Lee Mair Signs For Partick Thistle

div

I agree.

Just think, last season, if DL had been any use at all, Saints might have had a chance of winning something....

What a terrible year this has been...

Short(ish) memory ?happy.png

Same applied to Alec Smith , and if we hadn't bagged him and replaced him with senior players in '88 we would have been relegated that season.

So,apparently Lee Mair has had two good games for Partick.

I remember him having two good games for us.................................

Like I've said elsewhere no-one's suggesting he's suddenly going to become a better player at Thistle but he's gone straight into their first team so he's obviously better than what they already had.

Compare that with Wylde who we signed the day after - 1 start & 2 sub appearances.

Like I've said elsewhere no-one's suggesting he's suddenly going to become a better player at Thistle but he's gone straight into their first team so he's obviously better than what they already had.

Compare that with Wylde who we signed the day after - 1 start & 2 sub appearances.

I don't really have any problem with your argument BTB.

However, I wish people would remember that Lee Mair proved to be pretty shit for us, other than the odd short period where he looked like a competent defender.

FWIW I would happily have accepted McAusland leaving instead of Mair.

I still think McGregor, for all his failings, just has wee bit more about him, than the other two. In my opinion.

I also think it's barking, not to have another CH signed by now.

Edited by FTOF

I don't really have any problem with your argument BTB.

However, I wish people would remember that Lee Mair proved to be pretty shit for us, other than the odd short period where he looked like a competent defender.

FWIW I would happily have accepted McAusland leaving instead of Mair.

I still think McGregor, for all his failings, just has wee bit more about him, than the other two. In my opinion.

I also think it's barking, not to have another CH signed by now.

I'd agree with all of that.

It's fair enough to say that Lee Mair was mostly pish for us, but still be annoyed we've not replaced him.

ETA: Similar to the comments regarding Sam Parkin. It's annoying we don't have a big and strong back up striker & that is something we should have addressed (along with a number of other players/positions), but I think we could do better than Parkin as (despite coming across as a nice guy) he's a rubbish footballer.

Edited by JM1

So that's Mair, Harkins and Barron gone. With no replacement looking immenent, the clear out continues. I wonder how many have left during the summer and January window verses players in? Does anyone have the stats?

Out of the 11 other teams in the SPL, 8 have either signed the same number of players as us in January (3) or have signed less players than us. When it comes to releasing players it would appear that we also don't stick out like a sore thumb: Aberdeen released or loaned out 10 players in January, Celtic - 8, Killie - 9, Dundee United - 5, Partick 5, St Johnstone 5 and Ross County have released the same number as us (4). It would appear that most SPL clubs tend to trim the size of their squad come January rather than add to it. The 3 teams who have increased their squad size in January are St Johnstone, Partick (1 extra player each) and Ross County (4 extra players). It also seems as if plenty of other clubs sign players who are released by mutual consent on a fairly regular basis.

Out of the 11 other teams in the SPL, 8 have either signed the same number of players as us in January (3) or have signed less players than us. When it comes to releasing players it would appear that we also don't stick out like a sore thumb: Aberdeen released or loaned out 10 players in January, Celtic - 8, Killie - 9, Dundee United - 5, Partick 5, St Johnstone 5 and Ross County have released the same number as us (4). It would appear that most SPL clubs tend to trim the size of their squad come January rather than add to it. The 3 teams who have increased their squad size in January are St Johnstone, Partick (1 extra player each) and Ross County (4 extra players). It also seems as if plenty of other clubs sign players who are released by mutual consent on a fairly regular basis.

How big were these teams squads before they released these players and how big are their squads now? Surely these figures are slightly irrelevant without also comparing those figures? Teams with a massive squad releasing 8 and signing 3 is a bit different from a team with a threadbare squad doing the same surely?

Just watched the highlights of Thistle v Dundee Utd.

The opening goal for the Arabs was typical Mair... went in for a challenge and kindof forgot to actually challenge! SO powderpuff he should be credited with an assist!

