Disappearing Jet

faraway saint

Yes , you certainly have a point there , in that , I'm sure those individuals would present a far more interesting spectrum of the kind of creature that is on this planet. .

However , getting an airline that would be willing to fly the "merry band" could present an insurmountable problem for the experiment. .

Having been through Kuala Lumpur's airport only days after the missing jet I don't think the Cel*ic Bhoyo with the big drum would have had aroused any suspicion. My anxiety at the security line was only allayed by Emirates own security check at the boarding gate. KL's own security were not interested in my laptop in my hand baggage or my toiletries. I was told to them leave it in case.

Isn't nature a wonderful mystery at times? I wonder if Corryvreckan is Scotland's own mini version of a gyre. To my shame I've never seen it. Wonder if rubbish gets sooked in?

Naw, it's definitely no a gyre.

It's a whirlpool caused by the narrow channel between Jura and its offshore island Scarba, having a pinnacle stuck to one side of it. A pinnacle that almost reaches the sea's surface but... disnae.

The immense tidal falls and rises that pass between all the inner Isles, already cause strong surges and currents. When the constricted watter then is also confronted by the pinnacle, is further constricted and is forced to curve round it, it causes a bit of a vortex (as far as I remember) creating the wonderful whirlpool.

Think it's the 2nd or 3rd biggest in the WORLD! Biggest is the Maelstrom, off the coast of Norway. It's noisy.

If there's any weed, rubbish, jetsam or flotsam then it can be sucked into a whirlpool - but spat out the other side. Gyres are much more passive and thus collect and retain the garbage.

I have no worthwhile comments to make on the plane. sad.png

Edited by bluto

It's a whirlpool caused by the narrow channel between Jura and its offshore island Scarba, having a pinnacle stuck to one side of it. A pinnacle that almost reaches the sea's surface but... disnae.

The immense tidal falls and rises that pass between all the inner Isles, already cause strong surges and currents. When the constricted watter then is also confronted by the pinnacle, is further constricted and is forced to curve round it, it causes a bit of a vortex (as far as I remember) creating the wonderful whirlpool.

Think it's the 2nd or 3rd biggest in the WORLD! Biggest is the Maelstrom, off the coast of Norway. It's noisy.

If there's any weed, rubbish, jetsam or flotsam then it can be sucked into a whirlpool - but spat out the other side. Gyres are much more passive and thus collect and retain the garbage.

Start you own whirlpool thread, ya dafty. bye1.gif

Let's get Roger Moore on the case, then.

I have heard that Ryanair's response is to introduce a new extra 99 euro charge to avoid disappearance in mysterious circumstances

Yeah and Austrailian air force planes would be sent out to look for hundreds of over priced tubes of Pringles strewn across the ocean !

• 1 month later...

When's the last time the TV even mentioned this? The original thread has slipped away into never-never land. Still nothing? Not a single washed-up suitcase, piece of wreckage, not one seat cushion that is also a flotation device, a body? Not one single thing?

This is seriously weird shit. I know it's a big old planet, but we have spy satellites that can tell when Vladimir Putin is going for a shite...

Are the St Mirren BoD in charge of finding the plane? Someone send Tommy Docherty out in a dinghy with a torch - he'll find em'.

Seriously though - still not a single clue and the story seemingly forgotten about on our TV screens? WTF?

Edited by pozbaird

When's the last time the TV even mentioned this? The original thread has slipped away into never-never land. Still nothing? Not a single washed-up suitcase, piece of wreckage, not one seat cushion that is also a flotation device, a body? Not one single thing?

This is seriously weird shit. I know it's a big old planet, but we have spy satellites that can tell when Vladimir Putin is going for a shite...

Are the St Mirren BoD in charge of finding the plane? Someone send Tommy Docherty out in a dinghy with a torch - he'll find em'.

Seriously though - still not a single clue and the story seemingly forgotten about on our TV screens? WTF?

This is not unusual.

People get bored by these stories so they get dropped.

As for not being able to find it? That doesn't surprise me.

Believe it or not, large swathes of the UK airspace are apparently not covered by radar at all so it's not surprising there are parts of the Indian Ocean not covered.

What's weird is why nobody has claimed responsibility. It's as though the pilots all went to sleep leaving a toddler in charge and nobody realised they were approaching the South Pole.

This is not unusual.

People get bored by these stories so they get dropped.

As for not being able to find it? That doesn't surprise me.

Believe it or not, large swathes of the UK airspace are apparently not covered by radar at all so it's not surprising there are parts of the Indian Ocean not covered.

What's weird is why nobody has claimed responsibility. It's as though the pilots all went to sleep leaving a toddler in charge and nobody realised they were approaching the South Pole.

Aye, it's weird all right. For a while the Australian navy and Australian Prime Minister were all over the story and seemed the main player in the search. You have to imagine that the families will by now have formed some sort of organised 'Hillsborough type' family group - putting pressure on for answers.

