Dundee United V St Mirren 15/3/14

It's taken me until now to pluck up the courage to watch the highlights of this one, and if anyone is deluded enough to think that wasn't one of the worst offside decisions NOT given ever, then you really ought to get your eyes tested.

Like you, I've just summoned the courage to watch through my fingers and yes, that was a shocking decision, not once but twice.

That being said following that shite we are, once again, architects of our own demise. Magennis' fresh air header is bad enough at the second but, even then, we have a chance to clear after a poor cross but no, McAusland steps in with his trademark sclaffed clearance and it's 2-2. The less said about Kello's disaster at the third the better but he probably gets a pass considering his form since he got here. McGregor unfortunately does not for his poor header in the lead up.

Decent teams are built on a solid foundation. We simply don't have it and the centre of defence has been our Achilles heel for far too long.

Like you, I've just summoned the courage to watch through my fingers and yes, that was a shocking decision, not once but twice.

That being said following that shite we are, once again, architects of our own demise. Magennis' fresh air header is bad enough at the second but, even then, we have a chance to clear after a poor cross but no, McAusland steps in with his trademark sclaffed clearance and it's 2-2. The less said about Kello's disaster at the third the better but he probably gets a pass considering his form since he got here. McGregor unfortunately does not for his poor header in the lead up.

Decent teams are built on a solid foundation. We simply don't have it and the centre of defence has been our Achilles heel for far too long.

And Danny hasn't noticed that!

What did he do after his fresh air header? I was expecting to see him appear back in the picture trying to make up for his mistake but he never appears again!! Did he see the Aberdeen bus on the way to Hampden or something and keep on running?

And no I'm not upset about him celebrating Aberdeens scraped League Cup boreless draw cup win but I am upset that he doesn't appear back to try to make up for his fresh air header at any point.

YesI've watched the highlights and watched thm closely enouh to realise that I wasn't seeing the entire Saints backline as the ball was kicked.

As the play moved onwards at least one Saints player appeared at the foot of the screen.

It looked offside from the footage but I wasn't standing directly in line with the last defender.

Still photos show absolutely nothing.

That'll be why on contentious issues in TV sports they move through frame by frame to capture proof of offside or a ball over the line from......the relevant still photo.

Newton's record at RB is iffy but perhaps, in hindsight, it would have been a better option - the problem would then have been who to play at Centre Midfield?

The squad we have to see us through the rest of the season is, to say the least, threadbare. Flush.gif

The more worrying thing for me was bringing on Wylde as a replacement in a team where all 10 outfield players had truly battled all day for every ball. For 60 mins we won most tackles and all the loose balls around the park, I can remember at least one big tackle from every one of the players until Wylde came on, I don't even remember him putting in even a half-arsed challenge.

McGennis may or may not have been the correct switch at RB but he was left exposed time and again by bringing on a player who refuses to get involved in the "tougher" aspects of the game. Adam Campbell, remember him, may have at least harried and chased a bit and occasionally put his foot in.

The more worrying thing for me was bringing on Wylde as a replacement in a team where all 10 outfield players had truly battled all day for every ball. For 60 mins we won most tackles and all the loose balls around the park, I can remember at least one big tackle from every one of the players until Wylde came on, I don't even remember him putting in even a half-arsed challenge.

McGennis may or may not have been the correct switch at RB but he was left exposed time and again by bringing on a player who refuses to get involved in the "tougher" aspects of the game. Adam Campbell, remember him, may have at least harried and chased a bit and occasionally put his foot in.

Was this the same Wylde who came on against Kilmarnock? whistling.gif

If so, can't blame anybody, surely, for bringing him on?

FFS. 1eye.gif

Edited by faraway saint

The Campbell/Wylde situation is bizarre, Campbell came in and seemed to be capable of performing at SPFL level then we signed Wylde and the talk was that we'd play both giving us pace down each wing but this hasn't happened and Wylde has moved above Campbell in the pecking order.

