Eric Djemba Djemba

Im quite aware it's currently in vogue but this is the SPL and our 2 will still be playing in front of Cheesy and McGregor who are so far removed from Europes elite it's frightening. I'm not a Danny basher and I really hope this works out but it's going to take a complete rethink both in formation and personnel to accommodate Dj-Dj and in our current position this must be seen as a major gamble. We can only pick 4 attacking players in your formation so who will you be leaving out ?

Surely anyone that affords our current centre halfs more protection is an improvement?

You defend from the front backwards, stop their midfielders and there's less pressure on our defence. I'm quite optimistic about this signing, my only reservation would be his match fitness.

His goalscoring rate appears to be 1 goal every 2 seasons.,,,,

The guy's been about a bit. Clearly he wasn't English Premiership standard and has bounced about since then. Seemingly the best period of his career was a few seasons in the Danish league with Odense. What standard is that? Denmark 17th in the coefficient, Scotland 23rd... Slightly better maybe. 

A lot will depend on his attitude. If he adapts quickly, can protect the back 4 so we leak fewer goals then he'll be a good signing. With the role he plays though, I wouldn't expect him to be grabbing headlines in the same way that Isma did. 

Odense played Motherwell in the Europa League in 2010 and beat them 3-1 on aggregate. Eric played in both legs. The Danish league is of a slightly higher standard than ours, as coefficient shows, and Odense are one of their better teams.

His last three moves since Qatar have been a side ward or upward move. From Denmark to one of Israel's best teams, and then to one of Serbia's best teams, where he was released in December. All three of those leagues are at least as good if not better than our own.

Without question he is good enough for this level if he's fit enough. That's going to be the only issue in my opinion; getting him fit.

Quoted from an Odense fan on Reddit

"Djemba Djemba? Yes, in the first 2 seasons or so he was by far the best defensive midfielder in Denmark imo. He could easily play in PL or some other top 3 leagues, but luckly for us he had a bad reputation from earlier so I think thats why he had to stay. Later he got a few knee injuries that made him abit slower especially turning/rotating, but there was still some interest from England in summer 2010. Rumers said he had failed a medical at West Bromwich even thought he still was fit and could play for OB (I guess they wouldn't take the chance because of his bad knees). He knew he was too good to play in Denmark which only made his disappointment worse. Continuing knee problems and realising he was never able to transfer to a big club again, led to worse form and not working hard enough at the training grounds (Him and a group of african players was 'famous' for this). He left in 2012 after 4 years here, as probably one of the most loved players in that period, we always sang his name a few times every match."

Jesus, people complain about the club lacking ambition, yet when a bit of ambition is shown, they are sceptical from the off. Can't have it all ways folks.

This is an ambitious signing - no doubt about it. It'll do me, anyway.

Jesus, people complain about the club lacking ambition, yet when a bit of ambition is shown, they are sceptical from the off. Can't have it all ways folks.

This is an ambitious signing - no doubt about it. It'll do me, anyway.

I think that is a Scottish trait , rather than just something done by Saint Mirren fans , we never like to be over optimistic in case we are disappointed. .

I hope it is the arrival of the new "Isma" that we have and looking back , if Isma had only played that Cup Semi-Final and then went home I'd still be happy that we signed him . Maybe one man can't change a team but his goals certainly can . .

Well we've tried the Guardiola approach and that didn't work out for us and so now I assume we're switching to the Mourinho.

It certainly can't do that much harm as we've been so awful this season we can't really get any worse.

Robbie Savage said after the Chelsea game at the weekend that sometimes the system played is more important that the players themselves.

Let's hope he's got that right!!

Edited by ds10

This is like one of those panic signings that tom hendrie made to try and keep us in the spl, good signing but won't keep Danny at St Mirren beyond the end of the season.

If he helps us to a comfortable league finish and a potential cup run then it benefits all parties. Club, player and manager.

Whether he gets offered a new deal or not should we finish anywhere above the play-off spot, Danny's CV is going to look none too shabby over his 4 years. And a tough act to follow.