Alan Pardew

Buffs

if we're going to make such comparisons, I watched a prog about dangerous drivers earlier. A driver gets from his car and punches a cyclist twice in the head. He was fined £600. Pardew has been fined £100000 by his club and thats before the FA get hold of him. Doesn't seem proportionate to me. He reacted stupidly in the heat of the moment, has admitted as much and will accept his punishment. He could not be more apologetic. The way some in the media are talking, he should be sharing a cell with Lee rigbys murderers or the yorkshire ripper.

The guy has form.

This is not the first time he has reacted violently and OTT.

"He could not be more apologetic"... Well, no... Because it's a sham role he has now played several times. Acted like a junior diddy player at the Racecourse, then has pleaded apologies and "I have learnt my lesson"... When he palpably hasn't.

So as Manager of a very public, top-ranking club, he really must be setting an example not rushing to the opposite extreme.

if we're going to make such comparisons, I watched a prog about dangerous drivers earlier. A driver gets from his car and punches a cyclist twice in the head. He was fined £600. Pardew has been fined £100000 by his club and thats before the FA get hold of him. Doesn't seem proportionate to me. He reacted stupidly in the heat of the moment, has admitted as much and will accept his punishment. He could not be more apologetic. The way some in the media are talking, he should be sharing a cell with Lee rigbys murderers or the yorkshire ripper.

The proportionate element comes from what they earn per week. This is probably 2 weeks wages for Pardew which, IIRC, is the maximum fine a club can impose on an employee

The proportionate element comes from what they earn per week. This is probably 2 weeks wages for Pardew which, IIRC, is the maximum fine a club can impose on an employee

I just think it's unfair to try and compare football with everyday life in the 'real world'. I agree that if you act in such an aggressive manner at work you'd expect the sack. Footballs an entertainment, and although wrong, pardews misdemeanour was entertaining. Look at ice hockey. Players are stuck into each other all the time. If footballers got sacked every time they assaulted an opponent we'd lose half the league. My comparison was one in which pardew made an aggressive gesture, but one which was never going to cause harm, compared to a motorist who landed a violent attack which could have left a cyclist dead or brain damaged.

I just think it's unfair to try and compare football with everyday life in the 'real world'. I agree that if you act in such an aggressive manner at work you'd expect the sack. Footballs an entertainment, and although wrong, pardews misdemeanour was entertaining. Look at ice hockey. Players are stuck into each other all the time. If footballers got sacked every time they assaulted an opponent we'd lose half the league. My comparison was one in which pardew made an aggressive gesture, but one which was never going to cause harm, compared to a motorist who landed a violent attack which could have left a cyclist dead or brain damaged.

I don't agree that the £100k fine is over the top. According to the BBC it's four weeks wages, which is the maximum fine a club can impose, not two weeks as I speculated. He has previous and I suspect that Newcastle United may well have toyed with the idea of sacking him to protect the clubs reputation - and eventually decided to stick by their manager issuing him with the maximum fine in the hope that their internal punishment might stave off some of what is coming from the FA.

You are the one wanting comparisons John so here's one....Last season at my kids team we had one player who was sent off in a match for calling an opponent a "wanker". We're talking about kids here - this one was aged 14 at the time. Everyone could hear it so there's no complaint, a bloody stupid sending off and his Dad gave him a massive dressing down never mind what the coaches said to him. The referee submitted his report to the league and the club received a summons for the boy to appear at a disciplinary hearing where he was given a three match ban and a £30 fine. His Dad tells me the boy gets £3 per week pocket money so in effect he was fined 10 weeks wages. Now in our case the club paid the fine - we had to - because if the fine wasn't paid the team would be debt suspended though the SFA and none of the other 18 boys in the squad would be able to play until the debt was cleared. Now is it proportionate or fair that a juvenile amateur football player be fined 10 weeks of his income for name calling, whilst a senior professional high profile football manager is only fined four for head butting an opponent?

Pardew did wrong and I see Freddy Shepherd saying that Pardew should get a minimum 10 match ban. I'll admit that sounds a bit over the top to me but then Pardew has previous. Maybe one day he'll learn from his mistakes.

I take your point SD with regard to the size of fines etc, but £100,000? A tenth of a million, for a rush of blood to the head. No pun intended. The comparison i made was only because others were comparing the Pardew situation with the "If i did that at my work i'd be sacked" scenario. See post #21.

Edited by john scott

I take your point SD with regard to the size of fines etc, but £100,000? A tenth of a million, for a rush of blood to the head. No pun intended. The comparison i made was only because others were comparing the Pardew situation with the "If i did that at my work i'd be sacked" scenario. See post #21.

If they are management i would imagine they would.

The referee submitted his report to the league and the club received a summons for the boy to appear at a disciplinary hearing where he was given a three match ban and a £30 fine. His Dad tells me the boy gets £3 per week pocket money so in effect he was fined 10 weeks wages.

We've yet to see the punishment that is handed out from the FA and EPL to Pardew so not really a fair comparison. Look at it another way, the boy in your scenario has had no sanction imposed upon him by his club, whereas Pardew has and still has to face some penalty from the FA.

A Mackem though......

Suppose, but I'd pay money to see a manager properly stick the nut on my list!

Of course, I don't really mean that. Managers can't go around sticking the nut on players. John Terry though... Hmm. I'd make an exception. Suarez would be too risky - teeth marks on your forehead.

Guest TPAFKATS

Suppose, but I'd pay money to see a manager properly stick the nut on my list!

Of course, I don't really mean that. Managers can't go around sticking the nut on players. John Terry though... Hmm. I'd make an exception. Suarez would be too risky - teeth marks on your forehead.

Suarez is a reformed character this season. The anger management has worked, Pardew should maybe get some sessions? Edited by TPAFKATS

Suarez is a reformed character this season. The anger management has worked, Pardew should maybe get some sessions?

Eh? Who are you talkIng to? You shut it pal. I'll see you at the next home game and sort you right out. Anger management? Anger FCUKIN' MANAGEMENT? Hold me back, hold me back, I'll get ye' I tell ye!

Edited by pozbaird