I prefer Campbell, although Wylde was the crucial change in the Killie game, on Saturday even an unfit Teale got on before Campbell now given the game situation I can see why you'd go for the experienced pro option but things clearly ain't working - out of the blue victories with 4 or 5 defeats in-between ain't going to be enough to save us from the play-offs. Flush.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

FFS. 1eye.gif

FFS, at the point we brought on Wylde this week we were 2-0 up against a United team who, at home, were always going to apply pressure at some point in the game.

We didn't need to change the game plan or create more to win on Saturday, that had been done through hard work and graft. What we didn't need was a player who refuses to put in a challenge of any sort "protecting" McGennis at right back.

FFS. 1eye.gif

FFS, at the point we brought on Wylde this week we were 2-0 up against a United team who, at home, were always going to apply pressure at some point in the game.

We didn't need to change the game plan or create more to win on Saturday, that had been done through hard work and graft. What we didn't need was a player who refuses to put in a challenge of any sort "protecting" McGennis at right back.

Makes no sense, unless you're using that great "hindsight", must try harder. bye1.gif

Makes no sense, unless you're using that great "hindsight", must try harder. bye1.gif

No hindsight required, me and a few of the guys round about me thought straight away it was the wrong substitution/change.

Tell me FS, what were your observations at the time, from what you could see happening??

No hindsight required, me and a few of the guys round about me thought straight away it was the wrong substitution/change.

Tell me FS, what were your observations at the time, from what you could see happening??

I leave substitutions to the manager, I've never managed a premier league team, sorry, I'm out of this high powered decison making debate. wink.png

PS Even when I'm at games I don't get all "I know better", I'm just trying to support the team.

Just my view you understand. thumbup2.gif

I leave substitutions to the manager, I've never managed a premier league team, sorry, I'm out of this high powered decison making debate. wink.png

PS Even when I'm at games I don't get all "I know better", I'm just trying to support the team.

Just my view you understand. thumbup2.gif

When would you bring Campbell on ?

It's taken me until now to pluck up the courage to watch the highlights of this one, and if anyone is deluded enough to think that wasn't one of the worst offside decisions NOT given ever, then you really ought to get your eyes tested.

Bad enough that THREE players look offside when the first pass goes through, but to then allow the player to tap the ball in from an obviously well offside position is diabolically bad.

I don't think I've seen such a shocking decision in a long, long time.

It's got f**k all to do with paranoia, and everything to do with simply witnessing dreadful decision making by match officials.

But, as usual, being St.Mirren we just accept it. No one else would.

That could be the turning point of staying up or going down via a play off, and that's just not good enough to accept meekly.

It's about time we started showing some fight. Where is it? Who's going to step up? Where's the rallying cry from the manager, the experienced players? What are the fans doing to make a fight of this?

Or are we all going to just sit back and watch us collapse every week?

Time to stop f**king about everyone, and get this sorted. Or we're going down. Up to everyone to do their bit, starting this weekend.

Yes... The time for talking has passed. The time for action is now..

I propose someone who can be arsed, gets a committee of fans who are would-be/know-better managers together, who will go to the BOD with their list of demands - and without further ado, time-wasting and pontification - IMMEDIATELY take over Danny's job - at least till the end of season.

Anyone second that?

Yes... The time for talking has passed. The time for action is now..

I propose someone who can be arsed, gets a committee of fans who are would-be/know-better managers together, who will go to the BOD with their list of demands - and without further ado, time-wasting and pontification - IMMEDIATELY take over Danny's job - at least till the end of season.

Anyone second that?

We need a Faith Healer.............

This one has a brief interlude from Stan "The Man" Unwin introducing The Small Faces! punk.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabojNSensw

The Campbell/Wylde situation is bizarre, Campbell came in and seemed to be capable of performing at SPFL level then we signed Wylde and the talk was that we'd play both giving us pace down each wing but this hasn't happened and Wylde has moved above Campbell in the pecking order.

