Saints V Kilmarnock. 1.3.14 Truly A "must Win" Game.

Magennis is no Suarez but I thought he was a breath of fresh air yesterday - pacey, direct and hungry for the ball. His touch ain't great (or his shooting!) but he will hopefully ease the weight of expectation from Thommo and add some competition for places (and he's definitely a better option than Reilly, for now...).

Also think the recent criticism of McGowan has been over the top - the guy has went a bit off the boil but we need to remember that he has largely been consistent (and started most games) for the last 2/3 seasons and given 100% - he's still a talented player and needs our support. He will come good.

McGowan needs to chip in with goals if he wants to play that role(prob on role he can play) can't just rely on thommo all the time he hasn't scored of late so we suffer.

Thommo knocked one down on a plate for him yesterday and he completely miss kicked it.

Wouldn't be sad to see him go at end of season as think we could do better with someone with more of a goal scoring threat up there

Great result yesterday. The team had a better balance with Magennis on the right and Newton in the centre. McLean was different class and Wylde brought something different when he came on but why does DL wait so long before making subs. Think we are a better team without Goodwin with the midfield trying to pass and play instead of lumping the ball up the park. Looking on the BBC website for the match stats it appears that we only committed 2 fouls which in itself says a lot about Goodwin not playing.

Thought the centre of defence looked quite solid although Killie were only playing 1 up. Both centre backs need to practice heading the ball.

Next 3 games will be hard but if we can get 2 points from them it should put us in a good position for the run in.

Edited by Perth Buddy

The first half in particular was woeful with passes going everywhere except where they were supposed to. Newton, the worst offender, has ample supplies of energy but really needs to slow down and learn composure. However, the team showed great determination and drive ending with a gutsy performance and victory. MacLean had perhaps on of his best ever games in a Saints jersey. He was attacking one moment and the next he suddenly appears back in defense winning the ball. Well done Kenny.

Can't disagree with the first part.

As for McGowan. Sometimes a player needs a "rest" when they're off the boil to allow them to refocus. I think it should have been done a wee while ago.I think fae

I think faraway saint and Elvis need a rest, as for oaksoft he can go with Danny Lennon.bye1.gif

First half the two teams were pretty poor, Last half hour of the 2nd half thought we done really well, Apart from being a bit shot shy, especially Gowser and Newton, Like most have said McLean was excellent the whole game, as were Cheesey and McGregor, Wylde made a big difference when he came on as he stretched a tiring Killie defence, Much needed result, Well done all,

You take yourself proper laugh out loud serious don't you? Do you get a wee uniform for policing the forum?

Haven't actually posted on here for years but it's good to see that the playground is still full of opinionated turds who think they own the place.

Cue comments about bums and doors etc

This has to be the worst comeback in the history of this forum.

I would applaud even a half-decent effort like Faraway Saint manages from time to time.

You on the other hand applied the Mo Camara of comebacks (are you smart enough to spot the combined metaphor and pun?).

Feel free to have another go when you think you can manage either clever or funny.

I'll even accept faintly amusing along the lines of perhaps something you'd hear in Dad's Army or the Vicar of Dibley.

BTW I have no idea what your comment regarding bums and doors is all about.

I'm assuming you are mentally deficient in some way but feel free to prove me wrong.

Edited by oaksoft

Great result yesterday. The team had a better balance with Magennis on the right and Newton in the centre. McLean was different class and Wylde brought something different when he came on but why does DL wait so long before making subs. Think we are a better team without Goodwin with the midfield trying to pass and play instead of lumping the ball up the park. Looking on the BBC website for the match stats it appears that we only committed 2 fouls which in itself says a lot about Goodwin not playing.

Thought the centre of defence looked quite solid although Killie were only playing 1 up. Both centre backs need to practice heading the ball.

Next 3 games will be hard but if we can get 2 points from them it should put us in a good position for the run in.

They don't always get the stats absolutely right, but I don't think it's far off that.

We DID though manage to get two players booked, and yet again it seems there's a real inconsistency in what's required to get a booking if you wear black and white.

The ref managed to have words of warnings on at least four occasions with Killie players, but don't think he ever bothered warning us - just went straight for the cards.

There was one really dangerous lunge just before HT which I thought was clearly going to be a card, and he didn't even speak to the player.

I accept that the kind of trip McLean did is 9 times out of 10 a yellow - even if it is deep in the opponents half, but at least twice Killie players did almost identical fouls. One on McGinn was a clear attempt to break up an attack, but McGinn stayed on his feet and the ref played advantage - then just had a word with the player at the next break in play.

Really pissed off that in a game where we were the cleanest team, and committed a tiny amount of fouls, our card count is still higher than the oppositions.

Edited by Bobby_F

They don't always get the stats absolutely right, but I don't think it's far off that.

We DID though manage to get two players booked, and yet again it seems there's a real inconsistency in what's required to get a booking if you wear black and white.

The ref managed to have words of warnings on at least four occasions with Killie players, but don't think he ever bothered warning us - just went straight for the cards.

There was one really dangerous lunge just before HT which I thought was clearly going to be a card, and he didn't even speak to the player.

I accept that the kind of trip McLean did is 9 times out of 10 a yellow - even if it is deep in the opponents half, but at least twice Killie players did almost identical fouls. One on McGinn was a clear attempt to break up an attack, but McGinn stayed on his feet and the ref played advantage - then just had a word with the player at the next break in play.

Really pissed off that in a game where we were the cleanest team, and committed a tiny amount of fouls, our card count is still higher than the oppositions.

I thought McLean was our only booking.

I thought Kenny McLean was fantastic yesterday. Had to take control of central midfield and he stepped up. More of the same till the end of the season please.

Good to see Newton's performance level on the up. Very good finish from him.

I noticed the website man of the match was given to Magennis, i can't quite beleive they managed to over look McLean, McAusland or McGregor for the award. I thought all three were terrific.

The only downside to the game was big Thommo being utterly annonymous again and i didn't think Naismith was too great either but hey ho! A good win.

I thought Kenny McLean was fantastic yesterday. Had to take control of central midfield and he stepped up. More of the same till the end of the season please.

Good to see Newton's performance level on the up. Very good finish from him.

I noticed the website man of the match was given to Magennis, i can't quite beleive they managed to over look McLean, McAusland or McGregor for the award. I thought all three were terrific.

The only downside to the game was big Thommo being utterly annonymous again and i didn't think Naismith was too great either but hey ho! A good win.

Thompson played a part in the build up to both goals.