Telly Programmes

shull

On 3/21/2020 at 8:11 PM, Yflab said:

Maradona documentary on C4 at 9pm tonight.

Watch it last night. 

Excellent program and a reminder what a great player he was.

Shame how he buggered  it up for himself with his drug habit  :(

37 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Good program about Aubrey Beardsley one of the early proponents of Art Noveau, brother of Peter, and drawer of dirty pictures (see below)  by Mark "League of Gentlemen" Gatiss on BBC4 last night - should be available on iPlayer...

328px-Aubrey_Beardsley_-_The_Stomach_Dan

It was fabulous!

I've been a fan of Beardsley perfection of line, space and detail since the Sixties.

(possibly cos even what appears the most innocent of depictions has a slightly nasty edge to it...  :)  )

Round about 1973-75 we bought a mirror in Paisley market (the new cattle market up by Glenburn).

it was quite big.  About 4 feet by 2.  Most of that space was a red and black Beardsley print, with minimal mirror reflection.

we were in a tiny Highbury  loft room and scullery, then.  And we’d gone up to Paisley by train.   It was a stupid thing to buy.

but it was beautiful. It was art.  We discovered that we both were besotted by Beardsley.

we still have it.  It hangs proudly in our fully red tiled downstairs lavvy.  Pervy...   apt.

the film was wittily and intelligently presented by the fabulous Mark Gattis.

Wire in...  :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gx0d

Edited by antrin

I just noticed that the woman on the right (in the image that my link above takes you too) has pulled on a shirt!

in the show she has no shirt.  But she does have possibly the most perfect boob ever seen.

(on second thoughts, she probably has two of them - both pretty perfect.)

Found and watched three 30 minute episodes from a delightful series probably from BBC Scotland.  A couple of guys who like being in The Hills -preferably with a watery aspect to it.  On Iplayer.

Very laid back they are... about how much they achieve on their trips, how intensely they attack it and how adaptable they are to any mishap (slight discomfort) encounter.  I found it all very relatable.

Beautiful Scotland.  shifting weather. enjoyable.

Also great music (I searched to find the guy filming, directing etc etc O'Donnell (?) made).   Kinda derivative at times of The Waterboys but very pleasant and good lyrics, great voice: Beluga Lagoon is the band name.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000bc2d/roaming-in-the-wild-series-1-2-rock-loch-river-coast

Watched The Secret Life of Books: Cider with Rosie presented by Joanna Trollope (I'm sure she's not) a elegiac memoir of his youth in the Cotswalds just after WW1. For them as remembers their first fumbling attempts with girls & alcohol it is still relevant yet describes the demise of pre-automobile society. 

As an aside the Chapter describing his childhood infirmIties, Sick Boy, surely couldn't have been the inspiration for Irvine Welsh? 

Edit - In these Covid times we all have telly (maybe not antrin) & t'internet but back in the day, 100 years ago times were tough with no running water or central heating and having to share a bed with your siblings.

Edited by Bud the Baker

The Olovier-Oberon-Niven version of Wuthering Heights in on one of the free Sky Movie channels, instead I'm watching a Kate Bush at the BBC Special from 1979 - very pretentious but the gal does have some good choons! 

A personal favourite of mine is Them Heavy People which is about philosopher's rather than fatties - and features Kate showing a bit of leg! :wub:

Edited by Bud the Baker

A few years back, I was the Bronte museum in Hawarth with a tour group.

Saw a quite nice lass visiting there with her man...   kinda hunched up though, and collar up, just....acting kinda weird....   thought I knew the face and figured out it was a BBC presenter.

One of my Aussie punters returned to the bus raving about having seen Kate Bush, which I thought, at first, was an Aussie euphemism...

I found out later, that it was a lady pop person.   

I am of an earlier generation... :)

Edited by antrin
spelling

Watched The Vikings on BBC2 yesterday afternoon not the current gorefest on the History Channel but the 50s Hollywood version (pure hokum) starring Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis (horribly miscast in a period role), Janet "Psycho" Leigh with Ernest Borgnine as KDs dad despite being younger than him in real life. :specs

Tony Curtis & Janet Leigh were the parents of Jamie Leigh Curtis...:wub:

0b729be75d8c390d3632e8997e056b6c.jpg

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Watched The Vikings on BBC2 yesterday afternoon not the current gorefest on the History Channel but the 50s Hollywood version (pure hokum) starring Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis (horribly miscast in a period role), Janet "Psycho" Leigh with Ernest Borgnine as KDs dad despite being younger than him in real life. :specs

Tony Curtis & Janet Leigh were the parents of Jamie Leigh Curtis...:wub:

0b729be75d8c390d3632e8997e056b6c.jpg

You should watch the 1994 film called True Lies, in which she preformed a strip show for her hubby in it    :thumbsup

3 hours ago, FTOF said:
3 hours ago, Tommy said:
You should watch the 1994 film called True Lies, in which she preformed a strip show for her hubby in it    :thumbsup

IIRC she dispensed with clothing, on occasion, in both A fish called Wanda and Trading places.

I know. Great wasn't it  :lol:

Watched a Sci-Fi type film which is based on a French graphic novel, called Snowpiercer on Prime. There's at TV series based on the film coming onto Netflix apparently.

Enjoyable, if you're into this type of film.

Vagrant queen, again based on a graphic novel, just started on SY-FY channel.

Watched first episode, and will watch the rest. Reminded me a bit of the excellent, now ended, Killjoys.

• 2 weeks later...

As somebody who enjoys The Chase I was unsure if I was looking forward to the new format which started last night at 9:00pm.

Needn't have worried, Bradley Walsh carries it easily and the hour passed in the blink of an eye.

One lady won £25k, not bad for 10 minutes work. :clapping

On every night for a week, that'll do me. :thumbs2