Solid otherwise... but one unforgivable error meant Thistle ended up with one point rather than three.

Thank you agent Mair. Mission accomplished! Keep up the good work and just keep performing as you have done for a number of years.

Just watched the highlights of Thistle v Dundee Utd.

The opening goal for the Arabs was typical Mair... went in for a challenge and kindof forgot to actually challenge! SO powderpuff he should be credited with an assist!

Solid otherwise... but one unforgivable error meant Thistle ended up with one point rather than three.

Thank you agent Mair. Mission accomplished! Keep up the good work and just keep performing as you have done for a number of years.

Irrelevant as he is a better option than they previously had, maybe without Mair they have lost the game, anyway it's not as if our defence are churning out faultless displays since he left.

Lee Mair remains the player that he was a month ago and the deal remains a bad bit of business.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Irrelevant as he is a better option than they previously had, maybe without Mair they have lost the game, anyway it's not as if our defence are churning out faultless displays since he left.

Lee Mair remains the player that he was a month ago and the deal remains a bad bit of business.

Unless this new potential signing Danny talks of is a no nonsense centre half that helps us avoid the playoffs at the expense of Partick

Edited by stevenston saint

Unless this new potential signing Danny talks of is a no nonsense centre half that helps us avoid the playoffs at the expense of Partick

Finishing above Thistle whose are going through the same "down to earth" process faced by many newly promoted teams after a good start to the season should in no way be considered a triumph.

Presumably Lennon had someone in mind to replace Mair and it didn't worked out, and in your words we now seem to be in the position of hoping that we can sign an unattached player with enough va-va-voom to help us avoid the play-off spot. Getting us into this situation is rank bad management and it'll be more down to luck than judgement if we get the first pick CH we need - anything less and I might just copy Drew's avatar.

Finishing above Thistle whose are going through the same "down to earth" process faced by many newly promoted teams after a good start to the season should in no way be considered a triumph.

Presumably Lennon had someone in mind to replace Mair and it didn't worked out, and in your words we now seem to be in the position of hoping that we can sign an unattached player with enough va-va-voom to help us avoid the play-off spot. Getting us into this situation is rank bad management and it'll be more down to luck than judgement if we get the first pick CH we need - anything less and I might just copy Drew's avatar.

I seem to have missed the bit where I said it would be a triumph ? ?

I'm certainly not a Lennon fan but my point was regarding Lee Mair's departure being a bit of bad business. Goodwin playing at centre half is a better option than Mair and that scenario certainly isn't the answer. Getting one of the higher earners at the club off the wage bill certainly is a good bit of business especially as I said if we can avoid the play offs.

Edited by stevenston saint

I seem to have missed the bit where I said it would be a triumph ? ?

I'm certainly not a Lennon fan but my point was regarding Lee Mair's departure being a bit of bad business. Goodwin playing at centre half is a better option than Mair and that scenario certainly isn't the answer. Getting one of the higher earners at the club off the wage bill certainly is a good bit of business especially as I said if we can avoid the play offs.

So how much of an achievement would you rate avoiding the play offs?

Playing Goodwin at CH was part of the reason we started the season so badly - Mair's return to the team and Goodwin returning to midfield was what sparked our revival. Goodwin is not, and never was, a better option at CH than a fit Mair.

Getting Mair off the wage bill is only half of the matter, it's only a good move if we manage to replace him with someone better.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Playing Goodwin at CH was part of the reason we started the season so badly - Mair's return to the team and Goodwin returning to midfield was what sparked our revival.

Getting Mair off the wage bill is only half of the matter, it's only a good move if we manage to replace him with someone better.

IMHO Mair coming back into the team was just a coincidence.

The 2 important factors were getting rid of Cornell from in goals and Goodwin moving out of defence and into midfield.

Any combination of the 3 CH's would have had the same outcome IMHO.

IMHO Mair coming back into the team was just a coincidence.

The 2 important factors were getting rid of Cornell from in goals and Goodwin moving out of defence and into midfield.

