Lennon Out

I think Thommo does a great job for us and is an above average striker. Certainly good enough to play for any other club in this league with the possible exception of Sellik (at this stage in his career).

To compare him with Somner, McDougall and McAvennie is totally unfair, as they were all top class and playing in better St Mirren teams. Somner is by far the most prolific striker I've ever seen play for Saints. When paired with McDougal, they made a perfect alliance. Those were glory days.

Yardley is another story. A guy full of effort, but not able to match the effort with talent. Thommo is a far better striker.

As for the argument about our current squad - I look at it and see a top 6 spot looking a good bet. So why are we losing to Hearts Youth Academy and unable to beat a relatively ordinary Partick Thiste side?

I've been one of those defending DL all along. However, nice guy that he obviously is, he still isn't motivating these players, he certainly isn't playing them all in their best positions and he certainly isn't making the right substitutions at the critical points in matches. If any one of those faults should prove to be his downfall, it should be the 'hands-in-pockets - sitting on his arse looking blank' issue at times when the players need instruction and motivation. DL just doesn't deliver that I'm afraid, so maybe it's time we employed someone who can deliver on that.

As for who can we afford? I remember we brought in some relatively low-cost, relatively untried guy from East Stirling and he did a good enough job. Wish I could remember his name.

And lastly, on the ubiquitous point of DL having won us a cup, is it even remotely possible that we won that cup despite him being in charge? As I said, I've defended DL all along, so don't accuse me of being among that group who have a major agenda where Danny is concenred. I just think we can't keep relying on shite teams getting promoted so that we don't finish 12th. Even that safety net has now gone with the introduction of the play-off.

But we did beat Partick, or are you just deciding to use the last 2 results against these teams to justify your stance?

Just to show some balance we've also beaten Hibs (A) Dundee Utd & St Johnstone.

As has been said, you suggest we won the cup "despite" Lennon being in charge? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Poz has already stated why we won the league cup, so this is just another attempt to undermine the achievements of the manager, and the players.

To summarise, we win the league cup despite him, we lose any other games and it's all his fault? 1eye.gif

Edited by faraway saint

When a team loses the wording would be either "Lost" or "got beaten", not "got beat", please use your grammar correctly.

Back on your point about the same team.

There were 3 players in the Aberdeen team who beat Celtic who were not in the team who got beat by Hearts.

They were Adam Rooney, Barry Robson, and Shaleum Logan.

Could we have afforded them?

I doubt it.

I think Thommo does a great job for us and is an above average striker. Certainly good enough to play for any other club in this league with the possible exception of Sellik (at this stage in his career).

To compare him with Somner, McDougall and McAvennie is totally unfair, as they were all top class and playing in better St Mirren teams. Somner is by far the most prolific striker I've ever seen play for Saints. When paired with McDougal, they made a perfect alliance. Those were glory days.

Yardley is another story. A guy full of effort, but not able to match the effort with talent. Thommo is a far better striker.

As for the argument about our current squad - I look at it and see a top 6 spot looking a good bet. So why are we losing to Hearts Youth Academy and unable to beat a relatively ordinary Partick Thiste side?

I've been one of those defending DL all along. However, nice guy that he obviously is, he still isn't motivating these players, he certainly isn't playing them all in their best positions and he certainly isn't making the right substitutions at the critical points in matches. If any one of those faults should prove to be his downfall, it should be the 'hands-in-pockets - sitting on his arse looking blank' issue at times when the players need instruction and motivation. DL just doesn't deliver that I'm afraid, so maybe it's time we employed someone who can deliver on that.

As for who can we afford? I remember we brought in some relatively low-cost, relatively untried guy from East Stirling and he did a good enough job. Wish I could remember his name.

And lastly, on the ubiquitous point of DL having won us a cup, is it even remotely possible that we won that cup despite him being in charge? As I said, I've defended DL all along, so don't accuse me of being among that group who have a major agenda where Danny is concenred. I just think we can't keep relying on shite teams getting promoted so that we don't finish 12th. Even that safety net has now gone with the introduction of the play-off.

We tried to go down the 'low cost' route with Danny, the board were berated and to this day are still berated for it.

Well even if he could cut it in the SPL (which I doubt), he's no Stevie Thompson.

'Thing is, Big Yards would never have gone poncing about on Sportscene like Pat Nevin's sidekick. If Thommo concentrated on playing for St Mirren rather than worrying about what jacket he's wearing on telly, then he might of buried that header against Utd. And we'd still be in the cup. Doesn't matter how well he's doing, he can do better if he tries harder.

'Thing is, Big Yards would never have gone poncing about on Sportscene like Pat Nevin's sidekick. If Thommo concentrated on playing for St Mirren rather than worrying about what jacket he's wearing on telly, then he might of buried that header against Utd. And we'd still be in the cup. Doesn't matter how well he's doing, he can do better if he tries harder.

Christ.

Where to start with this post.

In fact I've wasted enough oxygen typing this reply.

f**k I remember big Yards appearing on that Tam Cowan programme with Jock the Cock in a guess who the footballer quiz, and I don't think he was picked out as the footballer. Some of the chat on here is f**king woeful.

I have no problem with him appearing on the telly but i do have a problem with supporters who want to ride him.He needs a quality partner up front otherwise we will continue to struggle for goals

FFS

Unbelievable

Both great players for us and loved yards when he was playing... Same way love Thommohawk..

Yards... 147 games with 40 goals

Thommohawk 95 games with 36 goals (including goal in cup final)

Mainly two different divisions , not fairest comparison but similar ratio nonetheless.

Glad you can admit when you're wrong.

First of all Danny hasn't lived up to your standards in all seasons and now you're admitting the last two have indeed been successful in your eyes. Thanks

Finishing 10th in the league and not being knocked out of the Cup by a lower league team - Danny Lennon hasn't satisfied both parts of my modest criteria in any of his four season in charge. I then qualified this by saying that failing in one part could be excused if we did better in the other.

Feel free to continue exposing your ignorance if you wish - if there's one thing worse than a pedant it's a piss poor pedant. Thanks.

lol.gif

FFS. This has got to be the most ridiculous post I've read on here excluding Dickson and bluto.

Finishing 10th in the league and not being knocked out of the Cup by a lower league team - Danny Lennon hasn't satisfied both parts of my modest criteria in any of his four season in charge. I then qualified this by saying that failing in one part could be excused if we did better in the other.

Feel free to continue exposing your ignorance if you wish - if there's one thing worse than a pedant it's a piss poor pedant. Thanks.

Can't believe you're still trying to crawl out of this with any credibility, you've backtracked so much you don't even make sense.

But let me try and understand the point you're making here,

Using your confused logic,

If we get knocked out both cups at the earliest opportunity against spl teams then finish 10th in the league then you regard that as a better season than winning the cup?

I don't think you even know what your on about