Wee Places Worth A Visit - Add Yours!

pozbaird

OK, inspired by the West Highland Way thread... Get em' in. Not ncessarily the big famous attractions, but even if it's a wee coffee shop that you thought had good home made scones or anything! The shared information on any subject in this forum is normally top drawer from good Buddies. At the very least it could give us some ideas to get in the good books with the missus' by saying 'Mon' and we'll go a wee run to......'

...Culross, Fife. Just turn right over the original Kincardine Bridge and follow the signs. Park in the waterfront car park at the village entrance. Walk along the railway line and go through the swing gate to the old pier. Take your camera for a great photo opp' looking right down the pier as it disappears into the Forth estuary. Go into the village and see the peach coloured 'palace' building with super gardens behind it. There's a really good coffee shop and pottery gift shop nearby, and the Red Lion pub is good too. Walk up the steep cobbled streets to the Abbey for more good photos.

South Queensferry. Simply park up and walk along the front until you get under the Forth Road Bridge. Totally different views of the bridges all the way along.

Bearsden Cross. A square of excellent tearooms, shops and restaurants, with the Roman Bath House ruins only a two minute walk away.

The Wee Blether tea room, past Aberfoyle. Drive through Aberfoyle past the primary school and head for the McDonald Forest Hills Hotel. Twisty road with super scenery to your left on the loch. Drive up the hill to the hotel car park - the hotel gardens are beautiful and there's paths with waterfalls and a pond. I could create the world's greatest Par 3 in those grounds given the chance. Tee off at the hotel hitting down to a green nestled in the trees beside the pond... But anyway.... Walk down to the watersports place opposite hotel and turn right. Walk for 15 mins to the Wee Blether tearoom for home made cakes, sandwiches, burgers, the works. Make sure it's a good weather day and take a camera!

Tourist route to Perth. Don't batter up the A9 all the time. Follow the big brown tourist route signs and cut off to your left instead. Stop in Muthill at another one of my favourite coffee stops. Can't remember the name of it at the moment, it's on the straight bit of road just before leaving the village. Visit the old ruined church.

That'll do for starters. Will try and link to some photos later tonight.

Dunfermline is well worth a visit.Beautiful Abbey(nearly as nice as ours),Pittencrieff Park can be wandered round for a good few hours,Carnegies house well worth a visit too.

Only thing that lets it down is the lack of good coffee shops altho there are some good pubs for the non drivers.

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/pittencrieff-park-p252631

Poz recommended The Wee Blether at Aberfoyle.If you take him up on it you should continue on round the block to Callander.Lovely drive thru the National Park,past Loch Achray,down thru Brig O' Turk and into Town where you will find the Hamilton Toy Shop.More of a museum that will take you back to your childhood.The most common statement you'll hear in the shop is "I had that"

Also a great old fashioned Bakery with some amazing cakes.Can't mind the name of it but it's across from the Royal Hotel,just down from the Car Park.

Edited by HSS

Dunbar, especially of an evening. I've been there a few times over the last couple of years and the walk along the coastline from the harbour northwards is stunning. There's also a really good coffee shop in the town centre - maybe 200 yards away from the harbour on the left hand side of the road and a fantastic restaurant which I really would highly recommend called The Rocks.

It's a few years since I last did it but the walk up Tinto Hill at Symington on a nice day is great too.

OK, inspired by the West Highland Way thread... Get em' in. Not ncessarily the big famous attractions, but even if it's a wee coffee shop that you thought had good home made scones or anything! The shared information on any subject in this forum is normally top drawer from good Buddies. At the very least it could give us some ideas to get in the good books with the missus' by saying 'Mon' and we'll go a wee run to......'

...Culross, Fife. Just turn right over the original Kincardine Bridge and follow the signs. Park in the waterfront car park at the village entrance. Walk along the railway line and go through the swing gate to the old pier. Take your camera for a great photo opp' looking right down the pier as it disappears into the Forth estuary. Go into the village and see the peach coloured 'palace' building with super gardens behind it. There's a really good coffee shop and pottery gift shop nearby, and the Red Lion pub is good too. Walk up the steep cobbled streets to the Abbey for more good photos.

Agreed, great wee pub lunch at the Lion with a decent selection of beers and interesting artwork on the roof beams and especially on the ceiling of the gents. You need to book at week-ends. the lime-kilns at nearby Limekilns are also worh a look around.

South Queensferry. Simply park up and walk along the front until you get under the Forth Road Bridge. Totally different views of the bridges all the way along.

The Hawes inn is a good stopping point, mentioned in the novel "Kidnapped"

Bearsden Cross. A square of excellent tearooms, shops and restaurants, with the Roman Bath House ruins only a two minute walk away.

