Rugby Player's Insult To Tartan Army

bobbythepink

I'm not sure what the rugby player is claiming here. I was at the Scotland v South Africa match at Murrayfield recently and it was just as shite, just as twee and just as cringe inducing as watching a Scotland international match build up. Both are definitely second class citizens when it comes to the kind of pre match offerings you get at your average English Premiership match.

Both Murrayfield and Hampden - in recent years - have had nothing at all outside the ground to entertain fans. Back in the days of the Claymores at Hampden Park, Lesser Hampden would be open and bands would be playing on a stage and there would be all manner of entertainment all around the stadium but all of that has been sadly lacking when the football authorities are involved in the match planning. These days your Scottish Football International Experience tends to be that of some shite pipe band marching, under strength, around the pitch, followed by some low rent pop person - like Nicholas or Amy McDonald or that f**king twat from the Corries - attempting to lead the crowd in some pish rendition of the Flower of Scotland which in itself is a god awful song. Then there's the f**king DJ who talks too much, is too boring and who appears to have no variety to his record collection beyond the standard 5 or 6 tracks he'll play to try and get the support going and that stupid obsession they've got with those shite inflatable figures and the firework display in the daylight when it's effect is completely negated.

At Murrayfield they show they haven't learned from footballs mistakes. The Red Hot Chilli Pipers, Grant Stott, and the same pointless fireworks also fired in daylight shows just how low rent the whole f**king thing is. However the sticking of the piper on the roof at Murrayfield would be seen as superb if they'd had the foresight to make the piper target practice for the guys firing the gun.

The support at both sports is generally full of the same kind of people. 90 minute Neo Nationalists who are polite and friendly to everyone so long as they aren't English and they don't have a national anthem that sounds anything like God Save the Queen.

Long gone are the days of the 70's & 80's at saints, of Sir. Alex Ferguson and top drawer players who were competing towards the top of the league and playing in Europe... but we're all here.

Are St. Mirren just like orange walks?

I'll probably regret asking this but why might St.Mirren be like an Orange walk? St.Mirren are black and white and Orange walks are orange or quite often red, white and blue. Orange parades or demonstrations (i'm just showing off my superior knowledge) take place between Easter and the end of August apart from other times when you want to wind up Republicans. St. Mirren play between late July and the season is usually over about the end of March or early April. This season our season is nearly over already if we can scrape a couple more wins in the next few weeks. So, at the risk of repeating myself, are St.Mirren anything like an Orange walk?

Thanks for the clarification. I clearly wasn't sufficiently well educated to appreciate what Mather was getting at !!oops.gif

(but I can spell "well" )

Blimey. Mr Chippy.

I was talking about one poster who somehow managed to squeeze in comments about the orange walk into a conversation totally unrelated to the subject.

You don't find that at rugby matches.

There was another brainless comment as well which I can be arsed going back and looking at. Something about foreigners I think.

ETA: Sadly the ability to spell doesn't make you intelligent.

See bluto's posts on the referendum thread for proof.

Edited by oaksoft

Surely the pre-match build-up at Murrayfield is the only good thing about the day. The team are utter shite, can't score a point, never mind score a try, or win a game.

The team is shite and the pitch is shite, infested with wee parasite worms.

Slagging the pre-match entertainment is a bit rich.

That's not a nice thing to say about the English.whistling.gif

I'll probably regret asking this but why might St.Mirren be like an Orange walk? St.Mirren are black and white and Orange walks are orange or quite often red, white and blue. Orange parades or demonstrations (i'm just showing off my superior knowledge) take place between Easter and the end of August apart from other times when you want to wind up Republicans. St. Mirren play between late July and the season is usually over about the end of March or early April. This season our season is nearly over already if we can scrape a couple more wins in the next few weeks. So, at the risk of repeating myself, are St.Mirren anything like an Orange walk?

My interpretation of the simile is that the top time for both has passed.

No more pomp, glory, importance or relevance. Both are archaic: they and their supporters may well go through the motions but society, in the main, hardly notices...?

Surely the pre-match build-up at Murrayfield is the only good thing about the day. The team are utter shite, can't score a point, never mind score a try, or win a game.

The team is shite and the pitch is shite, infested with wee parasite worms.

Slagging the pre-match entertainment is a bit rich.

wee parasite worms laugh.png

Oh, there's openings all over the place for that

Scotland have not qualified for a football tournament since 1998 and in general terms are shìte at football, it seems to me the tartan army is just an excuse for a huge piss up in foreign countries since we have no ability to perform on the international stage., I am embarrassed when I see scottish fans steaming drunk wearing cu jimmy wigs.

To me its just like orange walks, just an excuse for a big piss up.

You've never been to a Scotland game have you? 1eye.gif

Sure the good old days of the 70's & 80's have long gone but the support, and they are real supporters, follow the team everywhere, no matter how the team are doing and even if they have a drink they still get tremendous welcome in almost every country. bye1.gif

PS Maybe too long down south has blurred your ability to see how to support the national team. lol.gif

Late 70s and early 80s I went to see Scotland regularly, I've been to wembley 4 times,

You would agree though that the fans don't go because we are a great team?

Is that a serious question? blink.png

Supporters are exactly what it says on the tin, they support the team, no matter what.

Sure the heady days, wait, I've already said that, but supporting a team is meant to be through the good and bad times.

I've had the BEST times at Scotland games, and the camaraderie is something to admire, even when we lose.

