St Mirren V Aberdeen Top League 15/2/14

shull

The original discussion about this began with someone saying we have a great squad with lots of players who could walk straight into any side in the top 6 outside Celtic. So far out of our great squad the highest number of players that anyone has proposed getting a regular game in a top 6 club is 5 of our squad of 20+ players. I'm not saying McGinn isn't good enough to play for Aberdeen, I actually think that over time if he keeps on improving he could become a full internationalist, and be good enough for the EPL, what I am saying, for now, is if McGinn (or McLean or McGowan) could 'walk straight into' the Aberdeen team then who would McInnes drop from his midfield to make way for him, eg would he drop Barry Robson, Willo Flood, Niall McGinn?

The general drift of my postings is, if the highest number of 'top 6 quality players' we have is reckoned to be 5 (at most) and that doesn't even equal half a starting XI and the rest are average bottom 6 SPL quality type players why are people outraged that we sit in 9th place and convinced almost any other manager other than Danny Lennon could get our amazing squad into contention for a top 6 place.

At the minute McGinn hasn't been selected for Scotland U21 squad, and when McLean is selected he is usually a sub rather than in the starting XI. This suggests to me that while they are good enough to play in the top 6, some other managers also have good young players in their teams of a similar standard or better.

The only reason McGinn isn't selected for U/21 is that he plays for unfashionable St Mirren.

I mean Lewis McLeod who i saw playing for U/21s and was by far the worst player on show.

Only picked to please or find favour with the Sevco fans

I think if he played for the old firm he would be getting touted for the main Scotland squad the same way they tried to tout Gauld from Dungdee Utd.

I actually think if McGinn played for either of the old firm he would be in the under 21 team

The only reason McGinn isn't selected for U/21 is that he plays for unfashionable St Mirren.

I mean Lewis McLeod who i saw playing for U/21s and was by far the worst player on show.

Only picked to please or find favour with the Sevco fans

100% spot on chaps.

The fact McGinn is not in the U21s as the first name on the team sheet is totally ridiculous.

Don't want to sound paranoid, but I can't see beyond it being because of who he plays for.

Maybe Stark is getting revenge on all those North Bank helments who thought he was rubbish and lazy. ***

*** Interestingly, none of those people seem to exist any more.

100% spot on chaps.

The fact McGinn is not in the U21s as the first name on the team sheet is totally ridiculous.

Don't want to sound paranoid, but I can't see beyond it being because of who he plays for.

Maybe Stark is getting revenge on all those North Bank helments who thought he was rubbish and lazy. ***

*** Interestingly, none of those people seem to exist any more.

Yes they do... they spent six months saying the very same things about McLean!!!

On McGinn and the Scotland U21s... being a St Mirren player doesn't seem to have held back McLean from being selected for a few seasons.

On the contrary, I'd say given his performances and how long he's been a member of the first team squad, I'd say he's had very few appearances - certainly in relation to players playing at a much lower level.

I'm sure even Falkirk have had more U21 caps than we have over the last 2 years, and when you consider more than a year ago McGinn outplayed £12m superstar Wanyama in a national final, he especially seems to have been unfairly overlooked.

On the contrary, I'd say given his performances and how long he's been a member of the first team squad, I'd say he's had very few appearances - certainly in relation to players playing at a much lower level.

I'm sure even Falkirk have had more U21 caps than we have over the last 2 years, and when you consider more than a year ago McGinn outplayed £12m superstar Wanyama in a national final, he especially seems to have been unfairly overlooked.

TBH Wanyama was over rated and over priced & that was one game.

He's disappeared in the EPL for Southampton.

Although I agree he was over-rated, he was virtually ever-present in the Southampton first team until he fractured his leg early December and has now just returned from injury.

My kids live down there and Southampton fans have been fairly impressed with him so far.

Back to McGinn, I think he's a very good player but we have to remember he wasn't getting a game for us earlier in the season (no matter what the reason) and missed out on a couple of squads at that time.

Kello walking straight into the starting XI ahead of Langfield is definitely a no brainer, but other than that I am toiling to see how the 4 others you mention are superior to Aberdeen's starting XI.

Who would McInnes drop from central defence to make way for Darren McGregor.would that be Russell Andreson, Andrew Considine or Mark Reynolds? Not convinced McGregor is obviously better than any of those 3.

In midfield Aberdeen usually have Barry Robson, Willo Flood, Johnny Hayes, Nial McGinn, Peter Pawlett to choose from... would John McGinn and Kenny McLean really walk into the starting XI displacing 2 from that selection?

I could just about see a case for Thompson having a place on the bench at Aberdeen and being brought on when Aberdeen were chasing a game but doubt he would get a starting slot ahead of Adam Rooney.

Kello? maybe, but he is prone to the odd mistake and would be a toss-up with Langfield

McGinn-I think any Premiership team would have him and he'd be a better player with the rest of the Aberdeen mid to work with

none of our defenders would currently get a game at Aberdeen, maybe Naismith with another season under his belt

Not to be pedantic, whistling.gif , but when did McGinn play in any final against Wanyama?