Lee Mair Signs For Partick Thistle

div

There is no point in blindly "hoofing the ball" up the park. It just allows better teams to take control of the ball and puts pressure on the team without it.

Playing the long ball requires midfielders with pace AND quick thinking and only works if the opposition don't expect it.

Similarly. Passing tthe ball slowly out of defence allows the opposition to regroup and steals the space. Any team needs to mix things up and, when passing through needs quick incisive passing and moving from the players.

Anyone who says there is a simple solution is, IMHO, simplistic in their outlook.

Play the ball out quickly and make sure there is space between the player with and the player receiving the football. Short passes are a liability in defnsive situations. IF there is an opportunity to play the long ball over the top to a quick, (not a Thommo), forward then, by all means, do so.

Edited by stlucifer

On the contrary, watching the game getting played in attacking thirds is far more thrilling to watch than a teams attempting to keep possession in the middle of the park!

How do you control possession (and thus control a match) when the first thing you do is randomly punt it up the park. At best it gives you a 50/50 chance of winning the second ball so overall you are looking at having 40% possession in a game which in the majority of matches means you don't win.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

How do you control possession (and thus control a match) when the first thing you do is randomly punt it up the park. At best it gives you a 50/50 chance of winning the second ball so overall you are looking at having 40% possession in a game which in the majority of matches means you don't win.

If your team is made up more of people who can tackle and players who can sprint you increase your chances of controlling the game substantially. If you look at the successful Barcelona team of a few years ago the reason their possession stats were so high wasn't the way the passed the ball around, it was how well and how quickly they were able to get the ball back when they lost it.

I'm not a fan of the long ball game, but it's hard to argue that it's not effective. You can see it on any juvenille football pitch and our team has certainly been a victim of it a few times. We teach our players to keep the ball on the deck and to pass it around, and I firmly believe we've done the right thing, but the two matches we've lost this season were because the opposition defended deep and caught us out with long balls over the top.

If your team is made up more of people who can tackle and players who can sprint you increase your chances of controlling the game substantially. If you look at the successful Barcelona team of a few years ago the reason their possession stats were so high wasn't the way the passed the ball around, it was how well and how quickly they were able to get the ball back when they lost it.

I'm not a fan of the long ball game, but it's hard to argue that it's not effective. You can see it on any juvenille football pitch and our team has certainly been a victim of it a few times. We teach our players to keep the ball on the deck and to pass it around, and I firmly believe we've done the right thing, but the two matches we've lost this season were because the opposition defended deep and caught us out with long balls over the top.

So you only lost 2 games?

Debate over. thumbup2.gif

You control a match by scoring more goals than the opposition!

Sorry, but its a fact that there IS a magic solution.

Direct football.

Deary me.

Fortunately this sort of stuff has had its day and will never return.

You must seriously hate watching St Mirren.

You're going to REALLY hate next season.

For some reason that last sentence makes me happy.

Have I said that already someonwhere else?

• 4 years later...
15 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Is anyone on the forum still using Herbalife or did anyone use it and maintain their weight loss?

A friend is now using and promoting it!

Right thread btw... "Mairzo" is part of the chain!

There's only one way to lose weight sustainably IMO and that is to eat less and eat healthier stuff. You don't need pills, powders, fancy diets or to eat miserable low calorie crap.

Just cut portion sizes of normal foods, stop eating junk and processed food and walk about 30 minutes a day.

If there is some underlying problem that will need to be dealt with first though. Comfort eating for example, can't be cured by any diet.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

There's only one way to lose weight sustainably IMO and that is to eat less and eat healthier stuff. You don't need pills, powders, fancy diets or to eat miserable low calorie crap.

Just cut portion sizes of normal foods, stop eating junk and processed food and walk about 30 minutes a day.

If there is some underlying problem that will need to be dealt with first though. Comfort eating for example, can't be cured by any diet.

Totally agree

Of course there can be exceptions due to medical conditions but in the main, this is the biggest Scam of all time. Eat Calories, Burn Calories.................. to lose weight burn more to be on weight eat more. Have a balanced diet....................

Maybe I could write a book on it........................ cause that's basically it ?? 

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Is anyone on the forum still using Herbalife or did anyone use it and maintain their weight loss?

A friend is now using and promoting it!

Right thread btw... "Mairzo" is part of the chain!

