Australian Open Tennis 2014

faraway saint

I don't know when Davy retired. I still bumped into him years after I had left school because we were both BB officers. He lived in Elderslie in one of the houses on the right hand side of Main Road just before the football pitch beside the church.

Sad news to report. Yes my dad did know Davy Orr, he says that as well as the house in Elderslie he also had a holiday house in Millport and used to go there frequently. My dad worked at Camphill from around 1970 until 1976 / 1977, and said that Davy retired around 1974. He had only retired about six months when he had an operation (prostate related my dad thinks from memory, though said he could be wrong given that it was 40 years so), and died from complications soon after. He said that Davy was a really nice guy, used to do lots of extra curricular stuff (Gilbert and Sullivan etc. with Arthur Brown, the Principle).

Sad news to report. Yes my dad did know Davy Orr, he says that as well as the house in Elderslie he also had a holiday house in Millport and used to go there frequently. My dad worked at Camphill from around 1970 until 1976 / 1977, and said that Davy retired around 1974. He had only retired about six months when he had an operation (prostate related my dad thinks from memory, though said he could be wrong given that it was 40 years so), and died from complications soon after. He said that Davy was a really nice guy, used to do lots of extra curricular stuff (Gilbert and Sullivan etc. with Arthur Brown, the Principle).

That is sad to hear. I don't recall having heard that he had died so soon after retiring. He was a lovely guy. I remember getting two of the belt from him once or twice (I'm sure I was Innocent!) but it didn't put me off him.

Quite a few of our old teachers from Camphill went to Love Street for every home game. I'm sure your Dad would have come across them. Jimmy Leitch (maths) became I think VP of the new Camphill. Duncan Mckinnon (Physics) and Ken Jackson (chemistry) may still have been in Camphill in the 70's, Alastair Macpherson (maths) might have moved on by then. He ended up as Principal of Renfrew High. He is still very involved with the Scottish Schools FA although he has been retired for years. I keep in touch with him.

Bluto mentioned Wee Tam McMillan the other day. i think he taught English but I'm fairly sure he worked almost his whole career in Camphill. A very accomplished trumpet player. He died about two years ago.

My dad has always come to the odd game with me, but he actually has a season ticket these days (since he can get the over 65's one really cheap!!), sits with me in the West stand. I'll ask him later today when I see him about the other teachers you mentioned, fairly sure he'll know at least Tam McMillan, as my dad plays the Cornet, and still goes back to play with the Port Glasgow High School band for their Christmas concerts every year even though he retired nearly 15 years ago now. Funnily enough, my dad told me that he used to help out with the Camphill football team when he worked there, so if Alastair Macpherson was still there then, he'd no doubt know him too.

watched Ronnie O'Sullivan play possibly the best session of snooker I've seen in many a year last night.

Astounding display, certainly a player who can be discussed in the same company as Hendry & Davis.

GET THIS OFF TOPIC PISH SHIFTED TAE F*CK !!!!

Murray v Federer in the quarters, now the REAL tennis starts. thumbup2.gif

Shit, I'm back at work. thumbdown.gif

There aren't many workplaces in the UK where a wet slippery patch can't be found or created.

Get creative.

We could invite posters to post their creative methods for obtaining a sicky for a big sporting event.