St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 15/2/14

shull

The rules say that if the foul starts outside and continues inside them it's a penalty. On the line is also in the box so going by the above it's the direct decision.

Agree with the McGinn one also, it should have been given and would have put us 1-0 up.

A bit of inexperience from him, he should have got up screaming and shouting for it. He just looked a bit shell shocked after the tackle.

To be fair he did have a go at the ref but Murray was already running up the pitch.

There was also a challenge on Thommo in the box second half which i thought was a stronger case.

On their's no debate.

Wether outside or not,deserved to been given due to stupidity alone

Can't belive no-one's mentioned this yet (or I've Missed it !!) but in the first couple of minutes Shaughnessy clattered into McGinn with arms raised into his face. To his credit John went down, got himself together and got up and carried on as if nothing had happened. Just think, if it had been our "Ghost" that did it we'd have played nearly the full game with 10 men and the press would be all over it !!!!

To be fair he did have a go at the ref but Murray was already running up the pitch.

There was also a challenge on Thommo in the box second half which i thought was a stronger case.

On their's no debate.

Wether outside or not,deserved to been given due to stupidity alone

He only reacted after Thommo started complaining. Thought he could have bounced up screaming for it, sometimes refs are swayed with players reactions. Just felt at the time he didn't react like a player who had just been brought down in the box.

Should have been given regardless of where the ball ended up. A foul's a foul.

Can't belive no-one's mentioned this yet (or I've Missed it !!) but in the first couple of minutes Shaughnessy clattered into McGinn with arms raised into his face. To his credit John went down, got himself together and got up and carried on as if nothing had happened. Just think, if it had been our "Ghost" that did it we'd have played nearly the full game with 10 men and the press would be all over it !!!!

Too honest for our own good.

It looked a bad one at the time and the ref never gave anything for it.

Rooney got away with a sneaky one on the ghost.

The ghost was struggling for about 20 mins after it

He only reacted after Thommo started complaining. Thought he could have bounced up screaming for it, sometimes refs are swayed with players reactions. Just felt at the time he didn't react like a player who had just been brought down in the box.

Should have been given regardless of where the ball ended up. A foul's a foul.

You win some lose some, just ask the ghost. We simply don't carry a big enough threat up front.

I think it was an accidental clash, the kind of elbow in the face when players go for a high ball. I agree that had Goodwin been the culprit then I am sure the SPFL would have already added a highlight on their youtube channel and asked whether he should have seen red.

Maybe I had hospitality wine glass goggles on... but I thought we weren't that bad and managed to make a good Aberdeen side look positively ordinary. We deserved a draw.

Defence looked solid and Goodwin had a great game... booking was a travesty yet again.
McGinn was the best player on the pitch by the distance between the two teams respective home-towns!!!

Eric double D did the simple things really well and his passing was exceptional... always for a player to run onto. The stupid lunge for the foul outside the box that was interpreted as a penalty was due to tiredness... a match fit DD wouldn't do that.

Newton had a few poor crosses at the start but went on to have a decent game... though I really can't see the point in playing him ahead of Naismith... it didn't add to our play... but didn't detract either thankfully.

McLean looked hungry and made plenty good runs... but the passes never quite found him. I feel that is a role he will go on to make his own... reminds me so much of a young Billy Stark.

Gowser had two men on him at all times as McInnes had done his homework... I think Wylde could have made more use of that if he had concentrated on the game rather than petty one-upmanship with his former team-mates!!!

Campbell for McGowan I didn't mind... but it should have been a double substitution with Teale on for Wylde at the same time.

Not a disaster of a day due to other results... and not an awful game either. In isolation, I could accept today... but it did nothing to redress our awful form long-term!

Just watched some key bits back.

McGregor's goal, clearly offside - no idea why the linesman didn't just put his flag up as soon as it was clear he was going for the ball. As soon as he does, he's interfering with play. Why wait then?

Aberdeen's penalty - Pawlett clearly looking for if and sadly DD obliged. Borderline on whether it was inside the box or not, but I believe you are supposed to give any benefit to the attacking team, so understandable it was given.

Usual lack of consistency though, and if the ref had properly called the foul on McGinn in the box earlier in the half, Aberdeen's penalty would never have happened in the first place.

Clear penalty - thought so at the time, and the TV replays show it.

Why on earth is Andy Walker still getting paid to comment on football matches though. On Saints penalty he says "Looks like Logan didn't actually touch the ball at all, but the referee probably called it right."

Really Andy, player goes for ball in box, doesn't make it and takes out opponent instead... and NOT giving a penalty is the correct decision?

And we weren't even playing against Celtic!?!?

Hmmm. Lack of consistency? Quelle surprise!

Jim does intentional handball to gain advantage. Yellow card.

5 minutes later... a Don does intentional handball to gain advantage. No card.

Russell Anderson also committed 5 fouls during the game - didn't even merit a word or warning from the ref. Same as GMS last week - plus an outrageous dive.

Can you imagine Jim or DD committing 5 fouls in a game and still being on the pitch?

Russell Anderson also committed 5 fouls during the game - didn't even merit a word or warning from the ref. Same as GMS last week - plus an outrageous dive.

Can you imagine Jim or DD committing 5 fouls in a game and still being on the pitch?

Same with Nicky Low. Many deliberate fouls that gave aberdeen the advantage. When the referee booked him, it had been delayed for a long time. Had that been jim goodwin, I think the st mirren would have been playing with 10 men.

Also, how did DD not get sent off?

Strange one today, thought the shape wasn't bad, and Newton did ok at RB. McGinn is such a good young player, our best by a mile. Hope Magennis coming back in gives us something next week, as we just didn't look like scoring at all today. At least the other results went our way

Indeed.

