The Board

I can't help feeling this whole season could have been handled a lot better. Let's look at where we're at just now. Manager doesn't know if he is coming or going and is managing a squad of players who don't know if they are being kept on after June. Now if the board tell Danny in two weeks he is leaving at the end of the season what impact will that have on him and the team. Also the players will be looking at where they are going to be playing next year and I'm certain will not want to get injured. It makes for a really bad situation for us. If Danny was doing well the board would have him signed up and that's it. If he was winning games then regardless of who took over then the board would have ring fenced the manager for doing well. This whole situation is terrible and the uncertainty is killing us. We have eleven games left and a manager who's in no mans land along with players who now will have one eye on their future. The players are not delivering and it's clear this needs sorted. For me the board should have taken action by now ! I see folk saying if we lose on sat then that will be it for Danny? Will it? This club is sleep walking to relegation and has been since July last year with the horrendous transfer window and riduculous cull of experienced players who were not replaced. It has been a torrid year but with eleven games left tell me who do you trust to get the team out of this mess and it is a mess a very sorry mess? Do you trust the board or Danny or the players themselves have they got what it takes. I'm hearing zero from anyone and the fact that gilmour is so quiet speaks volumes. I will finish with this ... If we go down we will run into rangers and of course a revived hearts . Now it's ok to say we will have good gates v them? Will we really? Sky are likely to pick them up for a 12-45 kick off on a Sunday when hospitality is harder to sell. Combine that with the fact we have poor gates at televised games and your losing already. For every rangers game there is a Cowdenbeath or Alloa bringing 150 fans each. The training ground needs financed and without the prize money in the top division will it still operate and to what level. The cut backs will be severe people will lose their jobs and the playing team will be young lads with three older heads. It's grim and Roy macgregor at county said he had to spend some cash to stay in the league as it's vital to avoid the drop. On New Year's Day they were I think 11 points behind us yet now look at them. If we go down then its a long long way back. Let's not go down and remember folks it is not too late to change this we have 11 games. We all kinda know what needs to happen but not with three games left!!!!

Edited by norrie82

Sorry Norrie but you are simply regurgitating what has been said on many other threads and countless posts within those threads. Everyone is fully aware of the situation and the long term ramifications but it is not going to change anything by continually talking about it on here. We are now at the precipice and as fans all we can really do is get behind the team to the best of our ability both at the game and any forums that we post on. I also hate the situation but as a club we have been here many times before and seen it through. Thats what comes with being St Mirren and its now time for all fans to stand up and be counted as personalities within the team come and go but the club will always remain. SMTID.

I can't help feeling this whole season could have been handled a lot better. Let's look at where we're at just now. Manager doesn't know if he is coming or going and is managing a squad of players who don't know if they are being kept on after June. Now if the board tell Danny in two weeks he is leaving at the end of the season what impact will that have on him and the team. Also the players will be looking at where they are going to be playing next year and I'm certain will not want to get injured. It makes for a really bad situation for us. If Danny was doing well the board would have him signed up and that's it. If he was winning games then regardless of who took over then the board would have ring fenced the manager for doing well. This whole situation is terrible and the uncertainty is killing us. We have eleven games left and a manager who's in no mans land along with players who now will have one eye on their future. The players are not delivering and it's clear this needs sorted. For me the board should have taken action by now ! I see folk saying if we lose on sat then that will be it for Danny? Will it? This club is sleep walking to relegation and has been since July last year with the horrendous transfer window and riduculous cull of experienced players who were not replaced. It has been a torrid year but with eleven games left tell me who do you trust to get the team out of this mess and it is a mess a very sorry mess? Do you trust the board or Danny or the players themselves have they got what it takes. I'm hearing zero from anyone and the fact that gilmour is so quiet speaks volumes. I will finish with this ... If we go down we will run into rangers and of course a revived hearts . Now it's ok to say we will have good gates v them? Will we really? Sky are likely to pick them up for a 12-45 kick off on a Sunday when hospitality is harder to sell. Combine that with the fact we have poor gates at televised games and your losing already. For every rangers game there is a Cowdenbeath or Alloa bringing 150 fans each. The training ground needs financed and without the prize money in the top division will it still operate and to what level. The cut backs will be severe people will lose their jobs and the playing team will be young lads with three older heads. It's grim and Roy macgregor at county said he had to spend some cash to stay in the league as it's vital to avoid the drop. On New Year's Day they were I think 11 points behind us yet now look at them. If we go down then its a long long way back. Let's not go down and remember folks it is not too late to change this we have 11 games. We all kinda know what needs to happen but not with three games left!!!!

