Lee Mair Signs For Partick Thistle

div

It could indeed well have been.

I'm just getting tired of people slating the manager for getting rid of Mair when he is no better than a journeyman defender who is prone to regular lapses in concentration that usually cost goals... and all because he is a likeable guy with a trendy pally nicknamezo who is making friends and a living from keep fit classes and diet products!

How many goals did we ship during his last three games for us? Double figures? Yet he is apparantly one of the bedt defenders and a club legend!

Sorry... def not having a go at you bud... just ranting!!!

And let's not forget, we conceded 10 goals in Lee Mairs last 3 starts for St Mirren.

It really is a bit unfair to blame him for the loss of these 10 goals. Certainly IIRC all the goals in the Motherwell game came from midfield errors.

It is also true to say Mair's reintroduction coinciding with our best spell of the season. Not saying that was down to him but fair to say he contributed.

Edited by Kenny fae Partick'

It could indeed well have been.

I'm just getting tired of people slating the manager for getting rid of Mair when he is no better than a journeyman defender who is prone to regular lapses in concentration that usually cost goals... and all because he is a likeable guy with a trendy pally nicknamezo who is making friends and a living from keep fit classes and diet products!

How many goals did we ship during his last three games for us? Double figures? Yet he is apparantly one of the bedt defenders and a club legend!

Sorry... def not having a go at you bud... just ranting!!!

I dont recall anyone saying he's a club legend. Certainly all I have been saying he is a much better option then Marc McAusland. I dont doubt Marc tries his best, but he just does not have the ability to play at this level. Can anyone explain why he is a guaranteed furst choice pick for the team. Well maybe now there is no othe option.

FWIW my Thistle supporting freinds have been raving about Mair. Indeed I think he's picked up at least one MOM.

I'm just a 70's guy and I feel Abba say it better than I ever could...........

..........gosh that's a might impressive scowl Agnetha's got there, still would though.......................

I'm sure they can say it better than you ever could, but did I really hear her sing...

"....thanks for all your generous loving,

thanks for all the farts"? :o

If so, then - No, they can't say it better than you.

It seems to me that many people are less concerned about losing Mair per se, than the fact that we've released him without having anyone by way of a replacement lined up. I'm certainly in that camp. It strikes me as a serious misjudgement on someone's part.

Are you seriously saying that to state "And let's not forget, we conceded 10 goals in Lee Mairs last 3 starts for St Mirren." is not apportioning blame?

Aye OK I apologise you were actually heaping him with praise.

I didn't blame Lee Mair directly for us conceding 10 goals in 3 games. Just stating the fact that he was playing centre half in these games and it's easy to come up with stats that don't paint the full picture.

Edited by davidg

I'm trying to recall the last particularly solid, reliable centre half we had at the club. We haven't been blessed with stand-outs in this area in recent years.

Kirk Broadfoot, Kevin McGowne & John Potter were an exceptional centre back trio in the First Division in 05/06. McGowne, Broadfoot & Andy Millen were extremely reliable the season before as well.

Broadfoot then had an excellent season in the SPL before joining Rangers.

Scott Cuthbert was excellent as well.

Are we talking centre halves here or central defenders? Norrie McWhirter was a great central defender surely, albeit in the First Division mainly? Barry McLaughlin did well in the First Division as well?

Neil Cooper?

Maybe we would have conceded more than the 10 goals in 3 games without Lee Mair?

I'm not happy that we let him go to a rival. Indeed, I'd have him in the first team ahead of McAusland or McGregor.

However, that doesn't mean that we don't have cover. Naismith is a centre half playing at right back and Jim Goodwin has experience in central defence.

The great Aberdeen side of the early 80s didn't have a deputy for McLeish or Miller. They just moved Doug Rougvie or Neale Cooper into central defence. Similarly, the great Dundee United side used Richard Gough as a deputy for Hegarty & Narey.

If Lennon didn't fancy Lee Mair and he was on a lot of money then it was the right decision to let him go.

Just not to a main rival...

Edited by Isabella Duke

Kirk Broadfoot, Kevin McGowne & John Potter were an exceptional centre back trio in the First Division in 05/06. McGowne, Broadfoot & Andy Millen were extremely reliable the season before as well.

Broadfoot then had an excellent season in the SPL before joining Rangers.

Scott Cuthbert was excellent as well.

Are we talking centre halves here or central defenders? Norrie McWhirter was a great central defender surely, albeit in the First Division mainly? Barry McLaughlin did well in the First Division as well?

Neil Cooper?

Without seeking to detract from some of the players you mention, I wonder how well most of them would have fared against top league opposition (something you've already alluded to in fairness).

Cuthbert was still quite raw when with us, though it was clear he was a great prospect, and I suspect he'd easily slot into any team outwith Celtic in the SPFL. Aside from him, however, I'm not sure that those you mention would have been a huge step-up from what we currently have in the likes of McGregor and McAusland. Norrie and big Kirk are perhaps the exceptions.

As I mentioned earlier, Brian Martin was the last stand-out central defender I can remember watching play for us, but perhaps I'm being a bit unfair.