Power Cut

faraway saint

Well, at 5:30pm last night, Friday 14th, there was a massive thunder clap and almost immediately our electricity went off.

To start with it's a bit of a novelty, hunted out candles, very apt for Valentines day, rustled up a couple of rolls for tea and after about 90 minutes reality kicked in.

Temperature started to drop, boredom kicked in, managed to get a movie on the laptop, passed time till about 10pm.

Wasn't too cold during night, got up this morning, freezing.

I'm currently at daughters house, been on hold for 50 minutes to the Hydro.

Some poor operators going to get it, this is 15.5 hours and counting!

Freezer food could be getting dodgy and my daughter doesn't have Sky!!!!

Well, at 5:30pm last night, Friday 14th, there was a massive thunder clap and almost immediately our electricity went off.

To start with it's a bit of a novelty, hunted out candles, very apt for Valentines day, rustled up a couple of rolls for tea and after about 90 minutes reality kicked in.

Temperature started to drop, boredom kicked in, managed to get a movie on the laptop, passed time till about 10pm.

This reminds me of the petrol strikes as well which went the same way.

Within days people were starting to panic, supermarket shelves were empty and suddenly you become acutely aware how thin the veneer of our civilisation really is. We are all about a few days away from being in serious trouble when basic things like this are switched off suddenly.

During yesterday's wild weather, I saw the gully draining my driveway was blocked. I've had a flooded garage before. Damage AND mess.

The cold rain was pissin down. But there was nothing for it but...

Up to my ankles in the dirty cold water, then occasionally up to my oxters in it, too, hauling out silt and leaves, then plunging it and all the ways I could fathom to release the blockage, wet feet, jersey, trousers... I stopped for a pee and a cup of tea.

During that break, the levels started to fall. It was a great relief. I was chilled to the marrow, fingers hurting with the cold and knackered...

I'm in awe of the folk enduring house flooding and its unending cold and wet conditions. But at least they're not in Arbroath.

Edited by bluto

Update.....................

I waited on the phone for 50 minutes, as you can imagine, steam coming from my ears, young guy says "Can I help you" (English) I reply he could apologise for keeping me on the phone for 50 minutes....................3 seconds pause, back to the script, "Can I help you"................I explode!!!!

Fcuking brainless moron!!! Anyway, he checks, no record of my house having no power, "Have you checked the trip switch"........ I'm trying not to go into orbit....deep breath...."Yes, you idiot, next daft question".........(See constrained) He eventually says he'll send a report to the Dundee office.

I'm currently 17.5 hours, at daughters house, she's away for the weekend.

Apart from that, I'm having a great weekend, thanks for asking. ©

Update.....................

I waited on the phone for 50 minutes, as you can imagine, steam coming from my ears, young guy says "Can I help you" (English) I reply he could apologise for keeping me on the phone for 50 minutes....................3 seconds pause, back to the script, "Can I help you"................I explode!!!!

Fcuking brainless moron!!! Anyway, he checks, no record of my house having no power, "Have you checked the trip switch"........ I'm trying not to go into orbit....deep breath...."Yes, you idiot, next daft question".........(See constrained) He eventually says he'll send a report to the Dundee office.

I'm currently 17.5 hours, at daughters house, she's away for the weekend.

Apart from that, I'm having a great weekend, thanks for asking. ©

I've just called the Dundee office - you haven't paid your bill for 2 years! SEVCO sympathiser?

Edited by sally02

Stu, give me a break, I've been busy building an Ark this week, not sure if I'll manage to build a suitable windmill type thing.

Hmm, I considered doing the same but I decided that instead I would just save up my pennies and attempt to buy one of those nuclear powered submarine things when they get scrapped. Just think of internet access I could get to this forum with that toy......

oh thats a shame, lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Well done Faraway Saint, you are now getting a post apocalyptic taster of a windmill driven Independent Scotland. rolleyes.gif

Or more likely what it will be like when the oil runs out and we've done absolutely f**k all to replace it whilst every other country has sorted itself out - if Thicky Dicky gets his way.

Edited by oaksoft