Scottish Tour Gulp !

We are going to tour some of the Scottish islands this summer with a CL Mac Rover ticket. What has come as a shock is the prices of hotels. Take islay most hotels and boarding houses are in the £200 and over price bracket so no Islay malt tours for me this summer :(. Sky was another place with inflated prices though we found hotel for £130 a night. What I can't get away with is these places are not top notch 4 star hotels. Me and the wife have toured Switzerland , Austria and found it far cheaper than Scotland. Though I have noticed the further south you come the cheaper it gets. The Auchrannie 4 star Hotel which is a great place can be had for £140 a night which has all the swings and whistles thrown in as part of the deal. Me and the wife have fancied doing an Island tour for ages so fingers crossed we get decent weather. Have heard on Radio Scotland that hoteliers complain about the Scottish Tourist board not doing enough. My view now is prices need to be seriously looked at by hoteliers they are living in cloud cookbook land .

We are going to tour some of the Scottish islands this summer with a CL Mac Rover ticket. What has come as a shock is the prices of hotels. Take islay most hotels and boarding houses are in the £200 and over price bracket so no Islay malt tours for me this summer sad.png. Sky was another place with inflated prices though we found hotel for £130 a night. What I can't get away with is these places are not top notch 4 star hotels. Me and the wife have toured Switzerland , Austria and found it far cheaper than Scotland. Though I have noticed the further south you come the cheaper it gets. The Auchrannie 4 star Hotel which is a great place can be had for £140 a night which has all the swings and whistles thrown in as part of the deal. Me and the wife have fancied doing an Island tour for ages so fingers crossed we get decent weather. Have heard on Radio Scotland that hoteliers complain about the Scottish Tourist board not doing enough. My view now is prices need to be seriously looked at by hoteliers they are living in cloud cookbook land

Get on to laterooms .

Does it need to be a hotel LS? Could you not do self catering cottage or similar?

This.

Even then, unless you are splitting the cost between a few folk, it is still pricey.

Groupon type deals are usually good value, but they are pretty random so wouldn't fit with LS's tour-type trip.

We are going to tour some of the Scottish islands this summer with a CL Mac Rover ticket. What has come as a shock is the prices of hotels. Take islay most hotels and boarding houses are in the £200 and over price bracket so no Islay malt tours for me this summer sad.png. Sky was another place with inflated prices though we found hotel for £130 a night. What I can't get away with is these places are not top notch 4 star hotels. Me and the wife have toured Switzerland , Austria and found it far cheaper than Scotland. Though I have noticed the further south you come the cheaper it gets. The Auchrannie 4 star Hotel which is a great place can be had for £140 a night which has all the swings and whistles thrown in as part of the deal. Me and the wife have fancied doing an Island tour for ages so fingers crossed we get decent weather. Have heard on Radio Scotland that hoteliers complain about the Scottish Tourist board not doing enough. My view now is prices need to be seriously looked at by hoteliers they are living in cloud cookbook land .

Quite often, if there is a tourist information office where you are, they have places at reasonable prices

Grumpy jocks. :rolleyes:

Here are we Sassenachs (and Rabbies, etc) bussing in shoals of tourists willing to pay a fair price for Jock food, beds and service and you want it cheaper!

Single folk pay about £200 pp pn for transport, hotel food and guide - which I think is insane, but worth it- for Oz dollar, currently, in particular. There are not enough Scots hotels (due to the limited summer season, I guess) for there to be competition. The quality of hotels for similar prices in England is far superior.

The hotels can get the prices they ask. That won't change.

I often use laterooms.com and would also endorse them.

The standard of B&B's has increased by leaps and bounds in the last 5 years. True 4 star quality and braw breakfasts can be had for £80 / £90 per couple, per night. A good pub meal in the evening can be had in most places for £10 / £15, no problem. Spread your net wider my friend and remember island hotels have little or no competition, unlike the mainland where the next resting place is only a few miles up the road.

Self catering was out of the question simply because we are only staying two night in each place.. Doing Loch Leven.. Sky , Harris , Uist , Barra , Mull , Coll. As it turns out 130 a night is the dearest so not so bad Bad after all. Islay was number one choice as I wanted to do the whisky tours will leave that for a long weekend later in the year.

We are going to tour some of the Scottish islands this summer with a CL Mac Rover ticket. What has come as a shock is the prices of hotels. Take islay most hotels and boarding houses are in the £200 and over price bracket so no Islay malt tours for me this summer sad.png. Sky was another place with inflated prices though we found hotel for £130 a night. What I can't get away with is these places are not top notch 4 star hotels. Me and the wife have toured Switzerland , Austria and found it far cheaper than Scotland. Though I have noticed the further south you come the cheaper it gets. The Auchrannie 4 star Hotel which is a great place can be had for £140 a night which has all the swings and whistles thrown in as part of the deal. Me and the wife have fancied doing an Island tour for ages so fingers crossed we get decent weather. Have heard on Radio Scotland that hoteliers complain about the Scottish Tourist board not doing enough. My view now is prices need to be seriously looked at by hoteliers they are living in cloud cookbook land .

Robbin bastards , especially the Sports packages.

Love Skye. The view from the Quiraing, sunset over the Cuilins, the drive up from Portree to Uig, and the Coral Beach... A bit of a hike from a parking spot past Dunvegan Castle, but the day I went it was 75 degrees and bright sunshine. I asked people to look at the photos I took and guess where it was. The answers were Barbados, Jamaica, etc.

Mind you, if it's pissing down the clouds are about a foot above your head and you'll see hee-haw scenery.