One Year Ago Today

uhura

27 Jan 2013, Saintee Boys 3, Celtic 2. I fair enjoyed that day at Hampden.

In over 40 years following St Mirren I think that was probably the single best victory I have seen in that time. To beat one of the "ugly sisters" in a semi-final at Hampden is something I doubted I'd ever see!!

Didn't we have a lovely time
The day we went to Hampden
Look at the score, Who could want more,
And only twenty five pounds or so,

Though they scored two, we still went through,

To meet Hearts in the final
Singing a few of our favourite songs
As the 'Tic went down!

Edited by stlucifer

It was a surreal day in many respects. No-one was giving us a sniff, and I confess to being in that number, so I was pretty relaxed before KO. Step up the debut-boy (with an assist from a fellow newbie), we have something to cheer about, and you reckon it will at least be an interesting afternoon. The stuffing was knocked out of us with their goal just before the break as we had been playing really well.

2nd half, and they are awarded the inevitable dubious penalty. Heart sink territory until Samson threw himself across his goal, and suddenly there was genuine belief. Could we really pull this off? Our turn for a spot-kick, FFS! An absolute stonewaller this time. Wee Gowser slots it away with aplomb, and wheels away towards the Saints support who go into rapture.

Then the nerves kick-in. We had something to defend. It'll be backs to the wall stuff now, most of us assumed, and we would be relentlessly battered. Ah, but we hadn't factored in the likes of John McGinn and Graham Carey having their best matches in a St Mirren strip. Gary Teale was in inspired form, and David Van Zanten was like a man reborn. They didn't batter us. They unravelled, and the best supporters in the world grew ever quieter and unsettled.

Then it was Thommo Time! Words can't do it justice.

After that goal, I never feared we would throw it away. The script had been written. The modest band of Saints supporters were truly magnificent that afternoon. It was a privilege to be there.

Remarkable, magnificent, and genuinely unforgettable!

Edited by Drew

It was a surreal day in many respects. No-one was giving us a sniff, and I confess to being in that number, so I was pretty relaxed before KO. Step up the debut-boy (with an assist from a fellow newbie), we have something to cheer about, and you reckon it will at least be an interesting afternoon. The stuffing was knocked out of us with their goal just before the break as we had been playing really well.

2nd half, and they are awarded the inevitable dubious penalty. Heart sink territory until Samson threw himself across his goal, and suddenly there was genuine belief. Could we really pull this off? Our turn for a spot-kick, FFS! An absolute stonewaller this time. Wee Gowser slots it away with aplomb, and wheels away towards the Saints support who go into rapture.

Then the nerves kick-in. We had something to defend. It'll be backs to the wall stuff now, most of us assumed, and we would be relentlessly battered. Ah, but we hadn't factored in the likes of John McGinn and Graham Carey having their best matches in a St Mirren strip. Gary Teale was in inspired form, and David Van Zanten was like a man reborn. They didn't batter us. They unravelled, and the best supporters in the world grew ever quieter and unsettled.

Then it was Thommo Time! Words can't do it justice.

After that goal, I never feared we would throw it away. The script had been written. The modest band of Saints supporters were truly magnificent that afternoon. It was a privilege to be there.

Remarkable, magnificent, and genuinely unforgettable!

Amen to that. Just about brought the tears flooding back with that post. Absolutely brilliant

I wasn't at the semi final, however the whole estate knew all about it every time we scored as I found myself out in the back garden before I'd calmed down. My wife and kids generally go out and leave me to it when saints are on tv. By the time they came home I was a blubbering fool and I'm sure they thought I'd had some sort of breakdown while they were out. Does this site archive old posts or are they deleted over time? I would love to read over the posts around the semi and the final cos I'm a sentimental old fool

I wasn't at the semi final, however the whole estate knew all about it every time we scored as I found myself out in the back garden before I'd calmed down. My wife and kids generally go out and leave me to it when saints are on tv. By the time they came home I was a blubbering fool and I'm sure they thought I'd had some sort of breakdown while they were out. Does this site archive old posts or are they deleted over time? I would love to read over the posts around the semi and the final cos I'm a sentimental old fool

Here's the semi matchday thread......started by shull

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/35117-st-mirren-v-celtic-league-cup-semi-final/?fromsearch=1

Especially when you can hear that , as far as Thommo and Gary are concerned , it meant as much to them as it did to us . .

I think it was a better performance than Final but for me , it was also our fans . We were absolutely incredible that day , right behind the team and the singing was the best for many a year , at least the best crowd since we left Love St. .

On January the 27th, it was cold and grey,

Four thousand plus Buddies, watched Saints play.

On the field we had Samson, our goals he was in,

With Van Zanten, McAusland, Carey and Goodwin.

Teale, McGowan, McGinn and Newton,

Not one of them afraid to put the boot in.

Up front were Thomson and Goncalves the new lad,

With a point to prove that they weren’t that bad.

The scene was set, the players stood tall,

Not one seemed afraid, to get on the ball.

Right from the off they battled with heart,

And we were rewarded, with the perfect start.

Teale got the ball and moved it to Connor,

Who made a great pass, Isma taking the honour.

Now we were leading and showing our fight,

Giving the mighty Celtic, a helluva fright.

But just on halftime, a goal for the 'Tic,

Made us feel almost physically sick.

The second half began in the worst possible way,

With the ref pointing to the spot, wrongly, I'd say.

Mulgrew was the taker, Craig stood on his line,

The shot was good, but the save was sublime.

Samson was the hero, he kept the ball out,

And the fans in the south end continued to shout.

Then Saints were handed, a pen. of their own,

McGowan was there, and how to do it was shown.

In went the ball, and the Buddies were ahead,

Black'nWhite fans celebrate, As Saints again led.

It couldn't get better, you would have to believe,

But another twist was given, by our hero Steve.

He's been a Buddies’ fan, since he could recall,

And he had cause to celebrate as he got the ball,

Cheesey crossed from the right, behind Thommo it dropped,

But with an athletic stretch, he still made the shot.

In it went, now three one was the score,

And Stephen ran over, there was an almighty roar.

Danny rang changes, on came Barron then Mair,

With the time running out, we didn’t care.

Another sub for us, in the shape of Guy,

But it didn’t matter, as we were on a high.

And though Celtic scored, their tally to double,

It was far too late, to cause us some trouble.

The final whistle blew, and we stood to applaud,

Not just the team, but the whole of the squad

Another trip beckons, we’ll head for this ground,

In expectation of winning, the final round!

I forgot about this. One day too late now though!

Edited by stlucifer