Any combination of the 3 CH's would have had the same outcome IMHO.

Mibbes aye.................

Having said that at least Mair had kept himself fit enough to slot straight into the team, who knows if this new mystery player will hit the ground running?

Edited by Bud the Baker

And let's not forget, we conceded 10 goals in Lee Mairs last 3 starts for St Mirren.

Indeed.

Lee Mair is not very good.

The decision to get rid of him was a good one. The decision to not bring in a replacement straight away was/is the problem.

Edited by JM1

Playing Goodwin at CH was part of the reason we started the season so badly - Mair's return to the team and Goodwin returning to midfield was what sparked our revival. Goodwin is not, and never was, a better option at CH than a fit Mair.

At the start of the season it certainly wouldn't but at the moment as we are in complete free fall it is a better achievement than being in the play off??

Lee Mair was certainly not the answer no matter how much you try and gloss it up. I've already said Goodwin is not the answer there either !

Yes, I certainly agree with your last point so lets see if Lennon does bring in someone better before having a go at his poor management on this matter

I have no gripes with the decision to move Mair on - it's standard practice with fringe players but I still maintain my two criticisms of the deal.

No matter the prevailing opinion on Mair's ability he's in Thistle's first team so he an improvement compared to what else is available to them - he improves their first team at our expense and his absence (or that of a replacement) weakens our squad.

We failed to replace him during the transfer window and are now left with the free agents, which has got to be considered more of a lottery than most transfers. I hope we get lucky but I maintain (hopefully for the last time) my opinion that his decision on this issue along with many others since last May have been poor.

Mair's return to the team and Goodwin returning to midfield was what sparked our revival.

No it wasn't.

It was the combination of McGregor returning plus two young hard working full backs allied to Goodwin returning to a midfield role that made the difference.

Mair certainly had an improved spell again... but even when just back and getting all the plaudits, his idd mistake were goal-costing ones.

Too regular an occurrence.

No it wasn't.

It was the combination of McGregor returning plus two young hard working full backs allied to Goodwin returning to a midfield role that made the difference.

Mair certainly had an improved spell again... but even when just back and getting all the plaudits, his idd mistake were goal-costing ones.

Too regular an occurrence.

... change of goalkeeper as well. Did Lex not say it was all down to Harkins being dropped that we stopped losing and began winning? Could it be that it was a combination of changing keeper and most of the back four, and a few midfielders (eg McGinn started getting a game) and Thommo started scoring as well?

I have no gripes with the decision to move Mair on - it's standard practice with fringe players but I still maintain my two criticisms of the deal.

No matter the prevailing opinion on Mair's ability he's in Thistle's first team so he an improvement compared to what else is available to them - he improves their first team at our expense and his absence (or that of a replacement) weakens our squad.

We failed to replace him during the transfer window and are now left with the free agents, which has got to be considered more of a lottery than most transfers. I hope we get lucky but I maintain (hopefully for the last time) my opinion that his decision on this issue along with many others since last May have been poor.

I fail to see how going straight into any first team means that a new signing has improved that team: remember our new summer signings who mostly went straight into our first team: Cornell, Grainger, Harkins, Bahoken. Once we dropped those signings who went straight into our first team we improved.

Have Thistle won a game since Mair joined them?

... change of goalkeeper as well. Did Lex not say it was all down to Harkins being dropped that we stopped losing and began winning? Could it be that it was a combination of changing keeper and most of the back four, and a few midfielders (eg McGinn started getting a game) and Thommo started scoring as well?

It could indeed well have been.

I'm just getting tired of people slating the manager for getting rid of Mair when he is no better than a journeyman defender who is prone to regular lapses in concentration that usually cost goals... and all because he is a likeable guy with a trendy pally nicknamezo who is making friends and a living from keep fit classes and diet products!

How many goals did we ship during his last three games for us? Double figures? Yet he is apparantly one of the bedt defenders and a club legend!

Sorry... def not having a go at you bud... just ranting!!!