Morgaro Gomis

monster munch

Deary me! lol.gif:

Lennon is the one who signed all these duds on "£10 a week", a whole host of them.

I'd have preferred it if he hadn't signed them in the first place and had signed some players who were actually decent. Its that simple!

Where's all the money coming from to sign these decent players.

Deary me! lol.gif:

Lennon is the one who signed all these duds on "£10 a week", a whole host of them.

I'd have preferred it if he hadn't signed them in the first place and had signed some players who were actually decent. Its that simple!

Yes it's that simple.

You speak with such authority for a man who can't possibly know how hard it must be to attract good footballers when every other club is doing the same thing.

Simple is the one thing it CANNOT be described as.

Away and take your common sense with you!

For example...Say Mair was on £ 10 a week, to not play. He moves to thistle for £5 a week,even if we pay the other £5 a week for the rest of his deal. It still allows us to bring in someone else at £5, who is going to play. Budget remains the same.

These contracts are cancelled by mutual consent, so at most the club only pays at most what's left on these contracts, not more and quite possible less.

Yeah but unless you can get a better player in for that other fiver then it's a bad decision. Besides Mair is much of a muchness with our two remaining CH's, the whole saga from attempting to freeze him out of the club at the start of the season to subsidizing him to play for our chief rivals in the fight to avoid the play-off spot has been a farce.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Yeah but unless you can get a better player in for that other fiver then it's a bad decision. Besides Mair is much of a muchness with our two remaining CH's, the whole saga from attempting to freeze him out of the club at the start of the season to subsidizing him to play for our chief rivals in the fight to avoid the play-off spot has been a farce.

It's starting to look like madness giving Thistle Lee Mair as they are going to be our main rivals who are strengthening all the time.

We are weakening and it's down to than just the management team

Yes it's that simple.

You speak with such authority for a man who can't possibly know how hard it must be to attract good footballers when every other club is doing the same thing.

Simple is the one thing it CANNOT be described as.

To be fair Isabella Duke is in the top ten Championship Manager 2014 players in the UK

... but in Mair's case we had the option of paying him the £10 every week to almost never play in case he earned his new deal on another £10 each week or letting him find a new club who would most likely pay him most of his £10 a week with us making up any shortfall. We save most of our £10 a week this year and also avoid the same problem next year.

... but in Mair's case we had the option of paying him the £10 every week to almost never play in case he earned his new deal on another £10 each week or letting him find a new club who would most likely pay him most of his £10 a week with us making up any shortfall. We save most of our £10 a week this year and also avoid the same problem next year.

Pish Flap's Yet again D O P ? Our new Independent currency is This ......

post-8992-0-99450500-1391220959_thumb.pn

Why did Mair hardly ever play - was it because he was worse than McAusland & McGregor or was it because Lennon was being pig-headed?

Mair's contract expired this summer, unless you know for sure that there was an extension clause built in and even if there was I don't see it as being an excuse for not fielding your strongest side when you see where the alternative has got us.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/326768/Lee-Mair-not-ready-to-give-up-St-Mirren-fight

Perhaps Lennon should've thought more about Mair's contract 18 months ago and we wouldn't have ended up weakening our squad, improving Thistle's and paying for the pleasure.

Bottom line for me is that unless we can get a new FIRST-CHOICE centre half in then we'd have been better off keeping Mair as backup!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Why did Mair hardly ever play - was it because he was worse than McAusland & McGregor or was it because Lennon was being pig-headed?

Mair's contract expired this summer, unless you know for sure that there was an extension clause built in and even if there was I don't see it as being an excuse for not fielding your strongest side when you see where the alternative has got us.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/326768/Lee-Mair-not-ready-to-give-up-St-Mirren-fight

Perhaps Lennon should've thought more about Mair's contract 18 months ago and we wouldn't have ended up weakening our squad, improving Thistle's and paying for the pleasure.

A bit premature saying Mair will improve Thistle.

Jus because he's signed for them and stating he will improve them doesn't necessarily add up.

Early days.

A bit premature saying Mair will improve Thistle.

Jus because he's signed for them and stating he will improve them doesn't necessarily add up.

Early days.

Ask the Thistle fans about him they have been impressed by him.

He has been better than anyone playing in there before.

Last week he never broke sweat against us and they kept a clean sheet

Still doesn't mean to say...............................ach ,why bother, he's the new Beckenbaur and we're fcuked.

If you can't beat them, blah blah

No- show me where I've said that or anyone who's criticized the deal.

Premature, early days etc.

We kept a clean sheet and were shit.

I'm only saying.

Didn't take you long to go back to arguing the case - 8 minutes! lol.gif

Lee Mair has gone straight into Partick Thistle's starting line-up - he's an improvement on what they had, argument over.

No- show me where I've said that or anyone who's criticized the deal.

