Ian Ferguson

BAWZ

I was told on good authority on Saturday that Ian Ferguson has made it known to the BOD that he would be interested in the position of Manager, as and when it become open.

Anyone else heard similar?

Would it be a good move for us if it ever happened?

I was told on good authority on Saturday that Ian Ferguson has made it known to the BOD that he would be interested in the position of Manager, as and when it become open.

Anyone else heard similar?

Would it be a good move for us if it ever happened?

Heard this way back round about the time we were beaten at home by Thistle.

Is there any reason why we would regard this as a good appointment?

I have no idea what his management credentials are, but was wondering what other folk might know that would suggest Ferguson would do a better job than our current manager or the likes of Ian Murray etc.

From wikipedia, not exactly a great managerial background. Managerial career[edit] North Queensland Fury FC[edit]

On 15 September 2008, Ferguson was confirmed as the new manager of North Queensland FC leaving his post as assistant manager at Central Coast Mariners. He took up the post straight away in order to give the team the best preparation possible for their inaugural season in Australia's Hyundai A League.[1] Ferguson lasted only one year with the Fury, when the club folded due to financial instability.

Perth Glory FC[edit]

In 2010 Ferguson moved to become the assistant to David Mitchell at the Perth Glory at the end of the 2009-10 season[2] and becoming the coach on 12 October 2010 after David Mitchell resigned.[3] On 27 March 2012 he signed a two year contract extension with the club.[4]

Ferguson successfully guided Perth Glory to their first A-League Grand Final in April 2012, after beating Minor A-League Premiers Central Coast Mariners in a penalty shootout at the Mariner's home ground in Gosford. However they lost the subsequent Grand Final 2-1 following a late comeback from Brisbane Roar who were awarded a controversial injury time penalty.

Ferguson's contract was mutually terminated on 11 February 2013 as Perth Glory manager, after 5 straight losses and 6 hours of game time without a goal scored.

Northern Fury FC (NPL Queensland)[edit]

In 2013, Ferguson was announced as the Director of Football and Coaching at the Townsville NPL Queensland franchise Northern Fury FC[5]

Statistics[edit] As of 9 February 2013

Edited by irvine_buddie

Yeh, might even be as far back as when QOS pappped us out of the League Cup?

Edit. Just realised both games were in the same week.

I heard that it was happening right upto the 1 - 1 midweek game with Aberdeen, if we lost that night Mr L was apparently out the door.

Is there any reason why we would regard this as a good appointment?

I have no idea what his management credentials are, but was wondering what other folk might know that would suggest Ferguson would do a better job than our current manager or the likes of Ian Murray etc.

He did a very good job with Perth Glory down in Oz.

Why.  Wasn't Lennon an up and coming young manager, who was having success with Cowdenbeath.  

He had some success, but his second promotion was by default. Murray would be the best option of the up and coming mould. We've never had experienced, certainly not since Fergie and I've not looked prior to that enough to comment. Usually it's been a cheap option or a name from the club's past. There are very few past names around, doubt Stevie Clarke would come home and there'd be outcry if Spiers came in. What's Tommy Wilson doing? Archie has disappeared...heard he was once promised the job.

Maybe it is true Ian Ferguson intimated that he'd be interested in any possible opening, in which case I'd rule the cheeky bugger out right away. I'm not Danny's biggest fan at the moment, but it surely cannot be right for someone to tout themselves for a vacancy that currently doesn't exist, and there's a bloke in the hot seat who won a major trophy still trying to win football matches?

He had some success, but his second promotion was by default. Murray would be the best option of the up and coming mould. We've never had experienced, certainly not since Fergie and I've not looked prior to that enough to comment. Usually it's been a cheap option or a name from the club's past. There are very few past names around, doubt Stevie Clarke would come home and there'd be outcry if Spiers came in. What's Tommy Wilson doing? Archie has disappeared...heard he was once promised the job.

Danny Lennon won 2 succesive promotions, all Ian Murray has done is save Dumbarton from relegation and take them to midtable this year. Has the makings of a good manager but it would be a huge gamble to take him on the basis of that.

Danny Lennon won 2 succesive promotions, all Ian Murray has done is save Dumbarton from relegation and take them to midtable this year. Has the makings of a good manager but it would be a huge gamble to take him on the basis of that.

I agree, too early for Murray. Almost as ridiculous as asking Ian Ferguson to be manager.

To keep Dumbarton up, and then convert them into a mid-table 1st division side is a pretty impressive achievement. If he was to be the successor to Lennon when his time is up I'd be happy to move to a mid-table SPL team... no worries from relegation and flirting with the top 6.

To keep Dumbarton up, and then convert them into a mid-table 1st division side is a pretty impressive achievement. If he was to be the successor to Lennon when his time is up I'd be happy to move to a mid-table SPL team... no worries from relegation and flirting with the top 6.

It's a decent achievement but he's only been there for just over a year, it could be a fluke. Theres a big difference between division 1 and SPL anyway, he'd do well just to keep us up after making that jump never mind take us to top 6.