Danny Grainger Shown The Door

According to todays scottish sun, he is free to find another ckub due to lack of gane time. If thats the case surely must be more than one player coming in before deadline?

This is bad news, suicide alerts in place all over the forum.

PS KTF......................whistling.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Why wait until so late in the month ? Not much chance of finding a new club and agreeing a deal in 2 days.

All the better to piss the player off if he has to stick around. You can't have too much disaffection in the ranks.

He could be released as a free agent, I suppose. This would take the window out of the equation, bit is he really likely to accept this? I wouldn't.

I thought Grainger would be worth a punt in the summer and was happy enough when we signed him, as there was next to nothing else available in that position.

Hasn't worked out for either party, we move on.

Now, how about a cheeky wee loan bid for Dummett?

If he does go it would be really quite a poor reflection on Danny's summer signings, 5 of the 8 would have gone.

3 remaining are Newton, Dilo and Bahoken.

Newtons loan was effectively extended, I wouldn't class him as a new signing.

Danny tried to get rid of Bahoken but couldn't.

Dilo is the only one who could be classed as being any kind of success, and he is our second choice keeper.

What a terrible, terrible window it was for the management and the football club.

On paper Grainger was a good signing.

We needed a left back and he was available with plenty of SPL experience, sadly he wasn't 100% fit when he joined and never really got going.

I'd be a bit concerned if he left though and Kelly got injured.

Worth noting though it says he can go as opposed to he's been released, similar situation to the one Mair was in.

If he did leave there would be major cash freed up with Barron, Mair and Grainger off the wage bill.

davidg said

Tess doing well at Killie pre-season, he's staying there.

If Grainger stays fit he'll be one of DL's best signings IMO.

Interesting to hear who the other trialist tonight is, he didn't train with the squad yesterday so he's a fresh face.

lex said

This indeed would be a fantastic signing, Danny's first for a good couple of years. He is unquestionably good enough for the Premiership, the only question is regarding his fitness

Hindsight - both of you reckoned he was worth the gamble (as did I)!

Problems with the quote function, dragging from the initial thread but it's all there - what you said at the time..

Edited by Bud the Baker

Grainger had a very serious injury before he joined us. To expect him to be back to full match fitness in less than 10 -15 games at SPFL level was asking too much. I thought he might have put in a better show in the second half of the season but its not to be. He needs a run of games and he needs them without constant barracking from fans week in, week out (that's Saints fans for you). If it frees up money then a move is the best for both sides. Good luck to him.

davidg said

lex said

Hindsight - both of you reckoned he was worth the gamble (as did I)!

Problems with the quote function, dragging from the initial thread but it's all there - what you said at the time..

I also said...............

I think once people watch Kelly today the urgency for a left back will calm a little.

He's fast, strong and a pretty decent player. I can see him playing there all season.

Mo and Anton did ok last season and Sean Kelly is probably the best of the 3.

A fit Grainger should have been a great signing but it was a panic signing as we had a decent young left back there ready to step up. A squad player at left back was all that was needed.

I also said...............

A fit Grainger should have been a great signing but it was a panic signing as we had a decent young left back there ready to step up. A squad player at left back was all that was needed.

What you said prior to Grainger signing is irrelevant - like the rest of us you thought he was a worthwhile gamble.

Everyone knew about his injury, without it he wouldn't have been an option for us - it was a decent signing, unfortunately one that doesn't appear to have worked out. Trying to offload him 2/3 days before the transfer window close is an entirely different matter...........

Edited by Bud the Baker

What you said prior to Grainger signing is irrelevant -

Yes it is, I reckoned we had a someone who was capable of playing there all season.

like the rest of us you thought he was a worthwhile gamble.

I didn't say it was worthwhile.

On paper Grainger was the best signing of the summer. I think its safe to say most of us were happy with the signing. IMO this is one that DL doesnt take too much blame for (unlike some of the others)

We are now at a point where we desperatly need bodies, the no better than what we have quotes wont wash, we are so short pretty much everywhere on the park.

Guy on twitter has put up a table of all dannys signings since 2011 (so excluding the disasterious signings of his first season) and it doesnt make good reading at all.

Edited by foxbar_bud

Yes it is, I reckoned we had a someone who was capable of playing there all season.

I didn't say it was worthwhile.

Then the circumstances changed, we signed Grainger and I certainly don't see the words "panic signing" in your post, I guess we'll just have to disagree on our interpretation of it.

Edited by Bud the Baker