Have never used it EK. Have lost over 3 stones and maintained the lower weight over the past few years.  As a guide, I follow the 5:2 plan but simply put..I eat less than I did before every day and twice a week eat less still.  I am now the weight I was when I was 18 ... admittedly less muscle mass though.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Herbal Life is a magic beans pyramid scheme. Avoid.

Eating less and exercising more is the best way to lose weight. One if the main reasons I enjoy running so much is it means I don't feel as guilty about all the crap I eat.

And this is where dyslexia ISN'T beneficial! :lol:

Edited by stlucifer

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Herbal Life is a magic beans pyramid scheme. Avoid.

Eating less and exercising more is the best way to lose weight. One if the main reasons I enjoy running so much is it means I don't feel as guilty about all the crap I eat.

I was thinking of running for Match Secretary at Golf club. Will that mean i can eat more crap ?

Edited by DougJamie

I’ve lost two stone over the last two years. The secret? Looking in the mirror one day, squeezing into too-tight trousers, and thinking ‘right - line in the sand, get this sorted’. Never set any targets, two stone over two years is just the way it worked out. Not crazy dieting for quick weight loss that you could put back on, but a long-term view, take it slow and easy. No Herbal Life. Simply exercised some much needed willpower and cut out a lot of shite (crisps, choccies, burgers, too many beers etc), and exercised regularly. It genuinely ain’t rocket science.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’ve lost two stone over the last two years. The secret? Looking in the mirror one day, squeezing into too-tight trousers, and thinking ‘right - line in the sand, get this sorted’. Never set any targets, two stone over two years is just the way it worked out. Not crazy dieting for quick weight loss that you could put back on, but a long-term view, take it slow and easy. No Herbal Life. Simply exercised some much needed willpower and cut out a lot of shite (crisps, choccies, burgers, too many beers etc), and exercised regularly. It genuinely ain’t rocket science.

Good for  u Poz thats the right way. Must admit felt like i lost at least a stone watching Livi game

9 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Totally agree

Of course there can be exceptions due to medical conditions but in the main, this is the biggest Scam of all time. Eat Calories, Burn Calories.................. to lose weight burn more to be on weight eat more. Have a balanced diet....................

Maybe I could write a book on it........................ cause that's basically it ?? 

Oh it's a scam alright and it preys on the fact that the difficulty for the vast majority of people is the mental battle.

I decided one day that I was embarassed about my size, I wasn't ready for diabetes and had no intention of getting any obesity related illnesses. No way am I spending the rest of my life in pain trying to tie my laces. f**k. That.

This is how I lost 2 stone in about a couple of months.

1) Cut out virtually all snacks between meals. To help with pangs I used fishsticks, packets of raisins and sheer willpower (difficult as f**k).

2) Drank tons of diluted orange juice to keep my stomach feeling full enough.

3) A really good bowl of cereal for breakfast with toast as well. Fruit and Fibre or something like that. Sometimes a small bowl of pasta. Anything long burning to keep me to lunch time.

4) At lunch I take a couple of slices of toast and jam or oatcakes and chicken spread or something like that. Lunch should be very light indeed.

5) Exactly the same types of dinner as I would normally have but much smaller portions. Instead of 2 chicken breasts have 1. Pile on the veg. Top tip here - use the smallest plate you can get away with: it makes you feel like you've eaten a full meal.

6) A frozen fruit smoothie at night. Add frozen fruit and water to the jug. An excellent way to finish off the night.

7) Bed by 10.30 to 11 to prevent late night snacking.

8) I stick some headphones on, listen to radio whatever and go for a 30 minute walk. Build up slowly to this and increase the pace and the duration. Honestly this is about all you really need.

That's it.

It's not about dieting or restricting the types of thing you eat. It's about portion size. It's about creating a healthier lifestyle. It's about ensuring you don't just open up your fuel tank and pour any old shite in. If I did that with my car it would never be out of the garage. Our bodies are exactly the same.

It's always better if you have friends who are going through this with you to help. Of course I have no friends at all so life is a bitch but not to worry :lol:

Good luck to anyone doing this. Your waistline and your wallet will thank you.

As I say, this allowed me to lose about 2 stone and I virtually halved my foodbill overnight.

And I no longer have tits.

Edited by oaksoft