Just weird all round. Very puzzling. I'm sticking to the theory that for whatever reason, it strayed into someone's airspace where it was shot down by ground to air missiles. China, North Korea... I reckon it's being hushed up to avoid WW3 and/or Western countries having to deal with Beijing accidentally blowing up a passenger aircraft. Now that they're a big world economy and all....

Or of course, I could be talking complete and utter pish. However, until a suitcase, a seat cushion, one single actual thing turns up somewhere...

You will probably never know what really happened . .

The aircraft had gold and diamonds in the hold . Someone (quite likely the cabin crew ) knew how to make the aircraft "disappear" off radar ( IATA and the Malaysian Aviation Authority are probably embarrassed by this) . .

It did a landing at some quiet disused airfield somewhere. .

You will probably never know what really happened . .

The aircraft had gold and diamonds in the hold . Someone (quite likely the cabin crew ) knew how to make the aircraft "disappear" off radar ( IATA and the Malaysian Aviation Authority are probably embarrassed by this) . .

It did a landing at some quiet disused airfield somewhere. .

And after landing did they murder all the passengers? Or were they already dead? Were the gold and diamonds so great in value that everybody got enough to live happily ever after with new ID's?

I think it's possible that because the plane was in that kind of no man's land between two differing international air traffic authorities if something catastrophic happened it simply wasn't noticed. Then when it was realised it was missing nobody had a clue where to look.

Unfortunately, it being shot down with a subsequent cover-up is believable. I don't buy into it personally.

Just weird all round. Very puzzling. I'm sticking to the theory that for whatever reason, it strayed into someone's airspace where it was shot down by ground to air missiles. China, North Korea... I reckon it's being hushed up to avoid WW3 and/or Western countries having to deal with Beijing accidentally blowing up a passenger aircraft. Now that they're a big world economy and all....

Unlikely. Russia and the US have 'accidentally' downed passenger jets before with little consequence- indeed one of the conspiracy theories is that Lockerbie was a result of the US taking down a passenger jet not long before. I'd say we'd know about that by now.

Conspiracy theories always get going over such things. I think we'd have known by now if it was a terrorist incident or if it was hijacked/stolen for whatever reason.Given they lost track of it, it could have crashed anywhere remote over a vast area.

As Poz said in the OP, it's the total lack of any debris, not a single piece has been found. If one of the original theories is correct, in that they all passed out through lack of oxygen then the plane crashed into the see when it ran out of fuel, there would have been a large localised (then) debris field on the sea surface, of lifejackets, cushions etc, which by now will be widely dispersed along the surface currents. I suppose in due course something will wash up on the western coast of Oz.

And after landing did they murder all the passengers? Or were they already dead? Were the gold and diamonds so great in value that everybody got enough to live happily ever after with new ID's?

I think it's possible that because the plane was in that kind of no man's land between two differing international air traffic authorities if something catastrophic happened it simply wasn't noticed. Then when it was realised it was missing nobody had a clue where to look.

Unfortunately, it being shot down with a subsequent cover-up is believable. I don't buy into it personally.

If it had crashed / exploded , debris would have appeared by now , believe me. .

I don't think all the occupants are dead. I suspect , a very organised crime, that crew were in some way privy to/ complicit with . Would be called air piracy. .

Quite spooky , the whole episode. .

If it had crashed / exploded , debris would have appeared by now , believe me. .

I don't think all the occupants are dead. I suspect , a very organised crime, that crew were in some way privy to/ complicit with . Would be called air piracy. .

Quite spooky , the whole episode. .

I hope the truth does come out one day. I'm addicted to the Aircraft Disasters series on TV and the spread of wreckage can be strange. If the pilot flipped, did in the first officer and steered the jet at high speed into the ocean in a weird suicide, the spread of wreckage needn't have been all that widespread. Eventually though, some would come ashore but not necessarily in readily identifiable pieces. In the TV series we often see planes at 5,000 ft.or more at the bottom of the ocean but looking remarkably intact. I think it crashed OK but whether by accident, design or shot down, well who knows?

It took them over 70 years to find The Titanic, it took the best part of 3 years to find the Air France Airbus A330 in the Atlantic. They will find the Malaysian 777 eventually, Unless of course they really are expecting it to eventually reappear out of a massive spaceship whilst Richard Dreyfuss watches on with a half tanned face !

It took them over 70 years to find The Titanic, it took the best part of 3 years to find the Air France Airbus A330 in the Atlantic. They will find the Malaysian 777 eventually, Unless of course they really are expecting it to eventually reappear out of a massive spaceship whilst Richard Dreyfuss watches on with a half tanned face !

If it's really going to appear out of a massive spaceship, I hope they sell tickets. I'd love to see that.

When I was at Uni, there was a group of guys from Fluid Mechanics formed a band called Eddie Currents and the Whirlpools.