Gary Dicker

Blairy_the_Bulgarian

IMO, there'd be games where you could justify playing someone like him alongside someone like Goodwin. Celtic away, for example. Two spoilers that give a platform for a front 4.

Two defensive midfielders might suggest a lack of creativity, but when your strikeforce/attacking mf players are being selected from Thommo/Campbell/McGinn/Gowser/Teale/Wylde, and you have fullbacks in Naismith and Kelly who have shown they're happy to get forward, it would give us the best of both worlds.

It'll give us options, is all. I welcome this signing.

Danny has been actively looking for another player to fill the Goodwin roll for some time. Gary Dicker has played in the championship with Brighton and will be a cracking signing.

This is just the type of player that we often miss out on to other SPL clubs, so in this respect I'm happy to have another big strong and imposing player in the midfield.

Is this the diet version of the Mark Yardley breakfast?

If he does sign will Goodwin be second choice? Could spell the end for the captain to in the summer.

We need 2 players for an important position like holding mid - beenn saying that for a while. Looks a very good signing but I hope DL isn't thinking this would give the option of utilising Goodwin as centre half cover as he is simply not good enough in that position even as a back up.

Great signing but in no way detracts from the need to sign a central defender too before the window closes.

Great, I wonder if he can kick it really far, too...

But naw, I'm being a dick. Despite the protestations of a few slightly barmy posters above, we have needed a second defensive midfielder since Shuggie left. The impact on the team when JG isn't available or is playing badly is woefully apparent, and I don't even get to many games. This would be a good move.

(PS I love the idea that players absolutely have to arrive at the club in a certain order. We can't sign a DM (which we need) because we need a CB more. And if they don't arrive in the right order then I WILL RAGE ON THE INTERNET.)

Who ever said they need to arrive in a certain order? What I said was can we afford a decent CB as well as Dicker.

But I do agree with the bold part of your post thumbup2.gif

I would be happy with this guy. DVZ is a great and loyal servant to the club but I do not rate him for the holding role in midfield. He holds back too much, plays too deep with poor distribution IMHO. DVZ as a back four squad player for another season (or even right midfield) but not central midfield.

We need 2 players for an important position like holding mid - beenn saying that for a while. Looks a very good signing but I hope DL isn't thinking this would give the option of utilising Goodwin as centre half cover as he is simply not good enough in that position even as a back up.

Great signing but in no way detracts from the need to sign a central defender too before the window closes.

Our captain played as a centre half in the semi-final and the final of our glorious cup win in 2013. These games were two of our best results and performances at the highest level for many a year. Jim played his part in that at the position of centre half. I'd be happy for him to plug the gap in defence anytime.

Goodwin would do alright for a game or two at central defence, but longer than that would be terrible.

He lacks any tactical discipline to hold the line, instead favours the school boy chase the ball approach, which leaves gaps for the opposition to exploit.

We need a central defender and a holding midfielder both of whom are better than what we currently have, if we harbour any ambition of progressing in the league.