Lee Mair Signs For Partick Thistle

div

What a surprise that Lee Mair is actually pretty shite.

If only we'd known that when we punted him.

Still, useful if you're wanting to get on the old Herbalife.

PS I do still wish we'd signed a centre half better than him or anyone else in the team but oh well.

Great performance again, his reading of the game is what we were missing and our kids are learning from him with every game. He's quickly become a fans favourite.

Lee Mair has played for Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Saints and now Thistle, all Premier League clubs, so he obviously has something going for him. And, as you indicate, he's a good mentor for the younger players; John McGinn has said as much.

However, you have to wonder why he keeps getting punted on and I reckon it's less to do with ability than perhaps being a bit vocal off the field.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Irrespective of what happens in the run in, allowing Mair to move to Thistle was a mistake

As Mair isn't exactly Franz Beckenbaur I'm not convinced, and Thistles goals against column could suggest he's not exactly shoring them up, they have conceded 57 goals.

Obviously not all down to him but not a great loss to us BUT I do believe us NOT signing a strong replacement has not helped our cause.

Mair was not very good, our central defence is not very good. Why didn't we sign a CB? Is it down to Danny or the BOD? It been obvious for the last 2 seasons that the central defence needed strengthening and I hope it doesn't relegate us. If we do stay up this is the most important close season since we came back up. Thommo isn't getting any younger so we really needed to strengthen in that area too, without his goals we'd have been fighting with Hearts to avoid automatic relegation.

Mair was not very good, our central defence is not very good. Why didn't we sign a CB? Is it down to Danny or the BOD? It been obvious for the last 2 seasons that the central defence needed strengthening and I hope it doesn't relegate us. If we do stay up this is the most important close season since we came back up. Thommo isn't getting any younger so we really needed to strengthen in that area too, without his goals we'd have been fighting with Hearts to avoid automatic relegation.

Try about the last 8 seasons!

It isn't just a position that our current manager failed to plug.

This is the one area of our team, that we've failed to sign a "class" player for.

Instead we've lurched from one defensive crisis to another with pretty mediocre CH's, whilst it was obvious to most of us what was needed.

Surely with money we've spunked on duds like Bahookie, Djemba Djemba, Harkins, Grainger, (f**k me where do I stop?), we could have sourced an experienced "stopper" from somewhere.

Try about the last 8 seasons!

It isn't just a position that our current manager failed to plug.

This is the one area of our team, that we've failed to sign a "class" player for.

Instead we've lurched from one defensive crisis to another with pretty mediocre CH's, whilst it was obvious to most of us what was needed.

Surely with money we've spunked on duds like Bahookie, Djemba Djemba, Harkins, Grainger, (f**k me where do I stop?), we could have sourced an experienced "stopper" from somewhere.

And there we have a candidate for the next Saints manager. wink.png

And there we have a candidate for the next Saints manager. wink.png

If spotting the glaringly obvious lack of a quality CH is all that it takes to be a successful manager, then I'm sure I'll have plenty of competition for the job.

FFS, even Lennon has started castigating the defence in public for throwing away goals.

• 1 month later...

Mair freed by Thistle and their fans not bothered or surprised that he has gone. As I said at the time simply not good enough at Prem level. Still nedd 2 new central defenders mind but they have to be of a better standard than Mair (and Cheesy / McGregor for that matter). Lets hope he pitches up at Dundee next leaving them as good as a man down at the back from the outset.

Mair freed by Thistle and their fans not bothered or surprised that he has gone. As I said at the time simply not good enough at Prem level. Still nedd 2 new central defenders mind but they have to be of a better standard than Mair (and Cheesy / McGregor for that matter). Lets hope he pitches up at Dundee next leaving them as good as a man down at the back from the outset.

If some BAWA posters had got their way we'd be saddled with him again next year due to giving him enough first team appearances to extend his contract!

If some BAWA posters had got their way we'd be saddled with him again next year due to giving him enough first team appearances to extend his contract!

But we let him sign for Thistle. He was part of the reason for their revival and we brought in Djemba Djemba to sit on the bench instead of Mair. A Danny master stroke.

Mair freed by Thistle and their fans not bothered or surprised that he has gone. As I said at the time simply not good enough at Prem level. Still nedd 2 new central defenders mind but they have to be of a better standard than Mair (and Cheesy / McGregor for that matter). Lets hope he pitches up at Dundee next leaving them as good as a man down at the back from the outset.[/quote

Are the St Johnstone or ICT central defenders any better or worse than Cheesy or Mcgregor? Unless we bring in Baresi or Maldini quality players they will still get pelters. We will get what we pay for if indeed we bring in any central defenders

Mair freed by Thistle and their fans not bothered or surprised that he has gone. As I said at the time simply not good enough at Prem level. Still nedd 2 new central defenders mind but they have to be of a better standard than Mair (and Cheesy / McGregor for that matter). Lets hope he pitches up at Dundee next leaving them as good as a man down at the back from the outset.[/quote

Are the St Johnstone or ICT central defenders any better or worse than Cheesy or Mcgregor? Unless we bring in Baresi or Maldini quality players they will still get pelters. We will get what we pay for if indeed we bring in any central defenders

The goals against column would suggest Yes. Only marginally mind you , but yes.

Part of that was down to our lads losing concentration in the last ten minutes of a match and chucking it away. We really do need a rock solid central defender but we've known that for the last few years. Let's hope tommy has someone up his sleeve.

It's interesting. Most people have spent all season moaning about our defence and our average centre halves, the league table suggests this is actually one of the strongest areas of the team. We conceded less goals this season than second placed Motherwell aswell as 4 teams out the bottom 6.

According to the goals against column we had the 7th best defensive record in the league. Meanwhile, according to the goals for column we had the 11th best attack in the league.

Thank goodness for our defence I say, if it wasn't for them we'd have been in even more big trouble this year.