Gus Back In Football

pod

Gardner Speirs was employed F/T by Queens (for nearly 6 years) and his predecessor Billy Stark got promoted to U-21 manager.

Based at Hampden they have a Youth Squad shutup.gif and their fans don't seem too fussed by results, preferring to play attractive football shutup.gif - I seem to recall that relegation from the bottom tier kicks in next season (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so maybe they are looking to safeguard their league position, anyway like I say it has to be regarded as one of, if not the, best managerial jobs outside the SPFL

You are right about the youth squad - a lot of 16 and 17 year old lads in their first team squad. They actually have one of the better pro youth set ups too amongst the Initiative clubs. Gardner Speirs did a pretty good job there over the six years - and you're right it is usually a full time appointment.

Those talking about the St Mirren connection missed the fact that prior to Stark and Speirs, John McCormack was their first full time professional Head Coach.

I'd be surprised if Speirs isn't back in football soon though .He's an excellent coach and would make a fine coach or assistant manager again in the top flight.

Edited by Stuart Dickson