Telly Programmes

shull

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Thought Still Game was very good last night.

Not sure why but a step up on the previous few weeks IMO. 

Probably because you were in a better mood as you urnae going back down South.

Can't wait for the adaption of China Miéville's The City & The City to hit our screens...........

I've included some quotes which may help you understand what's going on.............:unsure:

The City & the City is a novel by British author China Miéville, combining weird fiction with the police procedural; it was written as a gift for Miéville's terminally ill mother, who was a fan of the latter genre.

the hallucinatory aspects of the book owe more to Borges, or perhaps Les Gommes, Alain Robbe-Grillet's subversion of the policier. Most impressively, Miéville’s underlying point, that all city-dwellers collude in ignoring real aspects of the cities in which they live – the homeless, political structures, the commercial world or the stuff that's 'for the tourists’ — is never laboured.

Inspector Tyador Borlú of the Extreme Crime Squad in the European city-state of Beszel, investigates the murder of a student from Beszel's twin-city of Ul Qoman - which occupies the same space but is perceived differently.

See the source imageImage result for cinA MIEVILLE

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, smcc said:

I am not a fan of Still Game as I have never found it funny. This review in today's Herald  seems to back up your opinion.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16090765.Still_Game_review__Comedy___s_character_dies_but_lousy_gags_will_be_the_death_of_this_show/

Yes, I think that review pretty much hits the nail on the head.  It all felt very overdone, e.g.  sweary words need to be judiciously sprinkled to be funny/impactful, not repeated ad nauseum in every section of dialogue or it ends up tedious and self-defeating, like a Gerry Sadowitz gig.   Another example of the overdone-ness would be that a partial sighting of Meena was so rare, with a sharp, rude, but not vulgar, one-liner which made her 'appearances' often very funny.  This is lost when she's 'seen' three or four times a show,   using language that we've not heard from the character before.    I saw a bit of the latest episode and it wasn't any better.  Not enough of Victor and Jack and too many ensemble scenes.  No longer recording it.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:19 AM, faraway saint said:

No Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway this Saturday......................................:(

A dilemma for ITV and Dec, what to do? :unsure:

Never seen it but at least I now know which one's which.  No, wait.  I've forgotten already.    I recall Bill Nighy's excellent line in some film, 'yes, thank you Ant or Dec' . 

22 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Thought Still Game was very good last night.

Not sure why but a step up on the previous few weeks IMO. 

Can't disagree with that. The first two seemed dated and I thought they had run their race but this one was probably as good if not better than a lot in the last series.

13 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Hold the Sunset.
Is this the biggest middle class guff of all time?
John Cleese how the mighty have fallen....

There have been many over the years that match this cr@p. Terry  and June. Keeping up appearances. Bless this house.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Gordon Urquhart said:

Hold the Sunset.
Is this the biggest middle class guff of all time?
John Cleese how the mighty have fallen....

Agree, also James Cosmo, GOT, Braveheart and then this pish. Cleese obviously needs the money........