Stats Analysis Predicts 11Th Place Finish

ds10

Danny has certainly got his work cut out for him if this is to be believed

Analysis based on the form of Premiership teams in the first half of the season

http://www.stv.tv/sport/football/scottish-premier/260652-half-term-stats-report-do-stats-point-to-a-play-off-place-for-st-mirren/

Form can change !

Although this does show that Danny clearly needs to be busy during the remainder of the transfer window !!

Stats are a nonsense.

Was the prediction made from form over the last few games?

If the stats were published 4 or 5 weeks ago they'd probably have us heading for 3rd.

After 21 games we're joint 8th, that's all that matters right now.

Edited by davidg

Stats are a nonsense.

Was the prediction made from form over the last few games?

If the stats were published 4 or 5 weeks ago they'd probably have us heading for 3rd.

After 21 games we're joint 8th, that's all that matters right now.

You've not bothered with reading the article, then, David? :)

These stats are different, and complete - drawing on new techniques of analysis in other sports, such as ice-hockey.

It notes that where Saints are now may be worrying, as they are as high as might be hoped given shots on goal etc... Whereas teams below are under par, given the same data. Saints have had the rub of the green (a Gusism that used to rankle with me... ), the other teams are now due a turn.

It IS interesting and possibly perceptive.

But I was never a Buddie based on stats or realities.... :(

You've not bothered with reading the article, then, David? :)

These stats are different, and complete - drawing on new techniques of analysis in other sports, such as ice-hockey.

It notes that where Saints are now may be worrying, as they are as high as might be hoped given shots on goal etc... Whereas teams below are under par, given the same data. Saints have had the rub of the green (a Gusism that used to rankle with me... ), the other teams are now due a turn.

It IS interesting and possibly perceptive.

But I was never a Buddie based on stats or realities.... :(

Yup, Still rubbish mate.

Number of shots mean nothing if they're from poor positions.

Similar stats are used in golf all the time, putting for example.

Someone could have the least putts per round, most people think he's the best putter? He must win a tournament soon? Not always the case. The same guy is often well down in the greens in regulation rankings, meaning his shots to the green are from green side. Most of his putts are inside 5 feet, he holes more putts.

As I said, the only star that matters is the position and points column in the league table and we're joint 8th after 21 games. :)

Edited by davidg

Great thread. Well I think we all knew that Thommo needed help and can't be expected to shoulder the responsibility himself.

Looking at McLean's goals of 4 is a decent return for midfielder who has been in and out the team this season mainly due to injuries. I know he has a few doubters (never understood why) but a midfielder who chips in with goals are worth there weight in gold and should be partnered alongside McGinn in the centre when available. McGowan has a decent assist total but I have said before needs to be chipping in with more goals than he does.

If I read the article it says were just about where we should be an due for a small pick up in form. We're currently 9th and if we end the season there I'm happy also if we maintain current form we should end up with a points total of 43.

Just pointing out that the stats say one thing and the "commentary" says another.

Am I worried. I'm always worried. But there is some amount of shit out there. Example last week there was all the talk about us being sucked into the fight for 11th place, When were we actually out of that fight1eye.gif

Oh well that will be that then. The analysts are going to make an absolute mint on their coupon over the coming weeks ! What total and utter bollocks. Previous performance is no guide to future results in football as all bookies will gleefully confirm. According to this shit there can be no such thing as form improvement - shit results previously will mean equally shit results in the future - bullshit ! Thank the lord football is played on grass and not on paper. The haters and the pessimistic will cling to anything.

Oh well that will be that then. The analysts are going to make an absolute mint on their coupon over the coming weeks ! What total and utter bollocks. Previous performance is no guide to future results in football as all bookies will gleefully confirm. According to this shit there can be no such thing as form improvement - shit results previously will mean equally shit results in the future - bullshit ! Thank the lord football is played on grass and not on paper. The haters and the pessimistic will cling to anything.

ETA APOLOGIES FOR TRIPLE POST PISH CONNECTION TODAY

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

As the Lady Galadriel about football statistics "They show things that were, things that are, and some things that have not yet come to pass."

These are stats from an independent observer not one of the sites resident nutters with an axe to grind holiday.gif , that said we're coming to the business end of the season and the H2H's between us and the other three teams struggling to avoid the play-off spot.

Like I always say - hold on tight, its gonna be a bumpy ride................

As the Lady Galadriel about football statistics "They show things that were, things that are, and some things that have not yet come to pass."

These are stats from an independent observer not one of the sites resident nutters with an axe to grind holiday.gif , that said we're coming to the business end of the season and the H2H's between us and the other three teams struggling to avoid the play-off spot.

Like I always say - hold on tight, its gonna be a bumpy ride................

Well "said". whistling.gif

ETA APOLOGIES FOR TRIPLE POST PISHED TODAY

Sorted it for you !