The West Highland Way

HSS

Slippers are waiting at home,I'm really looking forward to meeting up with them.

Only 8 miles today but it was hard, possibly the hardest now that Loch Lomond is a distant memory!! Out the Kingshouse and up and over the,aptly named,Devils Staircase in 25° heat.Again well worth it when you get to the top,the view was spectacular.Then you think this will be easier,it's almost downhill all the way from here.......I hate downhill :( Anyway,at Kinlochleven now....Not much here apart from a couple of pubs.... would be rude not to try them and watch some of the opening ceremony.It'll be strange to see Sellic Park with a capacity crowd!!

Last day tomorrow 16 mile to the Fort!!!!!

And that mere last 16 mile only comes when ye scrabble up fae sea level for a couple thousand feet.

And an awfy lot a road walking into Nevis Sports.... :o

Enjoy. :)

Eta: for posh dinner and great views (request them) I recommend seafood at the Crannog which is perched over Loch Linnhe.

http://www.crannog.net/restaurant/

For good pub grub and beer, on the High Street, the Grog and Gruel.

http://www.grogandgruel.co.uk

And well done.

Edited by bluto

And that mere last 16 mile only comes when ye scrabble up fae sea level for a couple thousand feet.I

And an awfy lot a road walking into Nevis Sports.... :o

Enjoy. :)

And well done.

Thanks for the advice bluto but we'll no have time for games.....altho I did watch Countdown tonight.:) Edited by HSS

Well that's the end of the road folks and may I say that was one hellish road.Bluto wisnae exaggerating with his climb from Kinlochleven,only thing he forgot to mention was the climb never stopped.I am totally f'cked,it was another never ending day.At Jaccis cousins in Corpach now and I'm just about to head down to my local up here,The Tradewinds.Great wee pub.:)I've got the hillwalking bug now,in fact our next trip already booked...........to Holland.

I can safely say I will never do the WHW again.:)

Never say never - I've got the notion to do it the other way round after saying that, HSS

:)

It's not any easier doing it back the way,you've still got the same hills.

As much as I cursed along the way I did enjoy it.The scenery is spectacular.It's a great scenic route driving to FW but to cut thru is mind blowing.Also the social side if it is 1st class,met some very nice people.

But I'm still no doing it again.

PS....if any of you are tempted to do it,do me a favour.Keep your eyes peeled going from Rowerdenen to Beinglas.I dropped a wee leather pouch with a half Q in it.Finders keepers,I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Guest TPAFKATS

It's not any easier doing it back the way,you've still got the same hills.

As much as I cursed along the way I did enjoy it.The scenery is spectacular.It's a great scenic route driving to FW but to cut thru is mind blowing.Also the social side if it is 1st class,met some very nice people.

But I'm still no doing it again.

PS....if any of you are tempted to do it,do me a favour.Keep your eyes peeled going from Rowerdenen to Beinglas.I dropped a wee leather pouch with a half Q in it.Finders keepers,I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Very disappointed to read during the Commonwealth Games that you were endulging in performance enhancing substances thumbdown.gif

• 1 month later...

We just started this today, walked from Milngavie to Drymen.

Great day for it, blazing sunshine all day. Pretty straightforward stage, mostly flat and on Tarmac or cycle paths. Did a quick detour to the Glengoyne distillery and bought a hip flask and a couple of miniatures to speed up the miles, then stopped at the beech tree inn for a decent pub lunch.

Down to the Clachan now for dinner, almost forgot about St Mirren! :cheers

Edited by TopCat

Great day for it, blazing sunshine all day. Pretty straightforward stage, mostly flat and on Tarmac or cycle paths. Did a quick detour to the Glengoyne distillery and bought a hip flask and a couple of miniatures to speed up the miles, then stopped at the beech tree in for a decent pub lunch.

Down to the Clachan now for dinner, almost forgot about St Mirren! :cheers:

A walk in the park today TC,the real stuff starts tomorrow.Enjoy.:)

Guest TPAFKATS

Great day for it, blazing sunshine all day. Pretty straightforward stage, mostly flat and on Tarmac or cycle paths. Did a quick detour to the Glengoyne distillery and bought a hip flask and a couple of miniatures to speed up the miles, then stopped at the beech tree inn for a decent pub lunch.

Down to the Clachan now for dinner, almost forgot about St Mirren! :cheers

Wishing you started on Saturday?

Enjoying the midgies? :)

Or is there still a caul northerly blawin? :unsure:

Not seen one yet. In the Oak Tree Inn in Balmaha now , after an invigorating climb of Conic Hill. Some great views up there, and had another great morning for it.

6.5 mile Loch side stroll to Rowardennan this afternoon and then that's day 2 done :)

Edited by TopCat

Not seen one yet. In the Oak Tree Inn in Balmaha now , after an invigorating climb of Conic Hill. Some great views up there, and had another great morning for it.

6.5 mile Loch side stroll to Rowardennan this afternoon and then that's day 2 done smile.png

I popped up conic hill the other week after work. Stunning views. Enjoy your walk.

That afternoon session was a lot harder than I was expecting, seemed to go on forever!

The perception of that was not helped by some poor guide book reading by myself, which made me think the anchorage cottage was our hotel when i seen it in the distance. The realisation soon dawned, infact we had another hour and a half to go.. :(:lol:

Still, can't complain, 2 days and not a drop of rain. Some great views of the Loch today, the amount of secluded little bays it has is amazing.

Tomorrow sounds like a bit of a quad burner and it's a long one, walking up to Inveranan. Hopefully the weather holds up!