The West Highland Way

HSS

The other thing I meant to mention is to avoid starting on Saturday, Sunday or Monday of you want to avoid crowds. We started on a Thursday and while we saw a few people along the way it was only on the final stretch we came across big numbers. Still haven't figured out where they all came from.

I found 6 days just right, 3 of the 4 of us were novices and although one dropped out, the three of us did manage as long a walk as any mentioned so far, Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven.

Surely it does not matters how long it takes someone to walk the West Highland Way - the satisifaction in completing the walk is a personal thing.

Taking your time allows you even longer to enjoy the scenery and the experience.

It's a bit like sex.

I'll admit I was being a wee bit tongue in cheek. You are of course right. It's down to the individual. I just found 5 days was the right blend for me of going at a pace I was comfortable with, whilst still being able to appreciate everything around me.

I am nails though!! punk.gif

I walked it with the female shapely 59er with full kit back in the early 80's................. god that's 30 years ago - yes full kit with tent and sleeping / cooking / food / waterproofs etc etc..................................... never again!

We have talked about doing it again but exactly as described above - i.e. with minimal baggage and an arranged stopover each night.

The great advantage is that waterproofs are now so much better and lighter. I agree with the layering system - the Americans do this extremely well and there are now lots of products that make it easier to keep warm and also to keep cool.

As for boots, again don't compromise. As said above the Scottish weather and mud have a habit of getting through in the wettest of conditions. I would recommend Scarpa's for the rough stuff and a really good pair of walking trainers for the lighter sections of the walk.

The section from Inveroran onwards is my favourite bit. The remoteness of Ba Bridge can be brilliant. if you are there alone on a great morning and looking east down Rannoch Moor with not a soul in sight, and then heading up over the Devil's Staircase and flirting with the Aonach Eagach. By all means slightly deviate at the top and cautiously head along the ridge - you don't need to go too far or get too exposed to really appreciate one of the finest views in Scotland.

Yes do it - May or early June are good in Scotland - the stats say these are pretty well the driest weeks, but don't hesitate it is worth doing. We took a week with full pack. I suggest with lighter pack and arranged stopover you could manage it in 5 to 6 days. No point in rushing it!thumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gif

I did it in 5 days. Thoroughly enjoyed it but i really fancied staying at some of the places we passed through, ie tyndrum, glencoe. Think if i was to do it again i would do it in 6 days. The first 20 miles are relatively easy(flat) however the following 20 miles round loch lomond, although beautiful, is a hell of a lot rougher on the feet.

We stayed in oak tree inn Balmaha, nice pub and setting

beinglas wigwams(basic)nice pub, good food

Bridge of orchy railway sleeper. Quirky but the guy running it was a twat. Give this a wide berth

Kinlochleven hobbit lodges are like a luxury wigwan(tv,kettle,fridge,microwave, heater)

Fort william has plenty good b&bs

Agree with getting your bags delivered then all you need is a day bag with drinks, chocolate/energy bars, plasters, vasoline(must) painkillers and sime spare socks,t shirt etc incase you get caught in the rain and a camera to capture your pain/pleasure;-)

Enjoy it bud

Bridge of orchy railway sleeper. Quirky but the guy running it was a twat. Give this a wide berth

He was a bit loopy but what I wasn't keen on was the human hair we found in the bedding. We had originally planned on camping at Victoria Bridge but the other 2 didn't fancy it and the Inveroran and BoO Hotels were full so we were stuck. If you do stay there, take your own sleeping bag.

Yes do it - May or early June are good in Scotland - the stats say these are pretty well the driest weeks, but don't hesitate it is worth doing. We took a week with full pack. I suggest with lighter pack and arranged stopover you could manage it in 5 to 6 days. No point in rushing it!:thumbs2:thumbs2:thumbs2:thumbs2:thumbs2

As an ancient mountaineer with a lifetime's experience we walked and did hills, coast to coast Knoydart to Stonehaven a few years ago. 17 days. And like the 59er, I know my subject, so we did it in the best month for these things. May?

It rained every day except one, on which it snowed.

Nobody knows anything except "expect and be prepared for the worst and be delighted with what you get". :)

He was a bit loopy but what I wasn't keen on was the human hair we found in the bedding. We had originally planned on camping at Victoria Bridge but the other 2 didn't fancy it and the Inveroran and BoO Hotels were full so we were stuck. If you do stay there, take your own sleeping bag.

he was the only bad experience on the whole trip

I walked it with the female shapely 59er with full kit back in the early 80's................. god that's 30 years ago - yes full kit with tent and sleeping / cooking / food / waterproofs etc etc..................................... never again!

