Ian Ferguson

BAWZ

that money was very poorly spent on players with reputations but who had no heart and had no ambition for st mirren

What players were these?

Robert Dawson and Keith Walker from Stirling Albion

Mark McWalter from Smokieland

Brian Martin from Hamilton

Mike Conroy from Clydebank

Billy Davies on a free from Elfsborg

What players were these?

Mike Conroy is such a Saint Mirren signing, up there with Eric Sinclair. Decent rep, people in the game thought a lot of them then they sign for us and just absolutely implode.

I did like Walker, McWalter, Davies and Martin.

What players were these?

All those players, with the exception of Martin, were signed while Ferguson was still at the club. The money was wasted in future years on the likes of Weir, Wishart, Manley, Stickroth etc.

All those players, with the exception of Martin, were signed while Ferguson was still at the club. The money was wasted in future years on the likes of Weir, Wishart, Manley, Stickroth etc.

The money may have been wasted but IMHO being able to watch Peter Weir and Tomas Stickroth was a once in a lifetime chance. Well twice in a lifetime in Peter weirs case lol Edited by Lethal89

fraser wishart-285,000 pounds, manley, McWalter was about 40 k, i remember

we signed the wrong davies brother, on a significant salary at the time

think the last of that money went on charnley and elliott

Funny how people's opinions differ. I thought Billy Davies was a great player for us and he ended moving to Leicester in the Championship (or whatever it was called then).

John Davies was a decent player and always seemed to have the upper hand in games that the two brothers played in, but he played for Clydebank, St Johnstone, Ayr United etc.

Think Charnley and Elliott came in as part of a deal which saw George Shaw and McWalter plus money heading the other way. What a move that was....

Ian Ferguson was one of the best signings St Mirren ever made in my lifetime. His performance in the semi final against Hearts won him a deserved MOTM.

Sure he left under a cloud, but that cloud had a silver lining of £850,000. I remember the games when he directed some abuse back at the NB, but how many of us can say that they would not do the same?

I would imagine following his transfer from Clyde to St Mirren his weekly wage would likely have been very low in comparison to other players in the 1st team like McGarvey and Fitzpatrick who had also been transfered out for significant fees.

His head was turned by the money on offer at Rangers. He was a huge fan of that club. How many of us would turn down the offer if increasing our weekly wage by a factor of 10 to play for the team we support?

Would we have treated Macca, McGarvey and Fitz the same way had the transfers been straight to Celtic rather than West Ham, Liverpool and Bristol City.

I actually think Fergie would have had a better career had he gone down south as Souness turned him into a destroyer rather than the creator that many of us felt he was gifted at.

I liked the interview he made at the end of the 1987 cup win register DVD where he asked us to stop booing him. That was when I decided to remember the good times he gave us in the short time he was with us.

I'd have him back as a manager. He certainly has experience and if he has a desire to one day manage some team up the road in Govan, then so be it.

We once had a relatively successful former bluenose manager called Ferguson.

I'd give him a chance.

The reason Ferguson recieved abuse from us was due to his last game for us

It was against Rangers at Ibrox and we all knew he was on his way there.

He never tried a leg and spent the whole game waving and clapping the home support who knew that he was soon to be going to be one of their players.

It was a bit galling to watch this while he was wearing our strip at the time.

He shouldn't have played that game and made himself unavailable as he had done so the weeks before.

One Saturday while we were getting pumped at Motherwell he was getting pictured going shopping with his sister.

If he never played that game i think the reaction would have been different

He never tried a leg and spent the whole game waving and clapping the home support who knew that he was soon to be going to be one of their players.

He shouldn't have played that game and made himself unavailable as he had done so the weeks before.

