interesting. thumbup2.gif

Watched this earlier this morning, not great production, sounded like they had mixed up the background music from Great Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

That apart, fairly interesting.

The quality control guy, Scottish, did come across as a smug cnut. Obviously an important position but he wasn't a very happy b'strd.

Edited by faraway saint

Christ, tried hard, just got more and more of a nothing for me I'm afraid. thumbdown.gif

Delete button wins.

Sorry to hear that FS - by far the best US drama on the telly.

Yes I agree slow burner but the storyline and the way it's presented by going back and forward from the initial crime to the present is really good drama. You get the fact that the two detectives were never the best partners, nor that WH couldn't get on MM's wavelength, but the flawed character in both is being developed well IMO! In saying that they seem to respect each other's detective skills.

I find it very dark and pretty edge of seat stuff. On the other hand her indoors finds it all a bit slow, but she likes Elementary, where it almost always gets tied up in the one episode!

Sorry to hear that FS - by far the best US drama on the telly.

Yes I agree slow burner but the storyline and the way it's presented by going back and forward from the initial crime to the present is really good drama. You get the fact that the two detectives were never the best partners, nor that WH couldn't get on MM's wavelength, but the flawed character in both is being developed well IMO! In saying that they seem to respect each other's detective skills.

I find it very dark and pretty edge of seat stuff. On the other hand her indoors finds it all a bit slow, but she likes Elementary, where it almost always gets tied up in the one episode!

I feel I could well have passed the chance to enjoy this.

The trailers all looked quite decent but once I got into a negative mode that was that.

Funny you mention the back and forth in time shots, this was part of the production I didn't like. laugh.png

I thought that broke up the storyline.

On a positive not, The Blacklist is a series I'm really enjoying.

Edited by faraway saint

Salamander and Line of Duty both building up nicely to a climax. Also enjoying the new Silk series and the Musketeers is providing light relief.

I hope Salamander delivers. I've grown more bored as the weeks pass. There is an amazing amount of intrigue but very little jeopardy. I don't feel the least bit feart about our hero cop (his wife was set up as a baddie whom we expected to soon be removed) nor do I worry about the daughter.

It's all too nice and blandly Belgian.

I live in hope of being surprised.

I guess I don't really care about the nub of the tale - some people long ago in a far-off land, organised themselves to monopolise a society.

Almost forgot to come back to this...

The finish on Saturday was as "gripping"as I feared it might be.

The baddie who was ex foreign legion, tough, super-powerful, intelligent spends tv time assembling a sniper's rifle and gets himself into a distant position within a rambling house so he can take out our detective and A. N. Other, (though none of us -including the baddie - could have known that opportunity might arise.

He then misses and a 'chase' within the house ensues.

Why did he not just get close and use a sneaky pistol? That would have been both intelligent and practical....

But worst for me is that the remorseless baddie ran and hid (with his pistol) from the detective instead of it being the other way round.

What cunning hiding place with a clear field of fire did he choose? A wooden wardrobe . ... with its door closed......Sigh...

...through which the detective simply shot him.

Then the secret all-powerful coterie of rich people have a meeting, which gets bugged in order, we presume, for it to be unmasked.

It was so amateurish, it's almost as if Craig Whyte was on the premises.

Btw...

Mah wummin has expressed equally deep dissatisfaction with the final episode of line of duty.

Too many ends left unresolved, she said....

Edited by bluto

Almost forgot to come back to this...

The finish on Saturday was as "gripping"as I feared it might be.

The baddie who was ex foreign legion, tough, super-powerful, intelligent spends tv time assembling a sniper's rifle and gets himself into a distant position within a rambling house so he can take out our detective and A. N. Other, (though none of us -including the baddie - could have known that opportunity might arise.

He then misses and a 'chase' within the house ensues.

Why did he not just get close and use a sneaky pistol? That would have been both intelligent and practical....

But worst for me is that the remorseless baddie ran and hid (with his pistol) from the detective instead of it being the other way round.

What cunning hiding place with a clear field of fire did he choose? A wooden wardrobe . ... with its door closed......Sigh...

...through which the detective simply shot him.

Then the secret all-powerful coterie of rich people have a meeting, which gets bugged in order, we presume, for it to be unmasked.

It was so amateurish, it's almost as if Craig Whyte was on the premises.

Btw...