We have talked about doing it again but exactly as described above - i.e. with minimal baggage and an arranged stopover each night.

The great advantage is that waterproofs are now so much better and lighter. I agree with the layering system - the Americans do this extremely well and there are now lots of products that make it easier to keep warm and also to keep cool.

As for boots, again don't compromise. As said above the Scottish weather and mud have a habit of getting through in the wettest of conditions. I would recommend Scarpa's for the rough stuff and a really good pair of walking trainers for the lighter sections of the walk.

The section from Inveroran onwards is my favourite bit. The remoteness of Ba Bridge can be brilliant. if you are there alone on a great morning and looking east down Rannoch Moor with not a soul in sight, and then heading up over the Devil's Staircase and flirting with the Aonach Eagach. By all means slightly deviate at the top and cautiously head along the ridge - you don't need to go too far or get too exposed to really appreciate one of the finest views in Scotland.

Yes do it - May or early June are good in Scotland - the stats say these are pretty well the driest weeks, but don't hesitate it is worth doing. We took a week with full pack. I suggest with lighter pack and arranged stopover you could manage it in 5 to 6 days. No point in rushing it!thumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gif

The Aonach Eagach is probably second or third for my top walks in Scotland and is a fantastic experience and I didn't find it as difficult as it first looks although I was busy cajoling my mate along it with the promise of a well deserved pint in the Clachaig. Torridon or the Cuillin ridge must be my top two although I can't decide which order, partially because any time I've been to Skye it has been wet and misty while any time I've been to Torridon it has been brilliant sunshine.

The Aonach Eagach is probably second or third for my top walks in Scotland and is a fantastic experience and I didn't find it as difficult as it first looks although I was busy cajoling my mate along it with the promise of a well deserved pint in the Clachaig. Torridon or the Cuillin ridge must be my top two although I can't decide which order, partially because any time I've been to Skye it has been wet and misty while any time I've been to Torridon it has been brilliant sunshine.

Haven't done the Cuillin Ridge before, but my mate and I climbed Sgurr Alistair last year, so got a good feel for what it was like.

Doing Liathach, Beinn Alligin and An Teallach for the first time in June. Cannae wait.

Bla Bheinn on Syke is a stunning hill. The only Munro on the island that isn't in the Cuillin.

We walked it on a crystal clear day, and the views are absolutely breathtaking. Undoubtedly the best hill I've walked. It is one of those walks where you pause for a breath and actually feel humble when you look around at the majesty of the setting.

Edited by Drew

he was the only bad experience on the whole trip

His wife was okay, though - as I said, we were planning on camping at Victoria Bridge so our bags were at the Inveroran Hotel. She let us borrow her car to drive over and collect them and arranged the pick-up the next day. Mind you, I think she'd had a few so couldn't drive herself.....

He never came near the three of us, but we're a (retired) rugby front row so maybe that explains it.

Bla Bheinn on Syke is a stunning hill. The only Munro on the island that isn't in the Cuillin.

We walked it on a crystal clear day, and the views are absolutely breathtaking. Undoubtedly the best hill I've walked. It is one of those walks where you pause for a breath and actually feel humble when you look around at the majesty of the setting.

Agreed Drew. Bla Bheinn is a cracking hill. We climbed it last year. We too were lucky enough to get it on a great day. Some good scrambling on it too.

• 3 months later...

All booked up and ready to go next Fri.....

Day

1......Drymen

2......Rowardennan

3......Beinn Glass

4......Tyndrum

5......Kings House

6......Kinlochleven

7......Fort William

Bring it on............

Day

1......Drymen

2......Rowardennan

3......Beinn Glass

4......Tyndrum

5......Kings House

6......Kinlochleven

7......Fort William

Bring it on............

Good luck Sir !

Day

1......Drymen

2......Rowardennan

3......Beinn Glass

4......Tyndrum

5......Kings House

6......Kinlochleven

7......Fort William

Bring it on............

Have a great time. Wish I could get organised to do it.

I'm not a million miles away and I love living here but every now and again I get a sudden bout of home sickness and really want back to Bonny Scotland and to dear old Paisley. Reading your post has went and gone and done it to me. I'll have to come over very soon.

Have a great time. Wish I could get organised to do it.

I'm not a million miles away and I love living here but every now and again I get a sudden bout of home sickness and really want back to Bonny Scotland and to dear old Paisley. Reading your post has went and gone and done it to me. I'll have to come over very soon.

Arbroath is nice this time of the year and you wid be made very welcome.

Arbroath is nice this time of the year and you wid be made very welcome.

Arbroath is nice any time of the year but I only stopped off for smokies on my way to Montrose. Much nicer place with a better class of people. Quite a few of them related to my wife.