One Saturday while we were getting pumped at Motherwell he was getting pictured going shopping with his sister.

surely all this should be consigned to the history vault.

what is not in question is tgat we need someone to come aboard and haul our ass further up the league. If that man is Ferguson I would like to think we would all get behind him

Asda Linwood ?

surely all this should be consigned to the history vault.

what is not in question is tgat we need someone to come aboard and haul our ass further up the league. If that man is Ferguson I would like to think we would all get behind him

doesnt mean we cant learn from it. Someone who displayed this level of disrespect to our club (and he wasnt a kid, but a grown man of 23) would not be a good appointment

doesnt mean we cant learn from it. Someone who displayed this level of disrespect to our club (and he wasnt a kid, but a grown man of 23) would not be a good appointment

This.

If he was appointed and half as bad a run that Danny's had, then the football would be a sideshow compared to all the distractions of his 'Loyalty' (pun f**kin intended) being questioned with every team selection and formation.

Think Steve kean rapport with the Blackburn rovers fans.... that's what you'd be looking at a very poor decision to appoint.

Was he?

I thought he was 20 or 21 in 1988.

His nickname was BOB (Brain of Britain) at the club

That would explain his actions at the time.

I think he should be in our hall of fame given his part in the whole cup winning run

Not just the winning goal in the final which was his poorest performance but he was our best player in the other rounds

It is time to move on but i also don't think he should be our manager

Was he?

I thought he was 20 or 21 in 1988.

His nickname was D.O.B. at the club

That would explain his actions at the time.

I think he should be in our hall of fame given his part in the whole cup winning run

Not just the winning goal in the final which was his poorest performance but he was our best player in the other rounds

It is time to move on but i also don't think he should be our manager

according to wiki, he was 21, but i fixed that little acronym for you

Edited by beyond our ken

Is using the term DOB not classed as sectarian - thereby lowering ourselves to their standards.....just a thought.

Hall of Fame - indeed why not....although it could take years before we ever see his picture on HOF board in the stadium (eh Poz?)

attachicon.gifFergie.jpg

Manager - who knows - this decison will be up to the Consortium or future BoD's to decide.

He might actually be a good source of player contacts from his time down under - there might well be a few Aussie players who would take the chance to come to Scotland as a stepping stone to England.

DOB, date of birth. bangin.gifbangin.gifbangin.gif

He had some success, but his second promotion was by default. Murray would be the best option of the up and coming mould. We've never had experienced, certainly not since Fergie and I've not looked prior to that enough to comment. Usually it's been a cheap option or a name from the club's past. There are very few past names around, doubt Stevie Clarke would come home and there'd be outcry if Spiers came in. What's Tommy Wilson doing? Archie has disappeared...heard he was once promised the job.

Wilson is in the US. Academy Director at Philadelphia Union.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Mr Ferguson, your first issue as manager is to deal with our star player and cup final goal scorer. He has been nobbled by one of the OF and is refusing to play for our club until he gets the move to them that he so desperately wants. What are your thoughts on this?

Yes, but then the story was that he turned down Liverpool because Alex Miller promised him a move to Rangers when he signed from Clyde. Still a shit stirring tool.

The version I heard was that he was given a verbal agreement on a transfer to that dead parrot of a club when he first signed but when he signed a new improved deal the then management/BoD felt that the verbal agreement lapsed whereas the player didn't.

Look guys. I know things seem desperate but, REALLY?

What is the point in taking a punt on a punk, anb unknown quantity as far as management at this level, who openly professed his love for the now defunct animals of govan simply because he helped to win a trophy over a manager who openly professed his love for our club and won us a trophy?

We need to be sensible if we are to replace Danny.

Look guys. I know things seem desperate but, REALLY?

What is the point in taking a punt on a punk, anb unknown quantity as far as management at this level, who openly professed his love for the now defunct animals of govan simply because he helped to win a trophy over a manager who openly professed his love for our club and won us a trophy?

We need to be sensible if we are to replace Danny.

So what about the punk Danny who won us a cup?

I'm sure he is interested. There will be literally hundreds of managers in and out of work who will be interested in managing us.

We are a tremendous club for any manager to work at. We have no debt, our own stadium and our own state of the art training facility and are located in the central belt.

We will have our pick of many in the summer when Danny leaves. Right now I'd go for Iain Murray, what a tremendous job he has done with Dumbarton.