Lennon Out

It certainly would be interesting to see former Burnley Football Club & Bolton Wanderers Football Club manager Owen Coyle move from the Barclays Premier League then the Sky Bet Football League Championship to manage St. Mirren Football Club in the Scottish Professional Football League.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it for the sake of consistency...................... St Mirren's BoD's have virtually never jumped onto an experienced manager 'ship' when they have taken the decision to sack the incumbent Manager.

The track record tends to suggest we will appoint an up-and-coming manager from a lower league who has cut his teeth on promotion / good cup run / getting the best out of an inexperienced squad etc, etc...................................... come to think of it, a little like the DL of 3 or 4 years ago Flush.gif or alternatively from within.

As much as DL has had some limited success (which is obvious to the eye) he has pretty much failed in the league stats. There is a general feeling that we have a squad that should at least be competing for the top 6, but at the very worst be sitting 7th comfortably. Year on year we are making NO PROGRESS. The team has leaked important goals at the back, we seem to let certain players go then not replace them with anything better and we also lack the ability to hit any kind of consistent form.

In saying all this, the BoD's have to take any punches that are aimed at them squarely on the chin, as the writing has been on the wall for a significant period and they have stuck their collective heads in the sand and hoped that the storm would pass over......................... (sorry, probably far too many idioms). Sorry this storm isn't passing over and their reticence to act when to a huge proportion of our fans the Manager is not getting the best out of the resources, means that they, probably more so than DL, should shoulder the main part of the blame as to why we are sitting 2nd bottom. thumbdown.gif

I predict nothing will happen on the Managerial front until the end of the season, .................... I only pray that it won't be too late. Sweaty roller-coaster ride coming up,.............. anyone got the sick bucket?

I've said it before and I'll repeat it for the sake of consistency...................... St Mirren's BoD's have virtually never jumped onto an experienced manager 'ship' when they have taken the decision to sack the incumbent Manager.

The track record tends to suggest we will appoint an up-and-coming manager from a lower league who has cut his teeth on promotion / good cup run / getting the best out of an inexperienced squad etc, etc...................................... come to think of it, a little like the DL of 3 or 4 years ago Flush.gif or alternatively from within.

As much as DL has had some limited success (which is obvious to the eye) he has pretty much failed in the league stats. There is a general feeling that we have a squad that should at least be competing for the top 6, but at the very worst be sitting 7th comfortably. Year on year we are making NO PROGRESS. The team has leaked important goals at the back, we seem to let certain players go then not replace them with anything better and we also lack the ability to hit any kind of consistent form.

In saying all this, the BoD's have to take any punches that are aimed at them squarely on the chin, as the writing has been on the wall for a significant period and they have stuck their collective heads in the sand and hoped that the storm would pass over......................... (sorry, probably far too many idioms). Sorry this storm isn't passing over and their reticence to act when to a huge proportion of our fans the Manager is not getting the best out of the resources, means that they, probably more so than DL, should shoulder the main part of the blame as to why we are sitting 2nd bottom. thumbdown.gif

I predict nothing will happen on the Managerial front until the end of the season, .................... I only pray that it won't be too late. Sweaty roller-coaster ride coming up,.............. anyone got the sick bucket?

If what Billyg wrote is true and I have no doubt it is it will be the new owners who pick any new manager. If the deal for a take over hangs on Saints retaining top league status then I would think Danny has the next three games to come up with results. Just my view

Does anyone think that a severe mauling next weekend will see the axe fall on Lennon or is that result taken as read, given his record against Celtic ? I believe only his resignation will see him leave before the end of the season, but he is on such a salary that he will never again get the chance to manage, so will try and see it through. This is madness of course, as we will likely be relegated, but the utter misery of top flight football is hardly worth it in my view. I have now come to the conclusion that is what is being sought by those in charge. How could it be any other way when they have steadfastly refused to get rid of the worst manager in the country for the last three years. No other club would have put up with the kind of results we have had to, and I include those in the bottom division.We just seem to be biding our time in the SPL until luck runs out, and it has only been luck that has saved us the last few times.

The number of fans who have just stopped going is growing weekly, this is pretty obvious and would under normal circumstances force a board to act. Not this current junta though. Fingers are crossed tightly in the hope a miracle happens and we somehow survive. So be it then.They have brought it on themselves.

Ever contemplated that Danny might be offered a new contract should we stay up or go down? The BOD will make no comment until the end of season but I would not rule out Danny staying, not based on solely the top team but more so on what is happening with youth development and bringing through the next batch of young players. I understand we have some cracking talent coming through and feel the club are progressing this way in the only way possible as money is no longer there to buy in the strength we need in certain positions plus keeping the club in the black as much as possible. We are struggling but sacking the manager may recoil on us - look at Butchers impact on His, hardly productive. What I would like is for some of the key players coming out with a rallying cry and support for Danny.

Remember that Lennon came in his 1st season and kept us up, yet this was not deemed good enough by many fans, who wanted progression.

er, but the reason we got rid of the previous manager was because the fans were demainding progression!

