Telly Programmes

shull

Watched Hitlers children on BBC 4 last night. Talking to the children and grandchildren of the Nazi party elites about how it has effected there life. The son and daughter of Herman Goering both had voluntary sterilisation to end the bloodline !! It might be available on the iPlayer, definitely worth watching 

Watched Hitlers children on BBC 4 last night. Talking to the children and grandchildren of the Nazi party elites about how it has effected there life. The son and daughter of Herman Goering both had voluntary sterilisation to end the bloodline !! It might be available on the iPlayer, definitely worth watching 
Sterilisation available on iPlayer? That's why a TV licence costs so much. :whistle

Now as y'all are probably well aware I'm not the quickest of blokes...:rolleyes:

It suddenly occurred to me that last night's screening of Goldstone might not be unconnected with the 2020 series of Mystery Road - I was right the 6 part series starts on BBC4 next Saturday @ 9pm.

Man of few words Detective Jay Swan returns, wearing his trademark hat!  

https://crimefictionlover.com/2020/09/mystery-road-season-2-australian-crime-show-returns-to-bbc-four/

aaron-pedersen-plays-jay-swan.jpg?w=1000

Des

david Tennant portrays serial killer Denis Neilson in a 3 parter started this evening.  ITV 

great bit of acting, rivettin’.  You kinda enjoy being in the company of this Weird, weird laidback character, making the most outlandish comments about what he has done, treating all the slaughter, dismembering, burning, dropping body bits down drains, storing parts in bin bags in cupboards or under his floorboards as moderate misdemeanours that maybe cops will sort out...  

Our pals at the time lived a few doors away.

as we were always out then, I never saw news, never knew how extensive this had been.  Interesting.  And mibbe done for awards...  worthy.

Saw tenet a couple of weeks back.

I suggested we should go to a captioned performance as I’d read the dialogue was “tricky”.

The Boss said NO. Later, I’d “been right for once”.

a complicated storyline.  HUGELY complicated.  Baffling even.  I doubt hearing the dialogue would have helped.

However, I relaxed and went with the flow and thoroughly enjoyed the spectacular visual festival.  All 2.5 hours of it.

I’d even probably go back again see if I could join up more dots in the logic.
(Maybe go alone to a captioned performance.)

Saw Rocks on Monday.
well filmed.

longer than I wanted it to last.

that is all.

23 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

Watched the first half of a documentary last night, The Write Offs, about 8 adults who struggle to read and write.

It was alarming that these people, ranging from 20 years old to 66, had to go through life not being able to read or write.

The tactics they use to avoid situations, the embarrassment they feel and the difficulty in tasks that the majority take for granted.

The real shock was that over 8 million people are termed illiterate.

How can, after 11 years of school can this amount of people be allowed to leave school and not have the basics of reading and writing?

I did have some experience of this a few years ago, teaching 16 - 18 year olds basic arithmetic, or as many of us will know them as sums.

The lack of basic numeracy was astounding, and most of these teenagers were decent enough people, not thugs who had no interest.

There are several reasons.

Our schools are full of teachers who shouldn't be near a classroom for a start and there seems to be virtually no way to get rid of them. Most people going into teaching are neither the brightest nor the best of each generation. I know people who are teaching who don't have an Honours Degree in the subject they are teaching.

At primary school level, it is common knowledge that many teachers struggle with fractions so it's not surprising the kids can't do it either.

Having said all that, I suspect the percentage who end up illiterate and/ or incapable of working with numbers is probably the same or lower than it used to be years ago.

BTW, don't think that those going to study at uni are much better. They're generally incapable of solving very basic problems because they've spent years being taught how to pass exams. Ask the likes of FTOF. He's made a career out of doing just that.

Honestly, I don't know how you solve a problem like this.

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

There are several reasons.

Our schools are full of teachers who shouldn't be near a classroom for a start and there seems to be virtually no way to get rid of them. Most people going into teaching are neither the brightest nor the best of each generation. I know people who are teaching who don't have an Honours Degree in the subject they are teaching.

At primary school level, it is common knowledge that many teachers struggle with fractions so it's not surprising the kids can't do it either.

Having said all that, I suspect the percentage who end up illiterate and/ or incapable of working with numbers is probably the same or lower than it used to be years ago.

BTW, don't think that those going to study at uni are much better. They're generally incapable of solving very basic problems because they've spent years being taught how to pass exams. Ask the likes of FTOF. He's made a career out of doing just that.

Honestly, I don't know how you solve a problem like this.

0/10 from the failed lecturer.:lol:

Must try harder.

Edited by FTOF

54 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

My own, limited experience suggests that there's still too much focus on the high achievers and those at the bottom are written off.

Aye, the great British educational system, if you happen to be bright.

Whilst I'm sure some schools do this, that's not true at all in general.

The focus is on the majority in the middle. Those at the top and those at the bottom routinely lose out unless their parents have particularly sharp elbows.

State schools simply don't believe they are trying to produce world leaders. They believe they are preparing the next bog standard compliant workforce. This is where the top educational establishments have the edge. The gap between the rich and the poor is set at this early stage.