I commented on that too.

Goodwin would have been spoken to after 2 fouls and booked after 3.

Murray is a shit referee and generally doesn't give us anything.

Haven't read any other posts on this thread so apologies if I am repeating anything other posters have said. Aberdeen were awful and deserved nothing from this game but hey ho they left paisley with 3 points which is the saddest thing. First half dreadful all round both teams, start of second thought we did show a bit of promise. I have gave newton stick in the last few weeks but thought he was one of our better ones today. Goodwin had a solid game Thommo won most headers but had nobody picking up second balls but apart from that I can't really compliment anyone else apart from McGinn. Was not one of his better games but he showed a great deal of fight compared to the rest of the team and to be fair to the lad when he had possession nobody showed for him apart from McLean in first half where he should have put him through. We are far too soft pushed off the ball constantly the moment that summed this game and the whole season up for me was in injury time a 50/50 in the air and McLean would not even go in for the challenge might be a bit harsh on the lad as he worked hard today. I don't know where we go from here but I think changes are needed all round team and management. Have absolutely no idea what djemba djemba was doing at penalty for a guy that has played at highest level it was a ridiculous tackle.

Fairly typical display, a lot poorer than we would have hoped for, but we didn't do any worse than Aberdeen on the day and I don't think we deserved to come away with no points and the Dons didn't deserve 3 points. That's just our fate at the moment.

Dj-Dj was guilty of a needless and ridiculously risky challenge. Penalty or not, the jury is out on his status as hero or villain.

DL is still a rabbit in the headlights. Clueless and tactically naive. With every game that passes it is becoming clearer that we won the League Cup last season despite him rather than because of him. A lucky, timely signing of Isma Gonzalves got us through the semi and the final. His other signings have been bawz.

Let's hope we don't get relegated before he leaves in May.

Haven't read any other posts on this thread so apologies if I am repeating anything other posters have said. Aberdeen were awful and deserved nothing from this game but hey ho they left paisley with 3 points which is the saddest thing. First half dreadful all round both teams, start of second thought we did show a bit of promise. I have gave newton stick in the last few weeks but thought he was one of our better ones today. Goodwin had a solid game Thommo won most headers but had nobody picking up second balls but apart from that I can't really compliment anyone else apart from McGinn. Was not one of his better games but he showed a great deal of fight compared to the rest of the team and to be fair to the lad when he had possession nobody showed for him apart from McLean in first half where he should have put him through. We are far too soft pushed off the ball constantly the moment that summed this game and the whole season up for me was in injury time a 50/50 in the air and McLean would not even go in for the challenge might be a bit harsh on the lad as he worked hard today. I don't know where we go from here but I think changes are needed all round team and management. Have absolutely no idea what djemba djemba was doing at penalty for a guy that has played at highest level it was a ridiculous tackle.

Are you a daily record reporter?

That is about as accurate as one of their fictional match reports by a ghost writer who wasn't at the game!

Not one of McGinns better games?

Move over Kevin Bridges... a new comedian is in town!

That is about as accurate as one of their fictional match reports by a ghost writer who wasn't at the game!

i don't understand why people like you hiding behind a keyboard can't just either agree or disagree without having to have a dig at the poster If you read my post I said more positives about mcginn who is by far my favourite player at the club

John is class act, but sometimes, like Gowser, he is guilty of slowing things down. At times today, this was an issue.

John is class act, but sometimes, like Gowser, he is guilty of slowing things down. At times today, this was an issue.

Agreed but Thompson was isolated and I think there were times where McGinn hung on to the ball hoping more St mirren players would break forward and give him another option and some support, and all that usually happened was Aberdeen got players back in numbers and crowded him out.

I just thought he got caught in possession 3 or 4 times which is unusual for the lad but if we had 11 John McGinn's in the team I guarantee we would not have lost today

He is a great young player but does get caught on then ball like you said.

I commented in this thread during the game that he's a bit of a one trick pony with the way he turns on the ball. Aberdeen caught onto this and should have scored a second when Rooney was 1 on 1 with Kello, had he squared it we would have been 2 down.

He played some great passes today though with both feet. Definitely a star in the making. Still learning and will get better.

Edited by davidg

Fairly typical display, a lot poorer than we would have hoped for, but we didn't do any worse than Aberdeen on the day and I don't think we deserved to come away with no points and the Dons didn't deserve 3 points. That's just our fate at the moment.

Dj-Dj was guilty of a needless and ridiculously risky challenge. Penalty or not, the jury is out on his status as hero or villain.

DL is still a rabbit in the headlights. Clueless and tactically naive. With every game that passes it is becoming clearer that we won the League Cup last season despite him rather than because of him. A lucky, timely signing of Isma Gonzalves got us through the semi and the final. His other signings have been bawz.

Let's hope we don't get relegated before he leaves in May.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^ a spot on post

I'm sure the BoD are sitting , shittin themselves thinking the same, as are at least a significant majority of the rump of our support. It is indeed bawz

Mcginn is the best player we have and we should be building our midfield around him. Yet again today though I thought we were flat and the body language of the players once Aberdeen scored the penalty said it all for me. Worryingly there is a lack of dig/effort and we don't really look up for the fight. We just need to hope we can somehow turn it round as this year there is no Goncalves cloud9.gif to save our season.

Mcginn is the best player we have and we should be building our midfield around him. Yet again today though I thought we were flat and the body language of the players once Aberdeen scored the penalty said it all for me. Worryingly there is a lack of dig/effort and we don't really look up for the fight. We just need to hope we can somehow turn it round as this year there is no Goncalves cloud9.gif to save our season.

After the goal we played better/more direct than in the previous 70 odd minutes? blink.png