It's Raining In The South West Of England

Kendo

It's been chucking it down for weeks and has resulted in terrible flooding and heartache for hundreds if not thousands of families. The thing I don't get is why do people blame the government. Yes I know that it is a Tory Government but are they to blame for global warming?

It's been chucking it down for weeks and has resulted in terrible flooding and heartache for hundreds if not thousands of families. The thing I don't get is why do people blame the government. Yes I know that it is a Tory Government but are they to blame for global warming?

They could arguably be blamed for having failed to respond appropriately to concerns expressed by local people and in expert reports indicating that such flooding was likely unless remedial work such as the dredging of rivers was undertaken.

I blame Danny Lennon, surely has to be his fault?

They could arguably be blamed for having failed to respond appropriately to concerns expressed by local people and in expert reports indicating that such flooding was likely unless remedial work such as the dredging of rivers was undertaken.

There is a lot of finger pointing going on down there right now, but the fact remains global warming is the cause, no amount of dredging would have prevented this.

I don't know about that . But , certainly , I'm warming to the idea. .

kkpazUM.gif

There is a lot of finger pointing going on down there right now, but the fact remains global warming is the cause, no amount of dredging would have prevented this.

I'm no expert, and have to assume you are better informed (and also better informed by those who have claimed it could have mitigated against the worst of the flooding to some degree).

I agree to an extent but global warming itself is a symptom not a cause.

The cause of global warming is not 100% certain and whilst dredging MAY have helped until the root cause is completely nailed and solutions (if implemented immediately) begin to take effect we'll see more of this before it dies down.

This is beginning to be the big issue of this generation.

I'm far from convinced that we have the ability to fix this as a species.

It needs money and science to do this.

In the meantime those who can't help on the science front need to focus on stuff like dredging, building barriers and preventing twat councils from allowing people to build houses on coastlines, floodplains and next to rivers.

It's a right mess and it must be a nightmare for those affected.

Whatever the cause is, it's an utterly horrendous situation to be part of.

As I was viewing the clips of the flooding on the BBC website, I really, really felt for the people whose houses haven't just been subjected to an intermittent flooding of their property, but to a long term situation of being submerged with no end in sight.

Some of these people have been out of their houses for weeks now. Imagine trying to balance your life around this type of situation.

Some of the aerial footage, showing the extent of the flooding particularly in the conurbations on the Thames, is frightening.

It must be soul destroying seeing the weather forecast predicting yet more rain and knowing that it could be weeks before the flooding subsides.

It's a natural reaction. Look at what happened in New Orleans when it was struck by a Category 5 hurricane - Katrina. New Orleans is regularly hit by hurricanes as in the majority of the American Atlantic Coast. Indeed Louisiana was hit by 49 of the 273 hurricanes that made landfall in the US between 1851 and 2004. Anyone living in that area knows that hurricanes are going to hit them and that they are likely to have their lives disrupted. New Orleans is also particularly vulnerable to flooding. It's six feet below sea level and has been flooded loads of times throughout history. Successive governments have even spent large sums of money on all sorts of engineering projects to boost flood defences. Yet when catastrophe struck and Katrina hit it was George Bush's US Government that took all the flack.

If you look at the Thames London has always been susceptible to flooding. In 1928 14 people died when the Thames flooded, in 1953 307 people died when the North Sea flooded and to counter that £534m of UK taxpayers money was spent in 1974 erecting the Thames flood barrier, with a further £100m spent on river defences - that's more than £1.5Bn in total in todays money - yet despite that both current and previous governments are accused of not doing enough by frustrated residents who have been flooded. Tonight on the radio they are running repeat reports from Lamberth and from Battersea where various individuals say it's all the governments fault.

You can't blame people for lashing out. After all it's easy to blame anyone but themselves. Perhaps I'm a bit unique but my Dad had it drummed into me from an early age that you should always buy a house on higher ground. I would have thought that most people who could afford the choice would do much the same.

You can't blame people for lashing out. After all it's easy to blame anyone but themselves. Perhaps I'm a bit unique but my Dad had it drummed into me from an early age that you should always buy a house on higher ground. I would have thought that most people who could afford the choice would do much the same.

It does raise a reasonable question about why anyone would ever buy a house on the coast or in a low lying area near a river.

It would be interesting to know whether people knowingly take the risk and if so why?

Maybe house ownwership so ingrained in our brains as being tied up with our feelings of self worth that we'll take any risk whatsoever to get on the housing ladder?

Has it really come to this?

Mind you, people will pay out £250k on a house which they've bought from a drawing because it's not even been built yet so maybe this is the issue.

Anyway - if it IS a ladder then it's a weird ladder where the rungs get further apart as prices increase.

Having said ALL of that though it's worth pointing out that this is affecting areas other than riversides and coasts.