Saints Away At The Dingwall Tramps.....

Has anyone managed to find any footage on BBC Alba or Sportscene of Conor Newton anywhere in shot for the build up to County's 2nd goal? The defence being posted all over the shop seemed to stem from Newton being nowhere to be seen when the ball was punted down his flank. Goodwin went to cover for him and everyone else seemed to get pulled out of position.

If I remember correctly from Saturday's game the second goal for them was a direct consequence of Newton not putting in a tackle near their penalty box and the County player then putting a pass down the wing leading to the goal.I could be wrong......surely not...whistling.gif

Watching late night Alba, I was frustrated to witness Newton trot behind Yoann Arquin as he foraged forward to have his badly-wide blooter at Saints almost open goal. (4.20ish in the Sideboard).

Arquin was driving: Newton ambled. TBF... perhaps he thought the Saints defender would stop Arquin - he didn't. Point is, Newton could have been closer and been available to then challenge for the breaking ball. He wasn't and, as Arquin continued powering towards goal, Newton just continued jogging.

No sense of urgency or commitment.

Saints had a near miss at that one.

And to think that a year ago, one of the posters on here (who sits behind DL's dugout) ranted about how he'd never seen him tackle, wasn't strong, committed and robust... and I disagreed with him.

Though I still like Newton going forward, (who wouldn't like a Hampden goal or two) I now know that poster was right, relatively speaking...

EDIT: to fix spelling of 'Arkan'... :rolleyes:

Edited by bluto

Watching late night Alba, I was frustrated to witness Newton trot behind Yoann Arquin as he foraged forward to have his badly-wide blooter at Saints almost open goal. (4.20ish in the Sideboard).

Arquin was driving: Newton ambled. TBF... perhaps he thought the Saints defender would stop Arquin - he didn't. Point is, Newton could have been closer and been available to then challenge for the breaking ball. He wasn't and, as Arquin continued powering towards goal, Newton just continued jogging.

No sense of urgency or commitment.

Saints had a near miss at that one.

And to think that a year ago, one of the posters on here (who sits behind DL's dugout) ranted about how he'd never seen him tackle, wasn't strong, committed and robust... and I disagreed with him.

Though I still like Newton going forward, (who wouldn't like a Hampden goal or two) I now know that poster was right, relatively speaking...

EDIT: to fix spelling of 'Arkan'... rolleyes.gif

Newton has been a liability for months, if it's true that we have to play him unless he's injured then we should send him back to Newcastle. I'd like to think we wouldn't sign up to something like that but that fact he's played every position going except the bench is strange.

Newton's best position is an attacking central midfielder, and DL has played him in at least another 2 positions i.e. wide right mid, and now Right back. It's ludicrous to think that out manager doesn't know where to play him in his best position. On Saturday we should have brought in Naismith and put Newton into attacking mid alongside McLean, and dropped Wylde

Has anyone managed to find any footage on BBC Alba or Sportscene of Conor Newton anywhere in shot for the build up to County's 2nd goal? The defence being posted all over the shop seemed to stem from Newton being nowhere to be seen when the ball was punted down his flank. Goodwin went to cover for him and everyone else seemed to get pulled out of position.

I don't think we can blame Newton, about 5 seconds before Goodwin is brushed off the ball he was attacking level with the County penalty spot.

We were caught out by a long ball into space and County players flooding forward at pace, something that we never do.

If anything Kelly shouldn't been drawn to the ball as much as he was, he should have allowed the shot at goal from the wider position and blocked off the runners. But at least he burst a gut to get back into that position.

Edited by davidg

Newton's best position is an attacking central midfielder, and DL has played him in at least another 2 positions i.e. wide right mid, and now Right back. It's ludicrous to think that out manager doesn't know where to play him in his best position. On Saturday we should have brought in Naismith and put Newton into attacking mid alongside McLean, and dropped Wylde

Isn't it the case that Newton was playing poorly in his "best" position?

This is often overlooked when this eternal "who should play where" debate arises.

I'm NOT saying Newton should be played at right back and IF there is some clause that he has to play, no matter what, then that’s a problem but to continually, and it is continual, to say this player and that player should be played everywhere really is missing the point that many of our players have periods of playing poorly.

Isn't it the case that Newton was playing poorly in his "best" position?

This is often overlooked when this eternal "who should play where" debate arises.

I'm NOT saying Newton should be played at right back and IF there is some clause that he has to play, no matter what, then that’s a problem but to continually, and it is continual, to say this player and that player should be played everywhere really is missing the point that many of our players have periods of playing poorly.

When Newton played well in his original position, he had Concalves and Thommo in front of him, but when playing poorly he had Thommo and a load of similar midfielders, like Gowser, McLean and McGinn around him, so at least one of those was played out of position and the midfield didn't gel

Newton has been a liability for months, if it's true that we have to play him unless he's injured then we should send him back to Newcastle. I'd like to think we wouldn't sign up to something like that but that fact he's played every position going except the bench is strange.

I don't think it can be otherwise Campbell would presumably also be getting picked for every game.

IIRC Newton signed a one-year extension to his contract at Newcastle last summer and at 22-y-o now I'd be very surprised if they still consider him a first team prospect. He should be bursting a gut to get the best possible deal for himself...............

Edit - I reckon a lot of the criticism he's received is harsh, he's been fairly poor of late but that applies to the bulk of the team.

Edited by Bud the Baker