Putting The Fans In Control

rea

Aww, FFS, rea,,,, I'll give it ten minutes, no, make that five, until the bunfight starts, the wounds are opened up, and it gets ugly. Maybe two minutes - depends if a new alias is online or having their tea.

Anyway.... ding dong, round 1....

perhaps we should just ask Div to pin and lock this topic now........

....p.s you can use my real name BTW whistling.gif

perhaps we should just ask Div to pin and lock this topic now........

....p.s you can use my real name BTW whistling.gif

It's an open forum, so you are perfectly free to post a new topic about fan ownership here, and on P&B as you have also done.

Have to admit though, I sighed a bit when I saw the thread, purely from the aspect that 'fan-on-fan' argument and some pretty intense alias-on-alias Wild West themed divisiveness had just receeded from memory.

Here we go again... you must have a reason for re-igniting this debate at this moment in time. I don't believe for a minute you're just throwing this out there on two forums to have a chit-chat about it in general terms. Not when you add in the Sevco Franchise blog' too.

Annnyway.... your call to start new threads. I've still got my tin hat and flak jacket, but have no stomach to get them out the cupboard again in a hurry. Yours must be battle-scarred, are you a glutton for punishment!?

Edited by pozbaird

It's an open forum, so you are perfectly free to post a new topic about fan ownership here, and on P&B as you have also done.

Have to admit though, I sighed a bit when I saw the thread, purely from the aspect that 'fan-on-fan' argument and some pretty intense alias-on-alias Wild West themed divisiveness had just receeded from memory.

Here we go again... you must have a reason for re-igniting this debate at this moment in time. I don't belive for a minute you're just throwing this out there on two forums to have a chit-chat about it in general terms. Not when you add in the Sevco Franchise blog' too.

Annnyway.... best of luck with it. I've still got my tin hat and flak jacket, but have no stomach to get them out the cupboard again in a hurry.

Just my involvement with SD and assisting in some consultation on the paper, and while that Blog has taken on some Rangers issues a lot of it is relevant to most clubs and fans looking at these issues, and i have enjoyed working with a number of them in Scotland and England since the bid for St Mirren failed

Just thought some folk who i still speak to from time to time might be interested to see where the whole Fanownership agenda is going.

It is NOT me making another attempt at it at St Mirren...........

Edited by rea

Just my involvement with SD and assisting in some consultation on the paper, and while that Blog has taken on some Rangers issues a lot of it is relevant to most clubs and fans looking at these issues, and i have enjoyed working with a number of them in Scotland and England since the bid for St Mirren failed

Fair enough. One minute, and counting 'til the in-fighting starts....boxing.gif

Edit: In response to your edit about St Mirren.... fair enough*

* Tell Campbell to get something better than Fosters on draught for the first new meeting. rolleyes.gif

Edited by pozbaird

Fair enough. One minute, and counting 'til the in-fighting starts....boxing.gif

Edit: In response to your edit about St Mirren.... fair enough*

* Tell Campbell to get something better than Fosters on draught for the first new meeting. rolleyes.gif

I am sure I still owe you some good bottled stuff !! we could fight about that instead

As well as trying to legislate to make it easier for fans to buy control of their clubs I do find it staggering that there is no government legislation or SFA or SPFL legislation dealing with clubs who have been liquidated or in administration who get a second chance and then continue to extract the Michael with how they run their clubs as soon as they exit administration / insolvency: we'll pay our manager £825k a year in the lowest league against part-time teams and run at a loss of £1m a month (The International Rangers FC) or Hearts appealing to sign players while they have a transfer ban and in administration and don't have enough money to expect to finish the season without fresh investment mid-season.

Until the football governing bodies in Scotland insist on strict financial controls that all clubs must adhere to there is very little that will change.

Instead of trying to mimic the English model, the SFA and the relevant league bodies should be modelling our game on the German Bundesliga system that has been successful since the 1960's.

Instead these governing bodies are only interested in their own self importance and this will continue to destroy our national game.

Fans up and down the country are treated like shit and the rise of ticket prices will continue to drive supporters away.

There needs to be a significant change in attitude of supporters towards joining their own clubs supporters trust.

The power will come to supporters when there is sufficient number that reflect the majority of the support.

If SMISA had 2-3000 members contributing £2 per month it could start to build up a fund to support share purchase.