Danny Lennon inherited a club which had just finished in its highest league position in 2 decades, had just reached its first major cup final in 23 years, had just recorded its biggest ever defeat on Celtic in over 100 years and which had no debt a brand new training facilities.

If the mere objective was to keep us up then what was the point in getting shot of Gus?

The hypocracy, backtracking and re-writing of history on this forum is breathtaking!

The manager of the club has absolutely no involvement with the youth system at St. Mirren - and quite rightly so.

And the record of youth players reaching the first team has been diabolical over the years!

The words youth development means it takes time so an instant fix is not there. Few clubs bring through talented youngsters but those that do like us and Killie are demonstrating this is the only way forward. As for your statement that Dannyis not involved in youth development, then that is not true. I have a good contact within the club who would refute your claim.

Ever contemplated that Danny might be offered a new contract should we stay up or go down? The BOD will make no comment until the end of season but I would not rule out Danny staying, not based on solely the top team but more so on what is happening with youth development and bringing through the next batch of young players. I understand we have some cracking talent coming through and feel the club are progressing this way in the only way possible as money is no longer there to buy in the strength we need in certain positions plus keeping the club in the black as much as possible. We are struggling but sacking the manager may recoil on us - look at Butchers impact on His, hardly productive. What I would like is for some of the key players coming out with a rallying cry and support for Danny.

There's stories unrest behind the scenes with the key players

On the youth angle i'm sure one poster who is in the know said that none of the U20's would be getting kept on.

I gather he meant the players who would be over age when the season finishes but i think they are sitting at the bottom of the league?

I don't buy DL is a goner already,it makes no sense

If he has a strong finish and we end up 10th or above that would be his remit reached

Oh FFS here we go again. Jesus, let's keep him then. Who cares. Not the BOD anyway. Best thing to do is just assume the worst - sometime in May we play (Falkirk) and lose - just picture the scene at Greenhill when that wee guy/big guy who plays up front for whoever it is breaks away and scores after 89 minutes, the deathly silence over the stadium. No doubt it will be built up to be a big day out, like a cup final of sorts, with old dears and kiddies coming out to rally round the troops, black, white and red balloons aplenty, silly top hats and foam fingers agogo. But as per usual the boys will contrive a horrendous end to the match. Anyway back to my point, just mentally ready yourselves for life in 'The Championship' (wtf by the way) next season. It will probably be better anyway. We might even win some games and we will get some decent games against the Rangers, the Hearts, and can renew old rivalries with the Pars etc. No stress. Embrace the disaster unfolding before us courtesy of Messrs Gilmour, Lennon, Goodwin, Thommohawk et al. It's all good. Plus we can enjoy the World Cup in the summer. COYS.

Yes. And im sure they will once Owen keeps us in the league after the season ends.

Keeps us up and it might put him in the frame for a say Leeds job that will prob become available for him in the summer.

er, but the reason we got rid of the previous manager was because the fans were demainding progression!

Danny Lennon inherited a club which had just finished in its highest league position in 2 decades (and went two better, beating that league position), had just reached its first major cup final in 23 years(Lennon went one better here, and won us our first major trophy in 26 years), had just recorded its biggest ever defeat on Celtic in over 100 years and which had no debt a brand new training facilities.

If the mere objective was to keep us up then what was the point in getting shot of Gus?

The hypocracy, backtracking and re-writing of history on this forum is breathtaking!

Based merely on what you've posted, Lennon has progressed the club, from the reign of McPherson which had created a couple of milestones itself.

This isn't me saying he should stay, but stating he has done a better job than he is given credit for. He tangible improved on Gus - job done on that front.

He tangible improved on Gus - job done on that front.

I'm not really convinced there is a great deal of difference in their records (11th, 10th, 11th, 10th) vs. (11th, 8th, 11th, 11th) in the league.

Both took the team to 1 League Cup Final. Macpherson's team lost 1-0 to the team that won the SPL that year, Lennon's team beat a Hearts team who finished 10th in the SPL.

In my opinion the year we finished 8th, we played as well in the SPL as I've ever seen us play, and winning the League Cup final was great.

But over the course of the 4 years, and with all the advantages Lennon has had (training ground, Teale, Thompson) I don't see how you can say Lennon's significantly improved the team since he took over from McPherson.

What baffles me about all this superficial unrest is that the one thing DL was initially being praised for

- was his team served up better football than the Sainted Gus. smile.png

And eventually I came to agree. The quality of football was a bit more entertaining.

Even Saturday's result - tho ultimately a boot in the boz - came after sparkling, goal-scoring, entertaining fitba.

Compare that to Gus's fitba and the paucity of goals/good results when I was a very miserable bunny. DL came along, the fitba was more attractive, and a couple of splashes of colour were added to the grey, Greenhill mausoleum.

I still hadn't seen a WIN there, though... till the Killie match. THAT should sustain me for a while.

Do you not all recall when you were bleating about, "I wouldn't mind getting beat so often if the team scored a few goals/played better fitba"?

Sometimes... I know, I know, this sounds silly... sometimes I think some fitba fans can be awfy picky with short memories... rolleyes.gif

Edited by bluto