Telly Programmes

shull

16 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Loved Frasier

Frasier is probably my favourite comedy ever - just edging the IT Crowd.

Working through Cheers just now - I only watched it sporadically when on Channel 4 decades ago so its like watching a new (albeit slightly dated) comedy.

The boy loves all these shows so currently all the above are staples on Lockdown Comedy Friday nights.

Guest TPAFKATS
Fawlty Towers episode "The Germans" has been removed from UKTV due to 'racism'.

It would appear that people do not understand irony and the fact that the laughs are intended to come from Basil Fawlty's racism - laughing at him not with him.

I think this PC reaction across the media world is detracting from, and clouding the real issues - e.g. real evil racism like the George Floyd murder that reignited this whole discussion.

Yes it has been removed due to racism, not what you quote though.

The real story here is that it was removed due to use of the "N word" (I hate that term)

It's not because it was the don't mention the war episode.

BBC had previously edited the episode. Netflix and uktv hadn't.

3 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Yes it has been removed due to racism, not what you quote though.

The real story here is that it was removed due to use of the "N word" (I hate that term)

It's not because it was the don't mention the war episode.

BBC had previously edited the episode. Netflix and uktv hadn't.

Ah fair doos - it was the Major that caused the rumpus in this instance.

BBC suggests it was for both reasons, but I agree that the Major's language would likely be the main one.

8 hours ago, southsidebud said:

Frasier is probably my favourite comedy ever - just edging the IT Crowd.

Working through Cheers just now - I only watched it sporadically when on Channel 4 decades ago so its like watching a new (albeit slightly dated) comedy.

The boy loves all these shows so currently all the above are staples on Lockdown Comedy Friday nights.

You are too young to remember The Likely Lads. Excellent in its time but very dated now. 

30 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You are too young to remember The Likely Lads. Excellent in its time but very dated now. 

The Likely Lads was good, but Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads was brilliant!  It was such a pity that James Bolam (arguably the best tv actor of my generation) and Rodney Bewes fell out not long after the spin off movie was filmed as it might have run for more than 2 series. 

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

The Likely Lads was good, but Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads was brilliant!  It was such a pity that James Bolam (arguably the best tv actor of my generation) and Rodney Bewes fell out not long after the spin off movie was filmed as it might have run for more than 2 series. 

The scene in the film  where they're playing bridge in the caravan, and Terry ( James Bolam) goes outside for a very loud piss, and Thelma says, "That's the first time tonight I've known what he's got in his hand", made me laugh out loud when I saw it when I was in my early teens.

Edited by FTOF

I watched Frasier back in the day.
Loved it.

I also watched the box set which was great fun. Such a well written show.

Despite that, I love the ch4 reruns.

This morning was a bit special...

The very last episode...
Followed by the very first!

I need a wee lie down now...
I'm a wreck!

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

I watched Frasier back in the day.
Loved it.

I also watched the box set which was great fun. Such a well written show.

Despite that, I love the ch4 reruns.

This morning was a bit special...

The very last episode...
Followed by the very first!

I need a wee lie down now...
I'm a wreck!

The wife bought me the DVD set years ago - my son caught a CH4 rerun when we were on holiday and we watched them all when we got back.

I realised that i hadn't seen the last season so it was a total win 🙂

Fantastic show - my favourite

22 hours ago, Yflab said:

I wonder when they will ban this scene.....

Brilliant movie, Tarantino movies definitely walk a narrow line, however he prides himself on hiring a diverse cast. I wonder how long until some bright spark wants Django unchained banned, that truly would be the day irony died. 

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

My favourite American program was SOAP.

Younger buds wont have seen it since it hasn't been repeated on tv.

My son managed to get me all the series on DVD a few years ago :thumbsup 

2nd fav was MASH

3rd was Cheers

Both SOAP and MASH were very funny programmes, but in very different ways.

Married with children, with Ed O'Neill (Modern family), was one of my favourite American comedies.

6 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Brilliant movie, Tarantino movies definitely walk a narrow line, however he prides himself on hiring a diverse cast. I wonder how long until some bright spark wants Django unchained banned, that truly would be the day irony died. 

Yeah on the reverse theme I often find it jarring in period dramas when characters (rarely the villains) come out with "woke" opinions that seem totally out of place for the time - going back I loathed Little House On The Prairie for this reason and I watched the recent adaptation of Pride & Prejudice and thought I don't remember the book character saying anything like that - does it matter, um, I tend to think so I mean you wouldn't have Mr. Darcy (no first name :rolleyes:) & Elizabeth chatting on mobiles or wearing hoodies so yeah IMO authentic language is important.

Going back to the BBCs adaption of Noughts & Crosses which I recommended back in March it's set in a UK where racial (should that be ethnic?) roles are reversed and the plot is centered around the death in policy custody of a white youth and the impact this has on two families one black, one white - time for a repeat!

Edited by Bud the Baker

6 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yeah on the reverse theme I often find it jarring in period dramas when characters (rarely the villains) come out with "woke" opinions that seem totally out of place for the time - going back I loathed Little House On The Prairie for this reason and I watched the recent adaptation of Pride & Prejudice and thought I don't remember the book character saying anything like that - does it matter, um, I tend to think so I mean you wouldn't have Mr. Darcy (no first name :rolleyes:) & Elizabeth chatting on mobiles or wearing hoodies so yeah IMO authentic language is important.

Going back to the BBCs adaption of Noughts & Crosses which I recommended back in March it's set in a UK where racial (should that be ethnic?) roles are reversed and the plot is centered around the death in policy custody of a white youth and the impact this has on two families one black, one white - time for a repeat!

Didn't enjoy that series Bud. 

I spent a lot of time working in Africa and some of this is just so real. 

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

With all the racist stuff going on at the moment, the story about the Windrush scandal should be interesting tonight at 8-15 on BBC2.

You are right. It always amazes me that having invited the people in because we needed workers we then didn't welcome them as they might. Repeated with the EU at a later point. 

Just watched Artemis Fowl on Disney+.

Really enjoyed it.

Given that it deals with Faeries etc, there are obvious parallels with Harry Potter.

However, I found it much less twee than HP and much preferred the way that faeries were portrayed compared to HP.

Well worth a watch if you're into all that fantasy pish, like me.

25 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Just watched Artemis Fowl on Disney+.

Really enjoyed it.

Given that it deals with Faeries etc, there are obvious parallels with Harry Potter.

However, I found it much less twee than HP and much preferred the way that faeries were portrayed compared to HP.

Well worth a watch if you're into all that fantasy pish, like me.

I looked at this earlier, reviews, and they can be all over the place, were very poor.

So much so it's made my mind up to give it a go. :thumbs2

image.png.2f238ee835280ee915f82f45ab8d8abe.png

Edited by faraway saint

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I looked at this earlier, reviews, and they can be all over the place, were very poor.

So much so it's made my mind up to give it a go. :thumbs2

image.png.2f238ee835280ee915f82f45ab8d8abe.png

If you go on to Rotten tomatoes and read the pretentious pish that the critics have written about it, you'll definitely want to watch it.

I found it entertaining and very easy to follow. I thought the actors were good in the parts they played too.

It's almost as if they were determined not to like it, because "it isn't Harry fucking Potter".

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If you go on to Rotten tomatoes and read the pretentious pish that the critics have written about it, you'll definitely want to watch it.

I found it entertaining and very easy to follow. I thought the actors were good in the parts they played too.

It's almost as if they were determined not to like it, because "it isn't Harry fucking Potter".

Or they could be right you're a spam? :lol: