How Big A Club Are We?

I would agree that, roughly speaking we are in teir 2 with the kilmarnocks, falkirks, hamiltons, motherwells, Thistles etc. but as the all-time league shows Third Lanark as a relitively successfull team maybe the here and now is more important. I understand that many are dissappointed to be below ICT or the Fakes but last year Ross County were up there and look at them this year. Killie and ourselves have both recently been low down the top league, League cup winners and failed to push on from there and are still in very similar positions.The biggest differences that I can see are we've tended to stick with our managers while killie repeatedly change theirs and of course, the debt. It's very important to stay in the top flight as Falkirk and Hamilton fans will tell you after years in the lower division but at least ourselves, Ross County and Thistle could survive a relegation, I'm not sure the same could be said for Killie. I've seen us win the second teir of scottish football several times, seen us play top sides in european competitions, win a challenge cup, a scottish cup and a league cup and to be honest thats enough to make me happy that I support Saints and more acheivements wouldn't help if we ended up a Rangers, clydebank or third lanark.

I've seen us win 2 division 1 titles, the challenge cup and the league cup in my 16 years or so since I started going to watch St Mirren so can't really complain. Would love to see us play in europe at some point in my life though, probably more likely to come through a Scottish Cup run than league position at the moment.

I've seen us win three Div 1 titles which were all exciting for different reasons under different managers. I've seen us win the League Cup, win the Scottish Cup, reach another League Cup Final but sadly lose, reach three exciting Scottish Cup semi finals in the 80s but sadly lose, reach a League Cup semi final but sadly lose, win the Anglo Scottish Cup, play many times in Europe, and provide some relegation escape act results that were as exciting as many cup semis or whatever. Motherwell 2-3 anyone? I've never seen us win the Bells Ramsdens B&Q Challenge Diddy Cup though. I've never attended a Bells Ramsdens B&Q Challenge Diddy Cup game in my life - and never will. Personally held feelings that St Mirren FC shouldn't be playing in competitions that are for 'lesser' clubs, no top flight clubs play in it. I'm not trying to be wanky about it, but I genuinely believe in my heart that any time we spend in Division 1 is merely our gap years until we return to our rightful place.

If we never won another thing in my lifetime, I'd still die a happy man with what I have seen us win.

I've seen us win three Div 1 titles which were all exciting for different reasons under different managers. I've seen us win the League Cup, win the Scottish Cup, reach another League Cup Final but sadly lose, reach three exciting Scottish Cup semi finals in the 80s but sadly lose, reach a League Cup semi final but sadly lose, win the Anglo Scottish Cup, play many times in Europe, and provide some relegation escape act results that were as exciting as many cup semis or whatever. Motherwell 2-3 anyone? I've never seen us win the Bells Ramsdens B&Q Challenge Diddy Cup though. I've never attended a Bells Ramsdens B&Q Challenge Diddy Cup game in my life - and never will. Personally held feelings that St Mirren FC shouldn't be playing in competitions that are for 'lesser' clubs, no top flight clubs play in it. I'm not trying to be wanky about it, but I genuinely believe in my heart that any time we spend in Division 1 is merely our gap years until we return to our rightful place.

If we never won another thing in my lifetime, I'd still die a happy man with what I have seen us win.

Well do like me then Poz and just don't go back. Then you can die a happy rich man knowing that for the last 30 odd years of your life you didn't have to waste money on all those pish performances from St Mirren teams that didn't live up to those of your happy memories. I'm with you BTW on all those matches - there were two League Cup Semi Finals that were lost though. As well as the two legged Rangers one in the 80's poor old Tom Hendrie also had St Mirren in one but they lost to Kilmarnock.

I'd agree that there was some happy times watching the successful St Mirren teams of the past but the club felt different back then. Maybe I was just a naive wee boy but back then St Mirren felt like a whirlpool of good in a river of effluence. A club that launched players careers and had tight links with local community clubs like Linwood Rangers and Glennifer Thistle. The club has lost it's way for far too many years and I'm sure that it'll have cost them at at least one generations worth of what I call 1st Generation supporters. It'll take a lot to reverse that trend - IMO.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Well do like me then Poz and just don't go back. Then you can die a happy rich man knowing that for the last 30 odd years of your life you didn't have to waste money on all those pish performances from St Mirren teams that didn't live up to those of your happy memories. I'm with you BTW on all those matches - there were two League Cup Semi Finals that were lost though. As well as the two legged Rangers one in the 80's poor old Tom Hendrie also had St Mirren in one but they lost to Kilmarnock.

I'd agree that there was some happy times watching the successful St Mirren teams of the past but the club felt different back then. Maybe I was just a naive wee boy but back then St Mirren felt like a whirlpool of good in a river of effluence. A club that launched players careers and had tight links with local community clubs like Linwood Rangers and Glennifer Thistle. The club has lost it's way for far too many years and I'm sure that it'll have cost them at at least one generations worth of what I call 1st Generation supporters. It'll take a lot to reverse that trend - IMO.

Don't go back? Cannae' do that... I'd miss the pies!

Likewise all the honours I've seen us pick up :) happy days !

Fortunately many on here of our vintage haven't graduated from naive wee boy to cynical old bastard just yet. I kind of think I never will. BTW who were these legions of players we signed from Gleniffer that starred for St.Mirren? And now we have that terrible thing called the academy to link to the community from five year olds up. let's hope none of them do any daft and represent our local team for Scotland under 21s. tongue.png

Fortunately many on here of our vintage haven't graduated from naive wee boy to cynical old bastard just yet. I kind of think I never will. BTW who were these legions of players we signed from Gleniffer that starred for St.Mirren? And now we have that terrible thing called the academy to link to the community from five year olds up. let's hope none of them do any daft and represent our local team for Scotland under 21s. tongue.png

How does having an academy that only St Mirren players can use link with the Community?

Check the dictionary under "Glory Hunters" and you'll see Dicko's photo beside the definition.

I always kinda supported St. Mirren but it wasn't until 76/77 that I started going on a regular basis - I guess there were plenty like me who joined up that season & I've stayed with them ever since although many have drifted away. What I'm saying is that it's often an exceptional season or cup run that draws in the gloryhunters like myself and that some will stay butt that most will drift off after a season or so of poor results.

Briefly back on topic there have been comments about where ICT & Ross County fit into the picture, for me they're provisionally on the same level as ourselves - able to support a full-time squad but I reckon they've both yet to spend a period in the doldrums if Dundee hadn't imploded and ICT returned to the SPL at the first attempt who knows how their fans would've reacted to an 8 or a 5 year spell in the First Division like we've spent in recent times?

Anyway from a member of the Fergie Revivalist Movement who still has the bug - once a Saint, always..............

Dundee it has to be said are probably bigger than us. In their last SPL I think their average attendance was over 6,000. Their honours include a league title, a handful of league runner-up places and semi-finals in the European Cup and Fairs Cup. Like a lot of clubs they have fallen foul of over ambitious boards who tried to spend for success, with neither the money nor the brains to back it up. We have been lucky that our board have not been gullible enough to fall into that trap and we should be thankful. The fakes are a well run club which is why they punch above their weight - although it will be interesting to see if their new chairman can emulate his faither, in my view the most successful club chairman of the last 40 years.

Dundee are a far bigger club than us unfortunately. In fact there's a credible argument that Dundee are in fact a bigger club than Dundee United. In recent times they've been down on their luck, but in terms of hardcore support they probably just edge it I'd say.

Motherwell and Killie are slightly bigger than us, we're slightly bigger than Thistle but significantly bigger than St Johnstone and ICT.

Dundee are a far bigger club than us unfortunately. In fact there's a credible argument that Dundee are in fact a bigger club than Dundee United. In recent times they've been down on their luck, but in terms of hardcore support they probably just edge it I'd say.

Motherwell and Killie are slightly bigger than us, we're slightly bigger than Thistle but significantly bigger than St Johnstone and ICT.

I agree that dundee are a bigger club than us but Motherwell, killie and thistle are the same size as us. The only reason that Motherwell and killie haven't suffered a relegation is due to years of spending money they never had.

If you look at attendances over the last 6 years, both killie and Motherwell have consistently whored out their stadiums to celtic (and rangers when they existed) whereas we can only give the old scum 2k of tickets so immediately they get a benefit on their average crowds.

Apologies if this has been posted previously but I've not read the whole thread.

• 4 weeks later...

My bad, forgot about your 1921 cup win, will edit tomorrow.

I would say if we took the average home gates from both clubs this century you'd see the degree of difference in size between the clubs. After a quick glance at average attendances for last few years it won't surprise you to learn I've yet to find one where Thistle come close to St Mirren.

Take last seasons league campaigns for example. You had a largely competitive title winning campaign which will always bring out the crowds and an astounding 8875 home gate against Morton. Just another season in 11th for us, our largest gate being 6200 odd. Due to Dundee being cut off we really had nothing to play for most of the season.

Despite these mitigating factors in Thistles favour, we still had a higher average gate than you.

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

APRIL 1, 2014

Team Total Average

1 Celtic 748,926 46,807

2 Heart of Midlothian 213,018 14,201

3 Aberdeen 195,357 13,023

4 Hibernian 170,618 10,663

5 Dundee United 118,296 7,393

6 Partick Thistle 80,394 5,024

7 Motherwell 79,146 4,946

8 St Mirren 65,315 4,354

9 Kilmarnock 67,193 4,199

10 Ross County 60,266 3,766

11 St Johnstone 62,476 3,675

12 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 56,824 3,551

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

APRIL 1, 2014

Team Total Average

1 Celtic 748,926 46,807

2 Heart of Midlothian 213,018 14,201

3 Aberdeen 195,357 13,023

4 Hibernian 170,618 10,663

5 Dundee United 118,296 7,393

6 Partick Thistle 80,394 5,024

7 Motherwell 79,146 4,946

8 St Mirren 65,315 4,354

9 Kilmarnock 67,193 4,199

10 Ross County 60,266 3,766

11 St Johnstone 62,476 3,675

12 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 56,824 3,551

Novelty factor for home and away fans. You're not saying you have more fans than us, are you?

Not to mention the fact you had the (mis?)fortune of hosting their title party.

Edited by Lex

Novelty factor for home and away fans. You're not saying you have more fans than us, are you?

Not to mention the fact you had the (mis?)fortune of hosting their title party.

I'm not saying anything, just posting facts.

Are you saying the novelty factor has worn off for home send away fans at your ground?

Edited by dave.j

I wasn't planning to, as I'm sure you know what those figures show as well as I do ;)

I'm going to guess and say that whilst your team has pure massive crowds compared to us over the last 20 years. It counts for nothing as with your new stadium, new training facility and no debt, you're still below us in the league. ;-P

I'm going to guess and say that whilst your team has pure massive crowds compared to us over the last 20 years. It counts for nothing as with your new stadium, new training facility and no debt, you're still below us in the league. ;-P

If I may interject..........you are therefore making a four sided argument for us, against Thistle's aherm three sides................you'd be right then thumbup2.gif