Telly Programmes

shull

10 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I dread to think what people are going to perceive as comedy in 5 years time, If we can’t laugh at each other what’s the point 

5BCDF73C-AB00-4B35-B7F1-0E44620B4450.jpeg

Yep - must say I roll my eyes at this sort of pc activity. It was of its time and in my opinion no way racist. They were comedic caricatures  - you would be as well saying it was offensive to stupid white people who made up a sizeable amount of the content.

6 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

In recent years both Friends and the Simpsons, amongst others have been labelled as racist and/or homophobic...

Friends and the Simpsons...

Some people need to take a look at themselves

Aye, people seem to scrutinise anything that could remotely be seen as offensive and take it out of context.

Anything could be seen as offensive, if you're sad enough to want it to.

Obviously the "Get a Life" shops are still shut. 

A film called "Gone With The Wind" has been removed from HBO Max.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

I think I've heard of it but haven't seen it.

I'm glad that they realised it was racist before too many people saw it and got offended by it. 

Edited by southsidebud

1 minute ago, southsidebud said:

I'm glad that they realised it was racist before too many people saw it and got offended by it. 

I seen it when I was about 11 or 12, I've never been the same since. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

I seen it when I was about 11 or 12, I've never been the same since. :rolleyes:

Yes - ridiculous stuff

What are they trying to achieve by this?!

It was a film made decades ago referencing a time well over a century ago - how should that time have been depicted in film? 🙂

Edited by southsidebud

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

Yes - ridiculous stuff

What are they trying to achieve by this?!

It was a film made decades ago referencing a time well over a century ago - how should that time have been depicted in film? 🙂

Indeed.

Are they going to ban every film that tells it how it was at a certain period in time, if the subject matter is deemed distasteful by random sections of the population?

It's almost as if they're trying to erase parts of history because revisionism of certain practices that occurred during particular periods of history, has led to these practices being deemed unacceptable in the current climate.

Are Scots going to demand that any film depicting the Highland clearances should be banned?

Or do we ban cowboy (cowperson?) films because some of them depict wanton slaughter of "bad" native Americans (who would no doubt be referred to as "Red Indians" which in itself is an offensive term nowadays)?

Where do you stop?

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

Are they going to ban every film that tells it how it was at a certain period in time, if the subject matter is deemed distasteful by random sections of the population?

It's almost as if they're trying to erase parts of history because revisionism of certain practices that occurred during particular periods of history, has led to these practices being deemed unacceptable in the current climate.

Are Scots going to demand that any film depicting the Highland clearances should be banned?

Or do we ban cowboy (cowperson?) films because some of them depict wanton slaughter of "bad" native Americans (who would no doubt be referred to as "Red Indians" which in itself is an offensive term nowadays)?

Where do you stop?

I think there might well be a few. :rolleyes:

That apart, aye, PC gone mad, and not for the first time. 

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

Where do you stop?

The history department. Shades of 1984

The more people see of the practices of the past, the better. They'll have removed so much of the evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, to the extent that the same mistakes could be made again. It just doesn't make sense.. As far as comedy involving mixed race shows, as someone else said, it was usually the middle classed white person who was made the fool. While I'm not advocating the remaking of shows that have had their time, Love thy neighbour was the perfect example of the black person being depicted as having the upper hand over his white counter part. Rising damp also. Any comedy tends to ridicule at least one of the participants irrespective of creed or colour. 

7 hours ago, southsidebud said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

It been a round a long time and if you take it out of CONTEXT then it would be racist. I don’t imagine we will ever see Tom and Jerry back on our screens very soon either. Maybe we should ban Zulu and ..... oh forget it, it’s not worth bothering about , in fact, frankly my dear I don’t give a damn 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

Just now, ALBIONSAINT said:

It been a round a long time and if you take it out of CONTEXT then it would be racist. I don’t imagine we will ever see Tom and Jerry back on our screens very soon either. Maybe we should ban Zulu and ..... oh forget it, it’s not worth bothering about 

Totally agree

People can stretch most things to offend themselves, especially if they are willing to look for it.

Editing and censoring historical tv and films is a form of cultural vandalism - context is everything

I remember being in Germany in the late 60's and visiting Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.  It was a strange and eerie place but the most striking thing for me was the number of Germans almost dragging their children through the permanent exhibition showing a very graphic depiction of the horrors which were carried out by Germany, and, translated by my relatives who attached to of the army of occupation, were telling them "we did this and it must never happen again".  That was the first permanent exhibition and memorial to the atrocities and it has been extended over the years and similar memorials can now be found all over Germany and they continue to honour the victims but also educate the German people.

Imagine if nothing had been done to keep this history alive.  You can't ignore history, you can't erase it nor can you deny it.  But you must learn from it. I'm all in favour of Prof. Palmer's suggestions  that plaques be placed on or adjacent to statues and street names explaining the background and history behind them.

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

Thank goodness I watched IT Crowd and Father Ted recently - I'm waiting for outraged IT professionals and priests to get them removed from streaming services.

They are both very funny. Each in their own way sending up the two professions. 

There was a cracker on The Chase earlier...................

When the teams are introduced you can usually spot the team idiot, quite often students, unsurprisingly.

Questions was "Whats Scottish city do Dundonians come from"

The student..................."eh, erm, ...............Cardiff?" :lol:

The futures bright. 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:45 AM, southsidebud said:

We have been taking the wee man through some quality comedy - Frasier, IT Crowd and just last night finished Father Ted - I had forgotten how good the latter was. All went down well. Also working through Cheers and The Last Kingdom (just me and the wife there).

One thing about lockdown is it is giving a chance to get through the never-ending streaming 'List' 

Loved Frasier

Fawlty Towers episode "The Germans" has been removed from UKTV due to 'racism'.

It would appear that people do not understand irony and the fact that the laughs are intended to come from Basil Fawlty's racism - laughing at him not with him.

I think this PC reaction across the media world is detracting from, and clouding the real issues - e.g. real evil racism like the George Floyd murder that reignited this whole discussion.

Edited by southsidebud