Great Thread !

I cannae wait for the 2nd paragraph snore.gif

Edited by shull

Most of what Norrie has said has been all said before. We are ALL hurting because we ALL want the club to do better.

Saturday's game is huge and it is vital we all get behind the team and I'm certain the fans will.

Saturday could decide a few people's futures at the club. I hope we win and win big and go on the secure our status in the league, however the flip side of losing could well be the last straw for the BOD.

Sorry Norrie but you are simply regurgitating what has been said on many other threads and countless posts within those threads. Everyone is fully aware of the situation and the long term ramifications but it is not going to change anything by continually talking about it on here. We are now at the precipice and as fans all we can really do is get behind the team to the best of our ability both at the game and any forums that we post on. I also hate the situation but as a club we have been here many times before and seen it through. Thats what comes with being St Mirren and its now time for all fans to stand up and be counted as personalities within the team come and go but the club will always remain. SMTID.

Exactly , we've heard it from guys who care for the club , the fans , but we haven't heard anything from the guys who should care about the club but who strangely remain silent , although we're in freefall , the board. The same board/chairman who celebrated with the team on the bus last March , and in the pubs in the following days and the same board who advised us publicly not to condemn RFC to the 3rd division. Why the silence ?

t

Exactly , we've heard it from guys who care for the club , the fans , but we haven't heard anything from the guys who should care about the club but who strangely remain silent , although we're in freefall , the board. The same board/chairman who celebrated with the team on the bus last March , and in the pubs in the following days and the same board who advised us publicly not to condemn RFC to the 3rd division. Why the silence ?

they are too busy watching columbo and murder she wrote whilst keeping the heating down and eating custard creams

Remind me Did Roy McGregor sack his manager and have to start from scratch at the most volatile moment in the club's season?

Great post Norrie, great indeed. Yes what you said has of course been said before, many times but not always as well. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your well constructed and sensible point of view, aided no doubt by the fact that you have my full agreement, full agreement indeed.

I remain a worried man as I have been for much of my adult life owing to the support I give to this damnable but wonderful football club of our's. As I have said elsewhere I would like to see a real shake up at the club, one big throw of the dice whereby a message of intent is sent to player's and fan's alike with the allocation of some welcome gardening leave to our stressed out manager. A new broom to sweep clean, that new manager "bounce" to see us shake up our predictable style of play, play player's in the correct position's, make the player's earn the place in the first team and take this situation by the throat and banish all thought's of relegation within a few short weeks.

That is what I would like but here is what I expect. We continue with the same playing style of one heavily marked striker up front with a tried, tested and failed midfield combination struggling to provide ammunition for the heavily marked Thommohawk whilst wondering what player will be playing in what position this week. A strategy of "keep it tight at the back" whilst failing to score more than a few goals whilst cursing our continued bad luck as yet more defensive errors cost yet more points. After the match we return (facing tripping us) to our horseless carriages just in time to hear our Mr Lennon speaking in boring monotone and makng statements such as "we will work hard every day" and "if it wasnt for another defensive error then we wouldnt have lost that goal and maybe next time our one shot on goal might go in and we might not let a goal in and we might win a football match next week, except its away to Celtic so we probably wont next week but the week after and the players know what they have to do and I know what they have to do and we will try and do it".

We need a shake up as the fact is our current squad are a pretty decent bunch but we are hamstrung week in, week out by poor team selection and predictable and often bizarre tactics.