Mah wummin has expressed equally deep dissatisfaction with the final episode of line of duty.

Too many ends left unresolved, she said....

Line of Duty just setting itself for another series.

Ma wummin said the same

Line of Duty is good..................................... quality BBC drama - Saw an article recently that said great acting, good drama but lack of focus on location................. which actually got me thinking they were right.

I watched the last episode (and I won't spoil it for anybody who is catching up) and I couldn't say where it is supposed to be happening.

A number of dramas use the location well (True Detective being one) where the actual event is very relevant to the location and they use the setting to create the atmosphere and the background to the storyline.

It didn't stop me enjoying the story or the twists as they developed, although I could see the ending in episode 4.

Guest TPAFKATS

Wandered through the drawing room hoose just now and caught a swatch of Sport Relief.

A few thoughts sprung to mind -

1- How much are the Beckhams worth & how much tax have they paid / avoided?

2- How much are the over heads for this event?

3- How much will actually be made for charidee from this event and how will it compare to thoughts 1 & 2?

4- Does anyone outside the bbc think David Walliams is talented?

Still its nice to see the olympic venues being used again (not counting Cameron's valentine love in) - money well spent.

Wandered through the drawing room hoose just now and caught a swatch of Sport Relief.

A few thoughts sprung to mind -

1- How much are the Beckhams worth & how much tax have they paid / avoided?

2- How much are the over heads for this event?

3- How much will actually be made for charidee from this event and how will it compare to thoughts 1 & 2?

4- Does anyone outside the bbc think David Walliams is talented?

Still its nice to see the olympic venues being used again (not counting Cameron's valentine love in) - money well spent.

1- Lots, no sure how much tax they have paid/avoided, don't really care.

2- Don't know.

3- Millions, don't know.

4- Aye.

Anyway, I donated, as usual, if it helps only one person anywhere then I'm happy. thumbup2.gif

Guest TPAFKATS

Anyway, I donated, as usual, if it helps only one person anywhere then I'm happy. thumbup2.gif

Unfortunately it's as likely to be Davina McCall's fee or the wages for the executives and managers running the "charidee" as opposed to those who need it.

Guest TPAFKATS

If you can prove any of this I'm with you, if not, just leave it, I like the feel good factor it gives me, I don't get much on here. wink.png

Well the comic relief website (sport relief is part of that) states:

All the money raised by the public is spent by Comic Relief to help poor and disadvantaged people in the UK and the world’s poorest countries.

So I guess that's that then... however they also acknowledge that they employ over 200 staff in central London and many more at regional offices during campaigns. A charity that size will have a number of senior execs and the "trips" that celebs take will have costs and expenses. Not to mention being tax deductable somewhere in their accounts rolleyes.gif

This isnt a dig at you or anyone else giving money to charity, especially if it makes you feel good wink.png

I do get rather pissed off at multi millionaires and tax dodgers/avoiders coming getting free airtime on the state broadcaster milking money from the masses

Well the comic relief website (sport relief is part of that) states:

All the money raised by the public is spent by Comic Relief to help poor and disadvantaged people in the UK and the world’s poorest countries.

So I guess that's that then... however they also acknowledge that they employ over 200 staff in central London and many more at regional offices during campaigns. A charity that size will have a number of senior execs and the "trips" that celebs take will have costs and expenses. Not to mention being tax deductable somewhere in their accounts rolleyes.gif

This isnt a dig at you or anyone else giving money to charity, especially if it makes you feel good wink.png

I do get rather pissed off at multi millionaires and tax dodgers/avoiders coming getting free airtime on the state broadcaster milking money from the masses

Good idea, get rid, next year bring on a load of "no marks", I'm sure the funds raised will go through the......................

A. Roof

B. Floor

You choose. rolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...

Mr Drews School For Boys..........................an docudrama on "problem children".

The ADHD kids whistling.gif all in the one summer school, trying to bring them into the real world where "decent behaviour" is the lesson of the day.

The people dealing with these kids have the patience of angels.

I don't agree with every approach they take but it is showing some early success.

Interesting.

Mr Drews School For Boys..........................an docudrama on "problem children".

The ADHD kids whistling.gif all in the one summer school, trying to bring them into the real world where "decent behaviour" is the lesson of the day.

The people dealing with these kids have the patience of angels.

I don't agree with every approach they take but it is showing some early success.

Interesting.

what channel was that?