Sadly I don't see that happening - even in times of trouble SMISA could only manage to get around 100 fans to put in regular donations.

IIRC SMISA have raised well over £100,000. SMISA are cash rich to the tune of £50,000.

Imagine if 1000 fans had joined SMISA instead of 100 during that period?

worth noting we had 1007 members at £13.50 per month avg of 10000hours

I thought we had fans in control.

Is it not just the case that other fans didn't have enough money to take control from the present fans?

Fair Comment, we did not raise enough money, perhaps better worded as Cooperative Fan Control

Edited by rea

I don't really think there's much evidence of fan owned clubs just finding their level. Barcelona is a shit example as they're debt riddled and German clubs get large backing from businesses. Look at Stirling & Clyde, levels found. Down south...yup, all found their level. I keep seeing tweets about Rangers or Hearts, I'd love to see it but only because their fans woulr rip their clubs to bits.

It just won't work for so many more reasons than why it should.

i would be happier to see something more than a proposed bill and even happier if it was promoted by a really worthwhile political party, that said i do believe the fan ownership thing has no hope at smfc, we could not raise the money and were given false hope by companies who promised support but never gave it, the whole thing was a massive dud which basically took the piss out of us

Fan ownership will not just disappear, SD are working here and in europe on this and it will come at some point,probably with Uefa licensing, its just the form it takes

Swansea have the fans guaranteed a place on the board as they have 15 per cent of the shares, this is written into the company articles and any new owner is obliged to honour this

Fan ownership will not just disappear, SD are working here and in europe on this and it will come at some point,probably with Uefa licensing, its just the form it takes

Swansea have the fans guaranteed a place on the board as they have 15 per cent of the shares, this is written into the company articles and any new owner is obliged to honour this

Supporters Direct...blah, blah!

If fans want to run their club then they should turn out in numbers and not expect others to fund their dream. They should be realistic about the level of their club and keep the pish about budgets etc to football manager. In the majority of occasions, debt comes from expectation. Clubs like Rangers and Hearts, not to mention their fans, deserve everything they get. Their fans have already shown they don't understand business or football, giving them control would be madness.

SD or no SD it's SGG who pulls the strings at our club and he pulled the cic release string because he saw it as potentially damaging to our club,

It absolutely was. We already had the "they're not Saints fans" pish even before the fans and companies had taken over. I also, in all honesty, didn't agree with how much control the top table would have had. It seemed the fans would be "allowed" to discuss issues then their say might, if they're lucky, be considered for possible inclusion as the final possible point of consideration.

It absolutely was. We already had the "they're not Saints fans" pish even before the fans and companies had taken over. I also, in all honesty, didn't agree with how much control the top table would have had. It seemed the fans would be "allowed" to discuss issues then their say might, if they're lucky, be considered for possible inclusion as the final possible point of consideration.

well it's one member of "the top table" who has dragged this back on the forum,there are still remnants of the elite members who wanted to pay more and have more say on things (including priority service at the bar lol.gif ) you can pay through the nose to have a game of golf with them in close season if you want - well actually you can only do that if you played last year or if your quick and can prebook for this year - because they have restricted the numbers, (dont want just anybody turning up)

Aye, that old "Golf Day" also known as Grammarian Networking Bollocks with an excuse for sausage roll thieving.

they do pay for it and it does raise money for the youth academy, it's just that they want to keep it to an exclusive group, because it is a cost effective way of networking, why dont they have a golf day at barshaw and give less well off supporters a chance of a game - no prestige for them in that and also no chance of their buddies at the private golf club making any money from it,

they do pay for it and it does raise money for the youth academy, it's just that they want to keep it to an exclusive group, because it is a cost effective way of networking, why dont they have a golf day at barshaw and give less well off supporters a chance of a game - no prestige for them in that and also no chance of their buddies at the private golf club making any money from it,

Wouldn't it piss on their prawn sandwiches if the 'real' (the ones who put money into the club) fans organised there own day at Barshaw, invited some players and donated any funds raised to youth development or A.N. other worthy cause.

It be a damn sight more fun than listening to 'Crawford' and 'Campbell' pretending to be best friends then jumping in their cars and fecking off in different directions for another year! Or wittering on about the the teams they really supportwhistling.gif