I prefer Campbell, although Wylde was the crucial change in the Killie game, on Saturday even an unfit Teale got on before Campbell now given the game situation I can see why you'd go for the experienced pro option but things clearly ain't working - out of the blue victories with 4 or 5 defeats in-between ain't going to be enough to save us from the play-offs. Flush.gif

Hey, we also agree on the under-use of Campbell as well.

Hey, we also agree on the under-use of Campbell as well.

The under-use of Campbell, the playing of Newton in varying positions that aren't his best (leading to sarcastic texts from Harkins) and my own strong reaction to Magennis' gurning on Aberdeen's cup podium 24 hours after bottling it in a St Mirren game all concern me. It's a point I've raised a few times - our reliance on loanees, then not playing them or shuffling them around.

How much do these guys really feel for the St Mirren jersey? Not a lot I would suggest when compared to, let's say Cheesy. Are they going to battle in the coming weeks like Shuggie, Broadfoot and Mehmet types did when the shit hit the fan? St Mirren go down via the playoffs and the loanees waltz off.

I'd imagine Campbell and Newton would be at Championship or League 1 English clubs in the blink of an eye, and Magennis would take about five minutes to get the trouser press out for his Aberdeen FC cup final suit, and offski he'd go.

I'm no' a happy camper about Danny's soft-centre, loanee-heavy St Mirren when we're facing the sharp end of another relegation threatened season.

The under-use of Campbell, the playing of Newton in varying positions that aren't his best (leading to sarcastic texts from Harkins) and my own strong reaction to Magennis' gurning on Aberdeen's cup podium 24 hours after bottling it in a St Mirren game all concern me. It's a point I've raised a few times - our reliance on loanees, then not playing them or shuffling them around.

How much do these guys really feel for the St Mirren jersey? Not a lot I would suggest when compared to, let's say Cheesy. Are they going to battle in the coming weeks like Shuggie, Broadfoot and Mehmet types did when the shit hit the fan? St Mirren go down via the playoffs and the loanees waltz off.

I'd imagine Campbell and Newton would be at Championship or League 1 English clubs in the blink of an eye, and Magennis would take about five minutes to get the trouser press out for his Aberdeen FC cup final suit, and offski he'd go.

I'm no' a happy camper about Danny's soft-centre, loanee-heavy St Mirren when we're facing the sharp end of another relegation threatened season.

Cheesy's feelings for St mirren didn't stop him sclaffing a routine clearance straight to Armstrong to set up Dundee United crucial 2nd goal... something which doesn't seem to have featured highly in comparison with Magennis missing his header 20 seconds earlier in the build up.

Cheesy's feelings for St mirren didn't stop him sclaffing a routine clearance straight to Armstrong to set up Dundee United crucial 2nd goal... something which doesn't seem to have featured highly in comparison with Magennis missing his header 20 seconds earlier in the build up.

Tbf there were loads of problems in the build up to that goal.

The gap between midfield and defence was scandalous, nobody in the holding role to mark, block, foul etc the united players in that gap.

The header was weak.

The clearance was sclaffed, partly due to McLean running into Cheesy but big Marc should have taken McLean out the game also.

This was a poor goal to lose but we were beaten by a poor offside decision and a goalkeeping howler.

Edited by davidg

The clearance was sclaffed, partly due to McLean running into Cheesy but big Marc should have taken McLean out the game also.

Totally... against Hibs we had a very lucky escape when he stopped for a game of "no, after you Sir" with Goodwin... allowing the Hibs player to get a shot at goal. I was raging and said that he should have put the ball and Goodwin BOTH into touch. He hasn't learned!

From what I remember wee Danny said that bahoken and Campbell were the strikers we were waiting for when they both signed

Maybe he is simply talking both players up and then when he sees them in training they are not what they thought they were

But the bottom line is, both players are examples of Danny's horrific dealings in the transfer /loan market

I really don't think he can spot a player. Hopeless.