Wee Places Worth A Visit - Add Yours!

pozbaird

Cosmo, Love Street... fritters. Food of the Gods!

I will never forget the facial expressions of the Mechelen fans who were over for the game vs ICT... they got their pre-match food from Cosmo.

One guy... trying to be healthy... got a chicken supper! I don't think he had experienced deep fried chicken before going by his expression!!! Flush.gif

Locally check out Walls Hill. A nice walk and a bit of history.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/43011/details/walls+hill/

Also not sure if I mentioned pastmap before

http://pastmap.org.uk/

The walled garden at barshaw (so many people miss it)

Summerlee industrial museum shows what should have been done with the mill complex.

Crinnan Canal and Crinnan well worth a detour, great for an easy bike ride.

Castle Campbell is stunning,

Graymares tail by Moffet is a bit of trek up but worth it if you head out on to the hills. (also drive on to St Mary's loch)

Although most years I go to Islay, Coll is well worth a visit are Lewis, Harris and the Orkney's

My living room window looks onto the Crinan Canal

its great watching the big yaght's go passed

Took a trip to Bean & Leaf in Largs yesterday (think I burst my car in process - see another thread :-/) but noticed a lot of people walking along a fairly new footpath just past the reservoir heading towards Largs on the on the Largs road (A760). Wondered if anyone has stopped the car and taken a look to see what it's all about?

Took a trip to Bean & Leaf in Largs yesterday (think I burst my car in process - see another thread :-/) but noticed a lot of people walking along a fairly new footpath just past the reservoir heading towards Largs on the on the Largs road (A760). Wondered if anyone has stopped the car and taken a look to see what it's all about?

On the left of the A760 a couple of miles before the dump?

I think that is the new road built for the wind farm construction you're talking about? You see loads of hill walkers using it.

Edited by davidg

Drimsynie Estate at Lochgoilhead is worth a visit. Smashing 5 miles drive on a singe track from the rest and be thankful road. Been about 7 times before but this weekend will be my 1st visit for about 5 years. All the normal leisure pool stuff with a 9 hole goal course in front of the hotel.

Drimsynie Estate at Lochgoilhead is worth a visit. Smashing 5 miles drive on a singe track from the rest and be thankful road. Been about 7 times before but this weekend will be my 1st visit for about 5 years. All the normal leisure pool stuff with a 9 hole goal course in front of the hotel.

I have thought about cycling over there on the road bike - is it a decent road surface?

On the left of the A760 a couple of miles before the dump?

I think that is the new road built for the wind farm construction you're talking about? You see loads of hill walkers using it.

That's the one. It was really busy with cars all parked in the wee car park in front of it. Definitely hillwalker types and not workers.

I have thought about cycling over there on the road bike - is it a decent road surface?

I would say it would be no problem but it is fairly steep for the 1st 2 miles so depending on your fitness and bike, it could be a struggle back up. You could check out the road on street view. Last 3 miles is flat.

I would say it would be no problem but it is fairly steep for the 1st 2 miles so depending on your fitness and bike, it could be a struggle back up. You could check out the road on street view. Last 3 miles is flat.

Thanks for that. I not too proud to use the "granny gear"!

• 3 weeks later...

Kids at St Andrews with their Gran so me and the missus just walked from Drymen to Balmaha. Its a beautiful day here. Balmaha is a beautiful wee spot with a great view over the loch.

Sitting having a pint before heading back to our hotel and then to the local pub for some live music and more beer.

Magic!

Thanks for that. I not too proud to use the "granny gear"!

I don't think the incline would present too much of a problem for , sir. The only thing worth looking out for is the occasional nut job in a car going to fast for a single track road. Some of the residents of Lochgoilhead are the worst for this kind of shenanigans . .

Balmaha.

I love going to Balmaha. It takes me back to the 60's when a few of us hired a motor boat and went over to Inchcailloch to look for the burial place of the MacGregors. Back then the island was very thickly wooded and it was a tough place to walk in. There were no signposts and we had virtually given up when we stumbled across the graveyard. Again it was very overgrown and the gravestones were hard to read. You really needed to hack bushes down to see much. I see from photographs things have been tidied up now and I imagine there would be places to enjoy a picnic. Back in the 60's, it was almost impossible to see Loch Lomond or the surrounding mountains but again, that has changed. I imagine a lot of work went into that.

i recommend a trip out to Inchcailloch. I must see if I can manage it myself this year.