Maybe that's what makes the Tartan Army world famous, supporting the team.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? wink.png

Long gone are the days of the 70's & 80's at saints, of Sir. Alex Ferguson and top drawer players who were competing towards the top of the league and playing in Europe... but we're all here.

Are St. Mirren just like orange walks?

Murray Street's gone a bit quiet after that dressing down.

For what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly with FS on this.

Around the time of France 98, I got to a position where I had the means to follow Scotland (something I'd always wanted to do but could never afford). I went to the World Cup and then a couple of the qualifiers for Euro 2000 and was astonished by the quality of the Scotland support and humbled by the reception we received from locals.

Between 2000 and 2011 I went to every competitive Scotland away game and as many friendlies as my wallet/Missus would allow.

As you can imagine that period covered:-

The turgid late Broon era

The disastrous Berti era

The steady the ship Smith era

The hod on a minute are we good again McLeish era

The don't be daft naw we urnae Burley era; and

The get yersel tae phuk ya arrogant specky twat Levein era

So whilst this period of time never captured the magic of the 70s/80s, by recent standards it covered a pretty mixed bag in terms of team performance. The notion that I went just for the party is utter nonsense and in my opinion 95% of the Tartan Army would agree with that. I didn't really understand Murray Street's point in relation to that. If we only followed a successful team, St. Mirren Park would be empty every week.

As for behaviour of the TA, lets use me as an example. On my many trips I have been....

Sober

Drunk and behaving well

Drunk and behaving like a bit of a tit

I'd like to think that for the majority of the time I was firmly ensconsed in category 2. Again in my experience, so have 95% of the TA. Being drunk does not = being a fanny. Being a fanny = being a fanny.

From time to time you will witness these fannies on TA trips and it's fair to say, the bigger the crowd, the more fannies there's likely to be. In exactly the same way, if our beloved buddies ever qualify for Europe again, are people (Murray Street) seriously trying to suggest that there won't be any fannies present in our away support. Jimmy H will be there for sure. lol.gif

I gave up in 2011 through mental health issues. I basically didn't think it was mentally healthy that I wanted to murder Craig Levein after THAT game in Prague. If truth be told i think I was getting a wee bit old for it too.

But I still watch every Scotland game on telly, i still desperately want them to win and in the context of this thread, I'm still immensely proud of 95% of what I experienced on away trips. The other 5% is not to be discussed.

PS - Contrary to popular belief "Jimmy Hats" are very rarely seen on away trips. Glengarrys wi big stupit feathers aye, but Jimmy Hats seems to predominantly be the preserve of the home crowd.

Murray Street's gone a bit quiet after that dressing down.

For what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly with FS on this.

Around the time of France 98, I got to a position where I had the means to follow Scotland (something I'd always wanted to do but could never afford). I went to the World Cup and then a couple of the qualifiers for Euro 2000 and was astonished by the quality of the Scotland support and humbled by the reception we received from locals.

Between 2000 and 2011 I went to every competitive Scotland away game and as many friendlies as my wallet/Missus would allow.

As you can imagine that period covered:-

The turgid late Broon era

The disastrous Berti era

The steady the ship Smith era

The hod on a minute are we good again McLeish era

The don't be daft naw we urnae Burley era; and

The get yersel tae phuk ya arrogant specky twat Levein era

So whilst this period of time never captured the magic of the 70s/80s, by recent standards it covered a pretty mixed bag in terms of team performance. The notion that I went just for the party is utter nonsense and in my opinion 95% of the Tartan Army would agree with that. I didn't really understand Murray Street's point in relation to that. If we only followed a successful team, St. Mirren Park would be empty every week.

As for behaviour of the TA, lets use me as an example. On my many trips I have been....

Sober

Drunk and behaving well

Drunk and behaving like a bit of a tit

I'd like to think that for the majority of the time I was firmly ensconsed in category 2. Again in my experience, so have 95% of the TA. Being drunk does not = being a fanny. Being a fanny = being a fanny.

From time to time you will witness these fannies on TA trips and it's fair to say, the bigger the crowd, the more fannies there's likely to be. In exactly the same way, if our beloved buddies ever qualify for Europe again, are people (Murray Street) seriously trying to suggest that there won't be any fannies present in our away support. Jimmy H will be there for sure. lol.gif

I gave up in 2011 through mental health issues. I basically didn't think it was mentally healthy that I wanted to murder Craig Levein after THAT game in Prague. If truth be told i think I was getting a wee bit old for it too.

But I still watch every Scotland game on telly, i still desperately want them to win and in the context of this thread, I'm still immensely proud of 95% of what I experienced on away trips. The other 5% is not to be discussed.

PS - Contrary to popular belief "Jimmy Hats" are very rarely seen on away trips. Glengarrys wi big stupit feathers aye, but Jimmy Hats seems to predominantly be the preserve of the home crowd.

I would "like" this twice if i was allowed.

Very good post. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

No-one beats the pre-game build-up that preceeds the NFL games at Wembley. Huge fan rally in Trafalgar Square on the Saturday with live bands, cheerleaders, team appearances, big screens showing touchdowns by each team, merchandise stalls, food and drink outlets, exhibitions, full range of NFL gear in Niketown. Move onto gameday and a massive tailgate party outside Wembley. Fans in all 32 team jerseys having a great time. Inside the stadium there's been live sets from the likes of My Chemical Romance and Tinie Tempah, the national anthems and the teams introduced in a fanfare of smoke, fireworks, and Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' played at ear-splitting volume. 90,000 fans going crazy.

Three games this year, got my tickets, cannae' wait!