Lennon Out

It gets you thinking are we actually as good as we think we are right now?

So many players who would walk into our starting 11.

Man for man if say we'd be better off with Ross, Haining, Cuthbert, Dorman, Murray, Mehmet and even wee Thomson would arguably get into our starting 11 now.

The shugster played an absolute blinder at right mid that day. A great tactical move by Gus, he won everything in the air that day and roaster Barr (I'm sure it was him). Every goal kick was played in that direction.

I think it was Tam Scobbie. He absolutely f**king owned him that day!

It gets you thinking are we actually as good as we think we are right now?

So many players who would walk into our starting 11.

Man for man if say we'd be better off with Ross, Haining, Cuthbert, Dorman, Murray, Mehmet and even wee Thomson would arguably get into our starting 11 now.

The shugster played an absolute blinder at right mid that day. A great tactical move by Gus, he won everything in the air that day and roaster Barr (I'm sure it was him). Every goal kick was played in that direction.

I'd say the squad has, if anything, got slightly weaker year on year over the last 3-4 seasons, but that we are almost exactly the same general standard now as then, apart from a couple of exceptions. Even then, there's always been one or two more talented players in the team who've not made the impact they would have if they'd been surrounded by better players. I haven't seen the quality of player changing over the last 7 or 8 years, or how it could have really, based on what we can afford. Our best hope for improvement in the medium to longer term is reliant upon more McGinns coming through. The short term is obviously a more immediate concern and can only be addressed by improving the standard of player in transfer market next season (assuming we stay up), coaching, tactics and depth of squad.

Oh and that game away at Motherwell was brilliant, better even than promotion for me and part of my personal holy triumvirate of 87 cup final, and league cup final.

I forgot winning the Anglo Scottish cup in about 1977 at Craven Cottage I think, but it wasn't Fulhamn we beat was it?

Edited by Barney63

that was a fantastic day, I think motherwell away was better though, ive never experienced anything like that in my life, 2 nil down dead and buried then to come back like we did, it was up there with winning the cup, f**king tremendous, I was only 19 then smile.png

What a day, indeed. Billy mehmet was 3 players for us

if we could find another like him then we would be in better shape

He totally owned Pressley, evidenced by the slap aft his goal and the head-butt that got him sent off.

interesting to see Yogi's attitude re the sending off, a handshake and a pat on the head as he headed for the shower-pair of cnuts

Edited by beyond our ken

Like when you are one nil down in a League Cup final?

Or like when you against a 9 man team in a League Cup final?

Although Gus was fairly negative due to the lack of faith he had in his players instead focusing on our strength in defence. There wasn't much he could do that day, the players shat themselves when they realised the position they were in...

The only thing he could have done, was tell them to be patient and play it around. We all know St. Mirren fans wouldn't be happy with that.

As much blame should go to the players as Gus from that day. Gus done us well but his lack of faith in us out playing teams was his downfall, nothing else. He usually made us look competitive, and when we failed that we would get the McPherson reaction the next game.

I heard today that Danny is very much a peripheral figure in the football club these days. He knows he's leaving, the players know he's leaving and he's not making any decisions anymore.

I heard Danny's on virtual gardening leave. I heard he's facing up and presenting to the media while certain senior players in the dressing room are managing the football club.

Interesting.

I heard today that Danny is very much a peripheral figure in the football club these days. He knows he's leaving, the players know he's leaving and he's not making any decisions anymore.

I heard Danny's on virtual gardening leave. I heard he's facing up and presenting to the media while certain senior players in the dressing room are managing the football club.

Interesting.

Been the case since the killie game.

Are you not a jag? How do you know this mate? Find it hard to believe to be honest..

I am a Jags fan yes.

Do you genuinely believe I would post in a public forum the people I speak to, with connections to the club.

Bear in mind all I did was back up Lex's OP.

Interesting.

If this is true it's a sad state of affairs.

I am a Jags fan yes.

Do you genuinely believe I would post in a public forum the people I speak to, with connections to the club.

Bear in mind all I did was back up Lex's OP.

Well, why bother posting it full stop? Of course I don't expect you to let the world know who you are friends with! However I am sure a lot of people cannot believe what is happening at the club they support and posts like this ( I know something you don't know) do not help matters, I couldn't give a flying f**k as it is only a game, st.mirren will end up where they end up, but it is far more serious to other people I know..

Well, why bother posting it full stop? Of course I don't expect you to let the world know who you are friends with! However I am sure a lot of people cannot believe what is happening at the club they support and posts like this ( I know something you don't know) do not help matters, I couldn't give a flying f**k as it is only a game, st.mirren will end up where they end up, but it is far more serious to other people I know..

Stop having a hissy fit at me then and take it up with Lex, he's the one with the detail it seems.

All I did was put a date to his claims.

Interesting.

What is virtual gardening leave? Like virtual racing ?? So him standing in the dug out means he's not actually there. It sounds like something out of Star Wars Lex ?

Would you care to name the players then?