While it isn't my place to discuss the personal business affairs of others, this hasn't stopped me doing it in the past, so here goes.

I can't help but think that the consortium miscalculated when they opted not to accept Gordon Scott's offers for their shares.

I don't know what the background to the offer was, but it is hard to escape the conclusion that Gordon would have been a decent custodian, given his previous investment in the club (I'm referring to his time as much as anything else here). He is a St Mirren supporter, and it is abundantly clear that there are few people who could genuinely claim to support the club who are willing to take on the cost and responsiblity of running it.

The BoD openly told us they were tired and had pretty much run out of steam (and ideas) about 3 years ago. We've coasted along since, and, while they've remained a steady hand on the tiller, you have to fear that there is a lack of direction, and certainly of any dynamism.

I'm not suggesting a GLS-led buy-out would have been a fantastic option - as I say, I don't know the ins and outs - but you have to think that some of the alternatives are far from ideal, yet the longer this drags on, the worse it is for all involved.

Edited by Drew

While it isn't my place to discuss the personal business affairs of others, this hasn't stopped me doing it in the past, so here goes.

I can't help think that the consortium miscalculated when they opted not to accept Gordon Scott's offers for their shares.

I don't know what the background to the offer was, but it is hard to escape the conclusion that Gordon would have been a decent custodian, given his previous investment in the club (I'm referring to his time as much as anything else here). He is a St Mirren supporter, and it is abundantly clear that there are few people who could genuinely claim to support the club who are willing to take on the cost and responsiblity of running it.

The BoD openly told us they were tired and had pretty much run out of steam (and ideas) about 3 years ago. We've coasted along since, and, while they've remained a steady hand on the tiller, you have to fear that there is a lack of direction, and certainly of any dynamism.

I'm not suggesting a GLS-led buy-out would have been a fantastic option - as I say, I don't know the ins and outs - but you have to think that some of the alternatives are far from ideal, yet the longer this drags on, the worse it is for all involved.

Was it more the case they didn't want GLS running the club full stop?

Was it more the case they didn't want GLS running the club full stop?

I've heard various stories, but that is all they are, to be honest.

If they were so concerned about his influence on the club, why did they sit on the BoD with him for several years?

I had assumed it was mainly about money, but that could well be an ignorant and over-crude assumption on my part - wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by Drew

I'm jumping straight in at the deep end after reading the first/second line of OP.

The sale of the club has, IMO, been the priority of the current board for at least the last two seasons. The club has had no direction or investment because the current board want out, they've done a sterling job but enough is enough.

Unfortunately, there's nobody wanting to take on a lower top/ 1st division club. And who could blame them? It's not like the over inflated EPL where money keeps these clubs viable..... God help them if it goes tit's up.

We're probably going down and i can't help but think the current board, that saved us from extinction, are culpable.

I'm jumping straight in at the deep end after reading the first/second line of OP.

The sale of the club has, IMO, been the priority of the current board for at least the last two seasons. The club has had no direction or investment because the current board want out, they've done a sterling job but enough is enough.

Unfortunately, there's nobody wanting to take on a lower top/ 1st division club. And who could blame them? It's not like the over inflated EPL where money keeps these clubs viable..... God help them if it goes tit's up.

We're probably going down and i can't help but think the current board, that saved us from extinction, are culpable.

I'd rather have relegation than extinction. There's always a way back from relegation.

And to think some fans wanted statues built and stands named after these clowns!

Any St Mirren fan who doesn't have complete respect and gratitude to these guys who saved the club from extinction are either not aware of the facts or are completely ignorant and ungrateful.

The fact that these guys have no more money to put in, and after 15 years or so want to to take their money back and hand over the reigns to someone else isn't a crime. They also want to sell to someone who has the club's interests at heart, or who will do the right thing by the club, and these types of buyers aren't falling over themselves to buy us.

Again I will say, I'll take relegation every time rather than the fate that would have awaited us had the current chairman and directors not stepped in and kept us in existence.