The Wee Blether tea room, past Aberfoyle. Drive through Aberfoyle past the primary school and head for the McDonald Forest Hills Hotel. Twisty road with super scenery to your left on the loch. Drive up the hill to the hotel car park - the hotel gardens are beautiful and there's paths with waterfalls and a pond. I could create the world's greatest Par 3 in those grounds given the chance. Tee off at the hotel hitting down to a green nestled in the trees beside the pond... But anyway.... Walk down to the watersports place opposite hotel and turn right. Walk for 15 mins to the Wee Blether tearoom for home made cakes, sandwiches, burgers, the works. Make sure it's a good weather day and take a camera!

Tourist route to Perth. Don't batter up the A9 all the time. Follow the big brown tourist route signs and cut off to your left instead. Stop in Muthill at another one of my favourite coffee stops. Can't remember the name of it at the moment, it's on the straight bit of road just before leaving the village. Visit the old ruined church.

If you divert before cCieff, go past the famous grouse distillery (which is also a good wee visit) up the waterworks road to Loch Turret, which is usually completey uninhabited, bar the sheep and coos. Lovely lochside walks and the occasional eerie feeling of isolation

That'll do for starters. Will try and link to some photos later tonight.

Post of the week. But, take the tourist route on the way back. You must batter up the A9 because it has the truly breathtaking view of Scottish forestry in all its glory. As you head towards Dunkeld you crest a little summit in the road and you are met with the most amazing view of what Scotland was originally - just trees rising up all the way to the sky it seems. Best viewed in autumn, with the greens, gold and browns. And the bonus is, if you carry on through Pitlochry towards Killiecrankie you have Queens View. Just look and wonder - you can stick the Grand Canyon you know where!!!

Portpatrick is a place I'd be keen to go back to. Pubs with plenty of character (and characters!), and the village is on the route (the starting point) of the Southern Upland Way.

Walks in and around Dunkeld are great, with the Autumn colours in October offering breathtaking scenes.

More local, don't write off a wander up the Kilpatrick Hills to Loch Humphrey. The path is good all the way, with some superb, open views. Its quite steep for the final 1/4 mile so is a decent wee workout (ideal for blowing the cobwebs away after a few refreshment the night before). Plenty of scope to ramble about aimlessly once you get to the lochs (as I did when I took a day off and went for a wander last Monday)

Another local favourite is the Balloch to Cardross route over the Stoneymollan Brae. There is the option to walk the return leg or get the train back to Balloch. Great views over the Loch, and plenty of wildlife to spot. Cardross has a couple of pubs and there is also the option to jump the train to Helensburgh.

A nice,easy, local walk at the Esplanade Gourock.Park at the Greencock end,a mile long......2 if you want your car back,completely flat and you can get a nice ice cream when you finish.Some lovely houses to look at or just gaze out at the water.

Great walk for children.

A nice,easy, local walk at the Esplanade Gourock.Park at the Greencock end,a mile long......2 if you want your car back,completely flat and you can get a nice ice cream when you finish.Some lovely houses to look at or just gaze out at the water.

Great walk for children.

On the Inverclyde theme, the Greenock Cut is another I intend to do soon. I was up there on the mountain bike a few years ago, but fancy a stroll this time.

Mount Stewart is one of the wonders of Scotland it has to be seen to be believed. It can be visited in a day by train to Wemyss Bay then ferry to Bute arriving in Rothesay there is a but that runs back and forth to Mount Stewart.

a runny butt? Surely theres more to Scotland than that shutup.gif

On the Inverclyde theme, the Greenock Cut is another I intend to do soon. I was up there on the mountain bike a few years ago, but fancy a stroll this time.

used to do a sponsored walk round that every year great on a nice sunny day.

One of the best places to go on a sunny day nearby for peace and quiet is the road goes along the side of Loch Long between the Submarine base and Arrocher. I first found it trying to find somewhere to fish (never caught much) but for peace and quiet, sunshine it is absolutley fantastic. Take along a picnic and sit and watch the fishing boats go up and down the Loch it is absolute bliss.

There really are some fantastic places all over Scotland, I was pretty lucky as a child (I didn't think so at the time) that while my pals were away on exotic holidays abroad my parents liked to holiday here so have seen a lot of fantastic places across the country,

Cracking thread - quite often stuck on an odd weekend day wondering where we fancy going for a drive etc. Had some great suggestions already.

I'll have a think but what springs to mind for starters:

Largs - can easily be done on nice summer night - stroll from 1 to end of town pick up a chippy or stop in bean & leaf and end up at marina.

Culzean castle - been a while but was a lovely building and great gardens etc and try the bottle on the electric brae!