Didn't take you long to go back to arguing the case - 8 minutes! lol.gif

Lee Mair has gone straight into Partick Thistle's starting line-up - he's an improvement on what they had, argument over.

No argument, just a difference of opinion, mines is right, yours isnae. tongue.png

Bottom line for me is that unless we can get a new FIRST-CHOICE centre half in then we'd have been better off keeping Mair as backup!

For me, the real issue now that Mair has gone is how many senior players have similar extension clauses in their contracts. Going by press reports it seems as if DVZ, Teale and Thompson certainly do and I wouldn't be surprised if Goodwin has as well. It strikes me that as players get into the age zone where they have a year or two left at SPL level that this type of clause could begin to work against them if they are dropping from a manager's longer term plans. A clause that gives the players security for one stage in their career (start over half the games in the starting XI and you can extend your contract) begins to work against the same players when they are no longer automatic first picks or may be surplus to requirements next season. The other factor with Mair, Thompson, Teale, DVZ and Goodwin is as well as having these clauses they will be among the highest earners.

How good was our defence the last time Mair had an extended run at centre half? For that you need to go back the first 3 or 4 months of last season when he was partnering Cheesy. He was replaced and kept out the team by a midfielder playing out of position, and then a loanee left back covering for amidfielder playing out of position.

I think Mair is of a similar standard to Cheesy and McGregor... for a few seasons our defence has been a problem no matter what combination of centre halves we have used. Getting rid of our best paid substitute doesn't seem to weaken us much in our book, and the fact that he walks into the Partick Thistle first team doesn't seem to strengthen them much in my book - he's still the same player with the same qualities and weaknesses he had with us. If he is a similar quality to our own problematic central defenders then surely that means he is himself problematic and on that basis I'm sure that between now and May we'll see him have his share of bad games in a Thistle shirt as well as games where he doesn't break sweat. PS he often didn't look as if he broke sweat in some of the games he played for us when we took a tanking.

For me, the real issue now that Mair has gone is how many senior players have similar extension clauses in their contracts. Going by press reports it seems as if DVZ, Teale and Thompson certainly do and I wouldn't be surprised if Goodwin has as well. It strikes me that as players get into the age zone where they have a year or two left at SPL level that this type of clause could begin to work against them if they are dropping from a manager's longer term plans. A clause that gives the players security for one stage in their career (start over half the games in the starting XI and you can extend your contract) begins to work against the same players when they are no longer automatic first picks or may be surplus to requirements next season. The other factor with Mair, Thompson, Teale, DVZ and Goodwin is as well as having these clauses they will be among the highest earners.

How good was our defence the last time Mair had an extended run at centre half? For that you need to go back the first 3 or 4 months of last season when he was partnering Cheesy. He was replaced and kept out the team by a midfielder playing out of position, and then a loanee left back covering for amidfielder playing out of position.

I think Mair is of a similar standard to Cheesy and McGregor... for a few seasons our defence has been a problem no matter what combination of centre halves we have used. Getting rid of our best paid substitute doesn't seem to weaken us much in our book, and the fact that he walks into the Partick Thistle first team doesn't seem to strengthen them much in my book - he's still the same player with the same qualities and weaknesses he had with us. If he is a similar quality to our own problematic central defenders then surely that means he is himself problematic and on that basis I'm sure that between now and May we'll see him have his share of bad games in a Thistle shirt as well as games where he doesn't break sweat. PS he often didn't look as if he broke sweat in some of the games he played for us when we took a tanking.

I think the argument we most have that he went to a direct rival and he has improved them.

We not got a problem if he went to a championship team or we had a replacement for him.

We got rid of 3 defenders but brought in none

Imo a bit of a shambles all round

I think the argument we most have that he went to a direct rival and he has improved them.

We not got a problem if he went to a championship team or we had a replacement for him.

We got rid of 3 defenders but brought in none

Imo a bit of a shambles all round

While I share your concern about the numbers going against those coming in, I think the comment re Mair improving Thistle is premature at best. I saw nothing in the game we played v Partick to endorse this. I have a feeling it will prove a damp squib of a signing for the Jags

The problem of highly paid veteran players coming to the stage of their careers where they're no longer VFM won't be unique to us. I have no knowledge of the exact terms these players are on with us but I assume they'll be industry standard. Perhaps we should be more careful with the contracts we're offering.

I too am of the view that Mair was of a similar standard to our two remaining CH's and see no problem in using the potential cost of a contract extension as a reason for having him as third pick what I do think was wrong and self-defeating was trying to freeze him out at the start of the season and then letting him go to Thistle without replacing him.

Now I know you've said elsewhere that the bulk of SP(F)L teams have released more than they've signed this window but other than Hearts (and they're a special case) do any of these teams have as threadbare a bench as us?

Edited by Bud the Baker