Adam Campbell - Keep The High Balls Low

Why on earth do we insist on punting high balls up to Campbell ? Surely we should be using the wee mans ability to hold the ball up , by playing the ball into his feet. This will give Thommo the chance to play closer to him and support him and vice versa . Let Adam bring McGowan and Newton into the game get the ball on the deck , remember when we used to pass the ball ? Let's get back to playing football or the wee man will be wondering what the hell he has come to.

Edited by safl166

The balls being played forward on Saturday confused me.

I thought we were trying to perfect a passing game and now we have a fast skilful ball player we are sending long balls.

We haven't been playing a beautiful passing game for the last season and a half when Danny decided to ditch that style in favour of a more direct route.

Quite ironic really as that season we had our highest league finish in god knows how many years. Also some of our fans became impatient with it. Puzzling!!!!

Bring it back Danny the knowledgable fans loved it and some of the best football I had seen us play

Having watched him for 3 games, my instinct is that he's not going to cut it playing in his current position yet.

Hopefully when either Teale or McLean comes back we can see Gowser put back into where Campbell is playing and see Adam get moved out wide. He might make it there as he has the pace, I just don't think he has the physicality to play through the middle in this league.

Having watched him for 3 games, my instinct is that he's not going to cut it playing in his current position yet.

Hopefully when either Teale or McLean comes back we can see Gowser put back into where Campbell is playing and see Adam get moved out wide. He might make it there as he has the pace, I just don't think he has the physicality to play through the middle in this league.

Having watched him in 2 games, one on the telly tongue.png , I also think he would be better out wide.

Especially against the Celtic defenders he never got a sniff.

Physicality. Now there's a word. Where the hell did it come from? Did we not have enough words to fit the bill without coming up with this one? Probably an Americanism. Did I make that up? Not blaming you, Lex. For physicality that is.

I'd agree with this.

When he featured for NUFC pre-season (albeit briefly), he was played wide right and his blistering pace caused major problems for our defence. On one occasion he managed to get behind our defence and make a cut-back in the time it took me to blink. We need to capitalise on his attributes, or it could be a(nother) wasted signing.

Exactly my thoughts.

We haven't been playing a beautiful passing game for the last season and a half when Danny decided to ditch that style in favour of a more direct route.

Quite ironic really as that season we had our highest league finish in god knows how many years. Also some of our fans became impatient with it. Puzzling!!!!

Bring it back Danny the knowledgable fans loved it and some of the best football I had seen us play

…..and for the season before that people on here were screaming like babies for us to stop the passing game.

Well, this is the result.

…..and for the season before that people on here were screaming like babies for us to stop the passing game.

We're not playing the long ball game in the way those that advocate it would recognize. The idea is to get the ball up quickly to a target man or into space, some balls you win, some you lose but most will be loose and there for the midfield to challenge for - we don't do either. If we're playing the long ball game it news to me, I see us playing the passing game poorly, getting into trouble and hoofing it aimlessly as a last resort, however it wouldn't surprise me if you were correct and Lennon didn't understand the basic principles of the game he was trying to play.

Moving off topic, have we been playing differently from October/November when results were going our way or is just that with players missing injured & suspended we can't play that way effectively? Anyway as I've said before tactics are a cat & mouse game these days and it's one I don't think Lennon plays effectively.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Do you remember the old plaintive cry of 'Get the f***in' ba' up the f**kin' park!' It hasn't gone away. At times Saints played the passing game well but it tended to be only in short phases. The opposition sussed that a long ball would rarely be played and being honest they knew that some of our players weren't the best at a passing game. We gave the ball away too easily too often. I like to see a passing game but when you leak goals, you've got a problem Houston. Maybe it needs more practice. Maybe it needs sharper players.

• 2 weeks later...

So we have a very highly rated English under twenty one international player that Daniel Lennon has been quoted in the press as saying that our club have been after for some time.

I have heard him referred to as a "player" and a "speed merchant".

But yet Daniel Lennon decided to play young Adam at right midfield today. I am annoyed at this.

If Alan Pardew or anyone at Newcastle saw that game today they would be well within reason at taking him straight back as our Mr Lennon will waste that young lad.

So we have a very highly rated English under twenty one international player that Daniel Lennon has been quoted in the press as saying that our club have been after for some time.

I have heard him referred to as a "player" and a "speed merchant".

But yet Daniel Lennon decided to play young Adam at right midfield today. I am annoyed at this.

If Alan Pardew or anyone at Newcastle saw that game today they would be well within reason at taking him straight back as our Mr Lennon will waste that young lad.

Strange as Norrie said he was playing out wide today, a position where he had some success last week? blink.png

Strange as Norrie said he was playing out wide today, a position where he had some success last week? blink.png

He spent his entire time tracking back and hardly got into the Plastic Whistle half. Played hopelessly out of position and quite difficult to watch as we desperately needed some pace up front. Why does our manager insist on playing players out of position?

If he wants a right midfielder then bloody sign one!

He spent his entire time tracking back and hardly got into the Plastic Whistle half.  Played hopelessly out of position and quite difficult to watch as we desperately needed some pace up front.  Why does our manager insist on playing players out of position?

If he wants a right midfielder then bloody sign one!

Indeed, all the talk pre-signing was about other options up front yaddy yaddy! The real issue is that Danny doesn't know how to use a lot of the players.