Taxi Drivers - Why?

Miss Saint

Why do some drivers not know how much a fare should be?

Last night I got a taxi home from my brothers, taxi lead by sat nav the whole way and at one point, coming down the back road from barrhead sat nat says turn left now and he proceeds to turn into the entrance to the glennifer - naw!

Anyhoo, gets to house I said how much is that he replies what is it usually told him no idea as don't usually get a taxi back so he says well £7.40 but just give me what it is usually, told him again I have no idea and he says well give me £7.40 then and HE seemed annoyed! It was 3am I had had a few haufs gave £7.40 (nae tip for his attitude or the fact I have no idea how much it was meant to be) and that was it.

So - shouldn't taxi drivers know how much a fare is? I do realise in the grand scheme of world problems it really isn't up there but it has happened a few times and it annoys me.

Happy Saturday COYS!

Last night I got a taxi home from my brothers, taxi lead by sat nav the whole way and at one point, coming down the back road from barrhead sat nat says turn left now and he proceeds to turn into the entrance to the glennifer - naw!

Anyhoo, gets to house I said how much is that he replies what is it usually told him no idea as don't usually get a taxi back so he says well £7.40 but just give me what it is usually, told him again I have no idea and he says well give me £7.40 then and HE seemed annoyed! It was 3am I had had a few haufs gave £7.40 (nae tip for his attitude or the fact I have no idea how much it was meant to be) and that was it.

So - shouldn't taxi drivers know how much a fare is?  I do realise in the grand scheme of world problems it really isn't up there but it has happened a few times and it annoys me.

Happy Saturday COYS!

I would say that in his defence it's possible that he has not made that journey in the same way you hadn't.

However , as they have a mileage chart he should of used that as his guide. Initial charge , plus mileage :)

You could of had some fun though when he said £7.40. You could of said 'I only have a fiver, can you reverse back a bit ?' :P

I thought from the title we were in for an esoteric question along the lines of What Is The Meaning Of Life or even Shull-Why? Don't know the score with taxis in Renfrewshire but over here the local guys seem very honest and we rarely hear stories about overcharging. But the airport taxi boys from the International and George Best Airports are the greediest money grabbing crooks around.

If only they didn't double park , block streets , pull out in front of you or 20mph in a 40 zone because they don't know where they are going but if you do similar , they will be right up yer arse . .

Apart from that....salt of the earth?

So - shouldn't taxi drivers know how much a fare is? I do realise in the grand scheme of world problems it really isn't up there but it has happened a few times and it annoys me.

Happy Saturday COYS!

Missed a trick there, I would have been right in with "Oh, the usual..................£4.35" thumbup2.gif

I wid assume the Driver was maybe new to the job, unaware of the best route and honest.

And that's why he was asking what the usual fare was so not to overcharge Lady Spangle.

Following Sat Nav may not give the cheapest option.

Worst thing about taxi drivers I've found recently is them attempting to self tip. On a few occasions I've handed over £5 for a £3.30 or £3.50 fare and been handed back £1. I ask for the rest and they get annoyed!

Cheeky feckers!

I wid assume the Driver was maybe new to the job, unaware of the best route and honest.

And that's why he was asking what the usual fare was so not to overcharge Lady Spangle.

Following Sat Nav may not give the cheapest option.

I am not implying he was trying to overcharge but I don't understand how he can't know, as someone said you's have your mileage chart. And whilst it's fine when you are going somewhere you know as such, going to a destination you aren't sure of and the driver has to be told by sat nav - it's not right really is it. Fair enough getting into glenburn and then switching it on but having to listen to that bloody in 300 yards turn left blah blah.

Cheeky feckers!

I am not implying he was trying to overcharge but I don't understand how he can't know, as someone said you's have your mileage chart. And whilst it's fine when you are going somewhere you know as such, going to a destination you aren't sure of and the driver has to be told by sat nav - it's not right really is it. Fair enough getting into glenburn and then switching it on but having to listen to that bloody in 300 yards turn left blah blah.

Was the driver foreign?

Yip! was it the use of the sat nav that gave it away haha

The joke is they don't say good afternoon when you get in their taxi, they ask for your postcode.

A lot of people ask for a British driver when phoning a taxi.

The joke is they don't say good afternoon when you get in their taxi, they ask for your postcode.

A lot of people ask for a British driver when phoning a taxi.

I've only had a few foreign drivers with the sat nav and it's not a huge problem. One time I had to direct the guy to glenburn, never mind the street - sorry but that's just not right. Fair enough some drivers might not know the odd street but when you don't know a whole area? I still have no idea what the taxi should have been but I'm hoping around the 7.40 he charged me haha

Maybe because when they get in a taxi they want a driver who knows where he is going.Its mainly older people who request it.

And someone who just moved to Paisley from England will know where they are going?

Quite a few local drivers are worse, try take you shite routes to add a few pence on.

Feel sorry for guys like you who have been doing it for years but now there's too many taxis on the road now. Few of my uncles have done it for years also and it's getting tougher. They'll hire a radio and a car to anyone.

Edited by davidg

And someone who just moved to Paisley from England will know where they are going?

Quite a few local drivers are worse, try take you shite routes to add a few pence on.

Feel sorry for guys like you who have been doing it for years but now there's too many taxis on the road now. Few of my uncles have done it for years also and it's getting tougher. They'll hire a radio and a car to anyone.

Your last sentence says it all.

What's a Sat Nav ?

A-Z book has worked fine for me for years even though it's missing a few new Estates.

Vast majority of hires know exactly where they are going and are more than happy to help you if you're no sure.

What's a Sat Nav ?

A-Z book has worked fine for me for years even though it's missing a few new Estates.

Vast majority of hires know exactly where they are going and are more than happy to help you if you're no sure.

For once in my life I knew where I was going hehe. My problem is when they don't even know where an area is! wtf?